205 Mi16

• Thread starter Thread starter Veero
  • Start date Start date
V

Veero

Right since I posted up in another thread about my 205 and it had quite a bit of interest I thought I would show it off a bit more here ;)

End of 2005, still as a 1.6 GTi with 1.9 GTi wheels:

clean01.jpg

It started life as a 1.6 8v 205 GTi, quite quick but so much fun to drive. Then I started driving it to and from Totnes every day and it started wearing out, the engine had done over 110k miles so I decided to put something with a little more pep in it.

I found this:

Dsc00107.jpg

in a scrappy and bought it. Turned out to have a snapped cambelt but the engine wasn't terminally damaged so I rebuilt the whole thing from scratch resprayed it and took a week off work last April to fit it.

And in the end fitted this badboy to it:

DSC00668.jpg

This is the end result (bear in mind it still has 1.6 badges on and is running a pinch under 160bhp):

DSC00707.jpg

DSC00708.jpg

I've taken it to Castle Combe on track days and pre-conversion I would just get 96mph down the main straight, with the Mi16 in there it almost touches 115 on the same section!

Anyway here it is in its former glory as of last summer:

DSC02653.jpg

DSC02649.jpg

During the rebuild I fitted larger 286mm brakes off a 206 GTi180 so it stops as well. I have a set of Bilstein Tarmac spec coilovers to go on the front and a lowered disc rear axle to fit.

Currently it SORN'd awaiting me to get out of being so skint and repairing the damage some bell end made a week before I SORN'd it, went into the back of me when in traffic his foot slipped off the clutch :mad: Not a happy bunny.

Heres a gallery of the full rebuild.

Thanks for reading :)

Veero

Very nice and i bet good fun but:

"Then I started driving it to and from Totnes every day and it started wearing out, the engine had done over 110k miles "
Wouldn't be a problem with a jap engine!!! ;)
Sorry had to say it!

renton said:
Wouldn't be a problem with a jap engine!!! ;)
Sorry had to say it!

That's exactly why I bought the Almera :P ;)

Im only working there for another few months, so hopefully when I get my next job I will be living a lot closer to work, so the Mi will be resurrected :D

That is a lovely car, and your Almera is a mint example too.

Ever done any 1/4 mile runs in it?

GTi kurt said:
That is a lovely car, and your Almera is a mint example too.

Ever done any 1/4 mile runs in it?

Not yet. Airfield trackday, had a Mazda RX8 side by side up to 140 though. ;)

i have a friend who builds alot of them.hes now into gti-6 conversions.impreza catcher with that engine! also carried out a 406 8v turbo conversion,also a quick car! i still hanker after one!

jealous. I want an Mi in my 205. in fact, I'd be happy with any engine in my 205, as long as the bastard thing runs!

I'd kill for a GTi-6 turbo in there though.

sussex_gti said:
i have a friend who builds alot of them.hes now into gti-6 conversions.impreza catcher with that engine! also carried out a 406 8v turbo conversion,also a quick car! i still hanker after one!

Not Maxi perchance? He's down Sussex way somewhere.

Yeah these engines give the 205 a whole new lease of life, really keep up with alot of modern faster cars confusing lots of people who have spent 10's of £k on theirs ;)

My next project is to get another 205, totally strip it down and fit a Citroen/Pug 2 litre 8 valve turbo from a 605/XM, slap a bigger turbo on it. That WILL be rapid :D

GTI-6s IMO are a little over hyped. Not fantastic engines, they eat cambelts and are heavier, but more potential in the head and manifold. Just whack a 6 speed box on an Mi instead. GTi-6s are best left in 306s for the rarity value tbh.

aren't the GTi-6 engines something like 170 standard?

[edit]

Veero, you'll know teh answet to this. What's teh difefrence between 306 S16 engines and the Mi16? AFAIK isn't it the cast iron bototm end and 2.0 insead of 1.9?

GTi kurt said:
Yeh, 167. But never under estimate a GTi. lol

true the SR20 isn't legendary in tuning circles for no reason.

hmmm. maybe I should scrap teh GTi almera conversion and stick the SR in my 205 :D.

167 is only the peak bhp though, it doesnt really mean anything unless two identical cars are racing, one is 167bhp and the other is less than that.

lol, I know :D. but the N15 is still a heavier car, though I don't know what the torque/power curves look like when comparing the 2 engines.

sussex_gti said:
no,he lives down in kent.never seen anyone so good with a 205,can easily do a mi16 conversion in a day.top guy.

Yeah damn right.

TBH a 306 GTi-6 should see off a mera without much effort. Must have been napping. ;)

Back
Top Bottom