A Few Quick Questions On Bodywork

Whats that black gunky stuff used to seal tail lights in place???

Any one here have any idea what that black gunky stuff used to seal tail lights in place with called and whrere can i get some as i am going to remove my tail lights to spray them to match me car but i will need to put some more fresh gunky stuff on (them / rear pannel whare they are mounted)to seal them thanks .

truckingracer said:
i think you can just reheat the stuff (hair-dryer) to make it plyable/sticky again, saves time & hassle ;)
nice idea but i dont own a hair dryer and i dont think me missus would be happy me using hers for that job specially if i got some of that gunky stuff on the hair dryer sa i am a fucking clumsy bastard lol.

Its called Stickaflex, you can get some kind of equivalent in Halfords, although when i changed my rearlights i didnt put any extra on and the old stuff just stuck back together :cool:

complete respreay / colour change questions

anyone here have any idea how much it would cost to have enough paint mixed to do a full respray ?
aswell any ideas how much it could cost to have the job done + rust removal when ive got the paint?,
I dont want to pay the earth but i want a good job done .
Im seriously considdering the colour used on R34 SKYLINES, BAYSIDE BLUE

K33 ELV said:
Its called Stickaflex, you can get some kind of equivalent in Halfords, although when i changed my rearlights i didnt put any extra on and the old stuff just stuck back together :cool:
CHEERS MATE!! :)

1).Does anyone here have any idea how much it would cost to have enough paint mixed to do a full respray ?
aswell any ideas how much it could cost to have the job done + rust removal when ive got the paint?,
Im seriously considdering the colour used on R34 SKYLINES, BAYSIDE BLUE
I dont want to pay the earth but i want a good job done.
if anyone has any idea it would realy help
thank you
Rick :)

1 1/2 litre should spray a car - upto 2ltr max

350 - 700 is decent on a standard colour - depending on place

depending on how bad rust is and extent of work - were on car etc!
rust can look minimul exterior open it up and can be extensive!

cant really price that!

quickdraw said:
1 1/2 litre should spray a car - upto 2ltr max

350 - 700 is decent on a standard colour - depending on place

depending on how bad rust is and extent of work - were on car etc!
rust can look minimul exterior open it up and can be extensive!

cant really price that!
If i were to treat the rust myself what would i need to do to treat it. It is only minor rust. A few small patches on rear arches and a slightly bigger bit about 3 inches long by an 1/2 inch wide on the arch of the drivers side wing where it meets the front bumper i spose ill just change the front wing though.

Grrr Rust

If i were to treat the rust myself what would i need and have to do to treat it? It is only minor rust A few small patches on rear arches and a slightly bigger bit about 3 inches long by an 1/2 inch wide on the arch of the drivers side wing where it meets the front bumper i spose ill just change the front wing though.

yeah just change the wing if you're going for a full respray, to get rid of rust (presuming it hasn't eaten all the way through) sand back down to the metal, apply hammerite rust protect liberally, letting it dry between coats (can get it from halfords), then sand smooth when dry with 1200/1800 grit wet/dry paper until it's blended in and it's ready for priming.

Would recommend getting under the car and waxoyling it, especially inside the arches, to prevent the rust coming back though.

Get it painted professionally. Its a bit of a cop out but i did. Had them ground back, treated and painted before the rust became visible on the wings at all. it helps that i have a mate who works in a body shop and is shit hot, ask around, everyone knows someone who knows a sprayer.

well i am eventually when i got some money saved planning a respray and collour change but to keep cost down i was gonna deal wiv rust myself

the threads you have made have been murged into one and moved here.
the newbie section is for hello's and such not really ment for a barrage of questions :)
also the search function is a good tool to use ;)

ps...

welcome to the club! if you join up you'll have FULL access to every section of the forum :D

Back
Top Bottom