:( :( :( :(

S5001137.jpg

S5001138.jpg

S5001139.jpg

S5001140.jpg

S5001141.jpg

S5001142.jpg

S5001143.jpg

A few month's ago this all had paint on! look after your car and if you see aly little bubble's get it sorted!!!! It doesnt take long to drop off!!!

and Geeteeaye how did you miss this???
S5001144.jpg

christ thats nasty!!
reminds me i need to get the rear N/S arch done, its the only rusty arch now, my fix of the O/S arch seems to be holding up well :D

got a few bits on mine ,took it to a local bodyshop and they quoted £800-£900 although they tried to tell me that i needed a new rear sill on the passengers side just 2 weeks after it passed the mot!! :eek: i am going to do mine myself but not a clue what to do ,halp /advice please, the sill is ok had it checked at 2 other garages :)

truckingracer said:
got a few bits on mine ,took it to a local bodyshop and they quoted £800-£900 although they tried to tell me that i needed a new rear sill on the passengers side just 2 weeks after it passed the mot!! :eek: i am going to do mine myself but not a clue what to do ,halp /advice please, the sill is ok had it checked at 2 other garages :)

ive got a book ill scan it and put it up?

SirMixalot said:
JohnyGti, that is nasty...how long did it take to get like that?!!?

Which one? That makes a Gti pretty uneconomical to repair!

well it had bubble's all over the arches when i got it a year ago took about 3 month's for the paint to drop off! must have been like that for a while tho! also i must have been blind the day i got it because when i got home i was like... where did that come from??? :lol:

dereham resprays on rashes green ind est in dereham got a good rep but i think they just try to fob people of with bullshit to scam extra cash :mad: hows the lights coming on any joy yet??? if so lets see the pics!
cheers johnygti that will help a lot ,just heard my colour is a pain to match up :(

mine was like this
DSC00712small-1.jpg

now its like this
IMG_0276copy.jpg

took about a weekend to do the arch and sill, involving removing all rust, welding, fillering and painting. it seems to be alright so far, i did it about 2months ago and we've had lots of rain since then :)
give it a go yourself, its good fun :)

i was quoted 4-500 to have all arches done even though they arent that, bad but they will cut out the arch and reweld a new one in but a different type because apparently the reason the arches rust is it a water trap due to 2 sheets of metal folded over to give th arch edge its strength.

Nice job on the those arches!

TruckingRacer, indicators are deglobed, painted, and sitting pretty.
Will do the headlights when I can forget the smell of baked stikaflex and white spirit.. :cool:

yeah, its alaska blue, just went to the local spray store and gave them the paint code (Bp0) and asked for a litre of paint...they went away and mixed it up, it was £25 for a litre. i also have a spray gun and compressor for it. its alright to match, i got it pretty much prefect on that arch and have painted a bumper (about to upload a picture in another thread) which is perfect, just gotta practise with smaller bits really.

cheers nice one ,i have a mate who has a spray booth in his dads barn will take it up there and see what happens :)
sirmixalot get it done iwant to see the results of your hard labour,wre you parked near the bob carter centre on sat morning ,saw a red "r" gti was in a hurry so only a quick glimpse as i shot past ??

my car is a 97 and not got a great deal of rust to the arches! even decided to give away a VERY good rust free wing to kow, well, swapped for his downpipe so i can get my exhaust sorted :P

I had the same issue. Used an angle grinder and some filler... no bubbles yet... was about a year ago... :D

Mines jsut started on 3 of the arches & a local bodyshop in Glasgow only want £70 an arch to repair/respray & from the number of nearly new cars they had in to repair must be a decent place...

Just got to start saving so I can get them done before the winter!!

mines one of the oldest almeras on here and isnt like that :P

well it had some bubbling on one front wing (only tiny compared to that though), which i have re shaped so that will be sorted soon anyway, i think mine must have lived in a garage or something like that tbh.

the 2 pieces of metal is only a rust trap if it isnt kept clean, no almera will ever rust at the rear arches if all metal is painted and its kept clean, mud inside the arches will soon start the rust off though, obviously the fronts are more awkward though as theres nowhere you can really clean, just make sure inside is rust proofed and theres no bare metal etc.

Back
Top Bottom