N16 mk2 Rear Light Mod

Picked up a unit from a breaker and before i swap them over and experiment on the cracked one i was curious if anyone has attempted/succeeded in separating the clear lens from the black plastic housing on a N16 mk2 rear light. From what i can see if it was doable then the red band around the unit will prob need attention after a refit but not 100% positive of this until i try, my main concern is the thickness of the lens as it looks like its gonna just crack on attempt anyway. Also what do you use as a seal, somehow reuse the black sticky gunk or replace with self adhesive foam tape ?

Picked up a unit from a breaker and before i swap them over and experiment on the cracked one i was curious if anyone has attempted/succeeded in separating the clear lens from the black plastic housing on a N16 mk2 rear light. From what i can see if it was doable then the red band around the unit will prob need attention after a refit but not 100% positive of this until i try, my main concern is the thickness of the lens as it looks like its gonna just crack on attempt anyway. Also what do you use as a seal, somehow reuse the black sticky gunk or replace with self adhesive foam tape ?
If I remember correctly this mod has been done by Fidd70 on his black N16.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Ignore the last part i was just being lazy :) Butyrub black non setting Rubber Sealant for use in a silicon tube gun cheap as chips on ebay.
I prefer the mk2 lights but there is to much blank red plastic doing nothing inside, pity they didn't make it one big reflector like the lower part or better still colour it black like i want to do, the same as the inside of the headlamp unit.

Last edited:
this is how it will look, pretty smart. Look in Niges N16 tread for more pics if interested.
http://www.almeraownersclub.com/threads/fidds-n16.44688/page-3

521463f6-898d-d537.jpg

this is how it will look, pretty smart. Look in Niges N16 tread for more pics if interested.

Thanks for the link thats exactly what i was thinking of doing and plenty of how to info , couldn't tell from the pics if the black was nec on the lens afterwards because of damage to the red outer band as id prefer to keep the red band, also quite surprised to see a silver light, kinda liked it.

Back
Top Bottom