the N16 almera diesels...

Hi all,

Well its time for me to look for another car, and since having this 1.5e N16 i'm kinda hooked on Almera's. I've decided that i'm going to go for one of the diesels however i would like a little clarification on which engine etc is used in the following cars:

Almera 2.2 Di SE (i believe this is a 'TDI' engine, nissan built?)

Almera 2.2 dCi 112 SXE (this uses the renault engine? and if im not mistaken is also turbo'd?)

Almera 2.2 dCi 136 SXE (this again uses the turbo'd renault engine?)

could someone kindly clarify this for me and which of the diesels use a turbo etc etc and which can be easily remapped.

I've heard a few horror stories regarding the renault dCi engines, wondering what members experiences have been like.

i'm leaning slightly towards the 112 dCi purely from an insurance perspective, but if the 2.2 Di SE is a stable engine and is turbo'd then i'd probably end up with that as i believe the insurance group is lower on the Di than it is on the dCi

many thanks

ed wont be here untill monday,

but the diesels engines in the dci almeras are 100% nissan :)
also the 136 was only produced from 03' and the 112 is nearly the same although the 136 has a front mounted intercooler and different mapping on the ecu, and there are some other differences to, but ed knows what they are, :)

def go for a 136, so much better than the 112, and youll be getting about 37-45mpg, and 500+ miles to a tank, excelent handling,

think you can one up for about £3.5-4.5k now, my girlfriend got hers for £4.500 for her 03' sxe 136 5 door in techno grey, but it had 1 previous owner and 43k miles, and been looked after,
from a issan main dealer,

try ringing your local nissan dealer, and ask them to do a uk wide search and see what they find, i did, and they only had 4 in the whole UK!! at leat it will have a warrantee, service history, etc ,
wierd as we went to a local car dealer and they said they dont have one but can get one but it would cost £7k!
so nissan was cheaper :)

:)

hm, interesting

in an ideal world i would much rather go for the 136 but because of insurance constraints i'd have to be 21 before they insure me on that, but tbh im just looking for an upgrade on the 1.5e i've got at the moment with hopefully some improvement in mileage (i'm doing mainly motorway mileage) and a little more 'poke'

these issues that the engines had, does anyone have any idea what they were?

I ask because a close cousin of mine recently bought a 2004 primera 136 sxe (which i understand uses the same engine as the almera?) and it kept giving him issues and he got rid of it after a few months,

basically, the Engine management light came on and gave an issue in the fuel regulator/pump as a fault code, this was changed as was the turbo but to no avail, ended up with a passat

i'm just trying to do my research well in advance of purchasing so that i know what to look for etc when going to buy.

my budget is a little restricted at 2,500-3000 of her queens finest, so im looking at a late 2002/2003 possibly early 2004 if im lucky (52/03/53/04), mileage isnt too much of an issue again as long as its been looked after
many thanks

I paid £2450 for my 03 2.2 sxe with 70k on the clock mpg is 39 that's b roads and town! I'm 24 and costs me £400 fully comp! Since I've had it i've had a wheel bearing, fan belt, battery and tyres and service! Done all the work myself so only cost £300 to get it purrfect again! Go for it!

went to see an almera today,

2003 (53) Almera 2.2 Td SVE 112, 5dr

had 107,000 on the clock with history up to 86,000 so was well overdue for a service

the gear stick had a huuge amount of play in it, and the air bag light was flashing so i decided to leave it. looks and feels much nicer than the current (P1 N16) that i've got however.

contacted insurance company and to go from the 1.5e to the 2.2 dCi 112 it would only cost me a further 115 quids which isnt too bad

gna keep an eye out for one now i reckon

well im not sure that the 112 diesel will give you a bit more 'poke' :lol:

its def the 136 to go for, :)
if not get the 1.8 petrol sxe :)

You can insure the 136 @ Admiral/Elephant/Bell at any age - they'd insure me on it at 18 when I bought my 1.5.

Remember to check for seized brake calipers and check out the state of the front crossmember. Could be pretty bad at those kind of mileages.

Celtic tuning do remaps for all the N16 turbo diesels from the P1 DI at 150bhp, 249lb/ft to the 136DCI at 170bhp, 284lb/ft. My DI has the remap it makes a huge difference over stock, well worth it if you buy any of the N16 diesels.

http://www.celtictuning.co.uk/

dont buy a turbo diesel thats missed too many service intervals or has extended periods with no signs of a service.

you cant miss oil changes on a turbo car.

wonder if ed knows about thses people?
although a very long way to go :)

I never knew they remapped the N16 dci until the other day when I was having a rake around. If its similar to the remap for the di it's just a software remap like the vag cars so they can send an agent to you.

I spoke to Celtic Tuning over a year ago. They couldnt do it then. Are we sure they can remap the DCi now? Have they done it before? Are they aware of the Denso ECU?

I'm not being an arse, I really would like to know! :)

I never trust the list of cars they can do on websites of tuning companies now. 99.99% of the time I calll them up and they can't do it. 98% of those don't even know what I'm talking about when I mention the difference between the 2003+ diesel engine and the Denso ECU.

Back
Top Bottom