Power steering cooler pipe

Hi, my Almera decided it didn't like having any power steering in it anymore so emptied it all over the road the other day.

It turns out it was a split in the power steering cooling pipe just where it goes past the rad at the front. I have been told the new pipe has been discontinued so I was wondering if it would do any harm to remove the cooler pipe altogether and loop it near the reservoir or if there was any other permanent fix I can do. I have put a jubilee type clip over the leak which has stopped it for now but I don't want to get rid of the car as it's only got 60K on the clock and just passed it's MOT and runs really well.

It's a 2000 1.5 S model. Any help much appreciated!

None of my n16s have had a PAS cooler pipe, i thought it was an N15 thing.

Must have used them on the first reg N16s too. Just loop the pipe as i cant see it boiling the fluid.

I think that's probably my best option, just wondered if it would cause any problems on going but if they removed the cooler on later models of the N16 then it shouldn't cause any problems.

Cheers for your help!

I will say

With my DC2 on track at Donnington I had some issues with cooling the power steering fluid even with a OEM cooler

Du to the extended high RPM all the joints on the high pressure pipe started leaking due to the fluid thinning out.

I also had intermittent power steering failure about 20 minutes in.

Mind you I didn't let that drop below 7.5k rpm allday.

Might be fine on a GTi with the lower rev limiter but with some VVL applications it might be worth keeping

Hi from australia. Here only the auto n15s have ps cooler pipe. Both my manual n15 ga16de pulsars are looped just near where the line comes through the front support brackets.

Sent from my phone

I will say

With my DC2 on track at Donnington I had some issues with cooling the power steering fluid even with a OEM cooler

Du to the extended high RPM all the joints on the high pressure pipe started leaking due to the fluid thinning out.

I also had intermittent power steering failure about 20 minutes in.

Might be fine on a GTi with the lower rev limiter but with some VVL applications it might be worth keeping

The Autechs was removed and the line looped before I got the car, was looking into getting a proper rad style cooler for it, you could even plumb it into the 2 ports on the bottom of your rad....

8.4k here and no cooling issue. Stupid Honda.

Might just be the ratio of the pump or the fluid was overdue to be changed.

It can't do any harm I guess except leak.

Back
Top Bottom