not an almera but my little Ax Vts....

So been going on alot longer than expected and there have been many ups and downs along the way both with the car and my life in general.
When i first got the idea of doing the conversion i purchased a ax from the village i grew up in 2mins away from my moms, i spotted it forsale in the local paper due to needeing some welding to the sills and not having tax or test i got it resonably cheap and a friend of mine did the welding in return for me doing a head gasket for him.
I drove the car around for a few weeks commuting 80 mile a day it was ace on fuel and the engine was dry as a bone could not fault the little car.
In the mean time i spotted another ax come up on the forum forsale belonging to "axinshropshire" for scrap money so i decided id buy that to keep mobile whilst doing the conversion at home. Once i purchased the new ax i decided best to keep mine as it was and convert the new one due to needing a rear beam anyway after failing its mot and it only had the 4speed box so i got a lift from work conveniently my boss lived close to Pete (axinshropshire) and took me to fetch it where i took it to work and ......well it stayed there and i was aloud to work on it on saturdays.
When possible i worked on the car and meanwhile i purchased a good condition mk1 vts in standard form with 76k and fsh i got it cheap and thought it would be a great donor car.
I ended up doing a head gasket due to the cam ladders leaking i felt it only made sense to do it as i intended on doing the timing belt and water pump also with the engine removed it wasnt going to be much work.
Due to being original the rear beam had never been touched and ended up being completley stripped replacing necessary parts along the way. I had already got a set of rear braided brakelines i purchased a few years back from a xmas discount sale at halfords a few years back i bought them knowing one day id get the chance to do my convesion which after reading a french car magazine which featured Ryanmt's blue ax had inspired me to give it ago. I had started a gti-6 conversion to a 1.9 205 gti a few years ago which got sold off due to buying a house and regrettable i never finished so i was detirmined to complete the ax.
Anyway first off i decided after posting up on here regarding fuel consumption queries about ax's with vts engines that i wanted a quick yet economical car hence why i started the build, shortly after i split up with my partner resulting into me needing to sell the house but also opening up the oputunity for me to move closer to work, so with a ax at work stripped and a saxo vts on axle stands at home i quickly got cold feet and advertised the parts. After a little kick up the backside i decided to keep going and see how things went although all i could this was once i move i can have a stupidly fast and thirsty car due to no longer having to commute. Anyway that plan crumbled after i had to take a loan to pay for the sale of my house and realised i was going to keep the ax longer than intended.
so after many teething problems one being that i wanted to run vts wheels and werent going to bother with the image of the car but the flat arch ax didnt like running the vts rear beam so i decided i was going to get a kit and cut the arches.
I ditched the wheels for some 106 raptors which foolishly i hadnt realised had the same rolling radius as the vts wheels thanks to the larger profile. Anyhow i have stuck with them now and decided ill get some vtr alloys as i think they suite the ax and probably get them done in a gunmetal grey.
I did find a kit which unfortunately needed some work as i wanted a cheap black textured kit just to throw on shall we say this kit needed painting and after a little persuasion i spent 6hours flating the kit to get it smooth and untextured and had it colour coded wich on my opinion was the best thing to happen as i think its changed the look of the car drastically.
I did have big plans at firts for the car cam's,manifolds etc then due to changing in circumstances i opted to get the car up and running howver i feel ill maybe keep it longer than i first thought now and i do have some more ideas i want to do but i had to take a transfer at work or get made redundant so the car is still at my old workshop where i go and do a saturday just doing what i can.
Still got to fit the vts clocks and i purchased some new gear linkages but the car is almost ready just with xmas and that coming up its hard to do everything i completed the sale of my house last week so i should be able to spend a bit more time on her now,
she still needs to be cleaned up so bear with me on the pics hope you like ill update asap.

when i first got her from pete

IMAG0031.jpg

IMAG0032.jpg

IMAG0034.jpg

when i first fitted the vts alloys

IMAG0038.jpg

way to high at the back but i couldnt get the car off the ramp and out of the workshop ready for monday moring work to begin.

One of them both together
IMAG0066.jpg

The donor car
CIMG2141.jpg

IMAG0083.jpg

IMAG0084.jpg

IMAG0085.jpg

The rear beam
CIMG2258.jpg

CIMG2259.jpg

The kit after prepping
IMAG0285.jpg

IMAG0286.jpg

And a few of how she has taken shape
IMAG0368.jpg

IMAG0367.jpg

IMAG0350.jpg

IMAG0349.jpg

IMAG0348.jpg

IMAG0347.jpg

IMAG0346.jpg

IMAG0345.jpg

Right couple more pics have cleaned it now spent most of Sunday cleaning her up ready for use Friday when its taxed from only have the one crappy side picture of it cleaned at the moment.
I drove it back from work on the trade plates and found the n/s/r arch catches slightly under acceleration so may need to address that and the speedo was not working so sorted that sat just need to know what pin on the back of the clocks to get the rpm counter to work have my feed from the ecu just need to connect to the dash.
I'm in two minds what to do with the fog's as i can get some cheap eBay ones probably wont wire them in just want to fill the holes or to route a cold air duct through the n/s ? Any suggestions welcome.
Next ill be boarding out the rear and carpeting but only with some hardboard for lightness.
Ill then be looking at fitting harnesses although im unsure as what to look for when it comes to buying them? saw some on saxp that seem a good buy, anyone fitted harnesses with standard/vt seats?
Do i swap the wheels for vtr ones? looking to replace the raptors and get the vtr ones finished in a gunmetal grey what's peoples views ?
IMAG0577_zps7d12a518.jpg

IMAG0576_zps61931a98.jpg

IMAG0575_zps5322e40e.jpg

IMAG0574_zps718f632b.jpg

IMAG0573_zpsab504b47.jpg

IMAG0572_zps70736700.jpg

this is after cleaning
IMAG0592_zps60c46a69.jpg

so boarded out the rear (sorry for crap pics).
IMAG0623_zps7e909078.jpg

IMAG0627_zps9079f732.jpg

IMAG0628_zpsba8de66e.jpg

Also fitted my 4-2-1 having to re route the lamba sensor wiring, will be fitting the scorpion system next weekend when it arrives.
hoping to get the quick shifter fitted tomorrow but i have got to fit coilovers on my mates mx5 so ill see how the day goes.

unfortunately im going to put her up for sale and if i can get the right price for her ill be replacing her with my old Almera gti shame i cant have both.

I used to have a black gt was a rocket back in the day. Agree with sim something just looks odd on you're Ax. Around the back end I think.

Think the odd look is because the rear arches are rounded instead of straight, nice build though. Good luck with whatever you decide to do with it.

So bit of an update I still own her (at the moment :D ) treated myself to some new wheels.
Bought these little beauties off saxp and ordered my tyres from camskills.
Fitted the scorpion and im very impressed few little flames popping out of the back when you roll of the throttle .....although the missus wasn't too impressed driving home from visiting family in the dark whilst im looking in the rear view at the flashing from the back :lol: .

IMAG0627_zps9079f732.jpg

IMAG0673_zpsa6034164.jpg

IMAG0662_zps6dacd684.jpg

IMAG0667_zpsdbb6d602.jpg

IMAG0666-1_zps5c32f8a8.jpg

no way a blast from the past i used to have one when i first past my test lol, great little lightweight motor shifts like a go kart top write up on this mate nice work

Back
Top Bottom