1.6vvl-2.0 convertion

1.6vvl-1.8/2.0 convertion

can anyone tell me exactly what is involved?
is it a case of putting the 2.0 crank and rods and leaving the 1.6 pistons as I belive they have got valve cutouts in them
any info would be great thanks :confused:

Swap the crank & rods from the SR20DE.

Use the SR16VE pistons, but you compression will be through the roof, in the range of 14:1.

Get a machine shop to skim a couple of millimetres off each piston crwon and it will take the compression down a bit.

Oh and while you are at it, throw the stock rods away and get some Eagle rods.

They are lighter than the stock rods and will help with bearing longevity and engine response.

would the sr20de pistons fit with a skim? as I have the sr20 bottom end and could get it ready just to drop in with skimmed pistons and eagle rods

You'll need the 16VE pistons, to keep your high compression, otherwise it would slow it right down and probably run terrible.

GTi kurt said:
You'll need the 16VE pistons, to keep your high compression, otherwise it would slow it right down and probably run terrible.

The compression will still be high with the SR20DE flat top pistons as the combustion chamber is smaller on the VE head.

You would still net in excess of 11:1 compression.

You will however be restricted to certain camshafts, as the SR20DE pistons don't have valve pockets cut into the crowns.

nos4a2 said:
You also need to sort out oil lines for the new bottom end

If he is just changing the crank and rods, then he won't have to sort out oil lines.

If he was swapping the cylinder head onto an SR20DE bottom end then that would be the case, but I don't think that is the plan!

Cheers

Dave

anyone know the compression of the sr16ve/20ve and the good old sr18de/20de.
I might be getting an import pulsar gti with the sr18de engine would it be better to use the 1.8 crank and rods to keep it a more revy engine?
Thanks for the Help

Back
Top Bottom