ABS problems??

Its almost a natural response to pump the brakes if the wheels lock. No need to slam the pedal to the floor to stop quickly. Its all about being smooth.

it doesnt cost that much to take abs out, i think it's gunna cost me about £20 at the most, and eddie have you actually ever had the abs kick in when braking hard, it's a fucking pile of shite and almost more dangerous with it as the brakes just die.

Remember hopelessness almost binning his car into a Peugeot 206 a year or so ago in the wet, he didnt have abs & slammed on the anchors

Its more for emergency situations in the wet & need to brake. If something happens out of the blue your immediate reaction is to slam on the brakes usually dont have time to think oo lets feather the brakes and simulate abs.

Just felt like it :innocent:

it doesnt cost that much to take abs out, i think it's gunna cost me about £20 at the most, and eddie have you actually ever had the abs kick in when braking hard, it's a fucking pile of shite and almost more dangerous with it as the brakes just die.

TRUE, i've taken the fuse out for my ABS an all

:rolleyes: pedantic

Biscuit?..

Meh its good for emergency situations, Im no expert on the field but my own personal experiences with ABS I highly rate it. It could be to do with the fact I have 4 pot front brakes which is better able to mimic pulsing of the brakes then a single larger pot.

Removing ABS gives you a shorter theoretical braking distance in the dry, for track etc im sure its great :)

I almost when into the back of someone who HARSHLY braked last minute infront of me.

I can swear on my life, if i had ABS i would've hit him

abs in my gti almost cause me to go into the back of someone when it was wet.

I love not having it in the tech, learning to brake properly for situations comes with experience people who just jump on the pedal and hope lack the experience

newer ABS systems maybe ok, but ours are 10+ years old now....

I think it depends on the situation road surfaces etc, Hopelessness only had split second to react. Immediate impulse is to hit on the brakes hard, no time to be a driving guru massaging the brakes here. He skidded and went up a 206's arse.

Another situation I didn't have abs on my 206 pug.. driving back from Devon motorway pileup in front almost instantly I brake hard as fuck in a instant cloud of tyre smoke. Arrived something like 2 inches from the back of the guy in front. If I had abs I wouldn't of shit my pants so hard ... arriving abit further away from the car in front when finally came to stop

I'm a realist, I drive my car every day in all weather's often in unknown locations. As much as id love to think im Michael Schumacher im far from it when tired and driving home late at night... I know with alot of variables ABS is a safety feature worth keeping :)

Also I think removing ABS might invalidate insurance unless you tell them the car's been modified

I'd just like to say my Willwood 4 pots with 5.1 fluid improved the ABS compared to old sticky single pot GTi calipers. Look at modern car's I had a go in a 05 plate focus the brakes were amazing and so was the ABS. Think its all down to technology here and car setup. Some may be biased to negatively down-shoot the ABS as they might be running sticking GTi callipers or old brake fluid that doesn't help ABS function correctly.

good tyres + good perception + good brakes + good driver = no need for ABS / better than ABS

you should be reading the road ahead of you and anticipating hazards before they happen. you should rarely be surprised by something that happens on the road. as such the above negates the need for ABS or ESP or TCS. as all they do is instill false confidence in unqualified drivers.

the ford has ABS... but its never activated, even with snow... i dont claim to be a brilliant driver. im just sensible...

Thing's sometimes happen that aren't predictable and no matter how much common sense you have ...will be beneficial here. You cant be prepared for everything... one day ABS might just save your skin.. providing you have a well serviced and fully functioning ABS system ;)

modern good abs maybe helpful, dunno never used it

mera abs, suucckkss

however, i think that eddie when you say if something unpredictable happens it may save you thats assuming you jump on the brakes in panic.

However, if you're not used to abs as a crutch, you'll be conditioned to use the brakes properly even in a panic filled, emergency stop situation. the reason abs helps is for people just stamping on the pedal, through never having got used to abs, you don't do that anyway.

like i say though, dunno about modern abs it might be loads better. But the touchy, sensitive abs on my GTi was rubbish

Reactions: IT
Bingo!

however, if you're not used to abs as a crutch, you'll be conditioned to use the brakes properly even in a panic filled, emergency stop situation. The reason abs helps is for people just stamping on the pedal, through never having got used to abs, you don't do that anyway.

I was scared more when I put the brakes on and abs took them off..... that shit me up it was waaaank

Right, nice thread, exactly the problem I have! I just failed the MOT for ABS light on :(
I will be doing this exact trick tomorrow, when I get the car back from the Garage.
I have 10 days and counting lol.

Stardraw, I hope you would be kind enough to help! Much appreciated.

Sorry, I meant Quickdraw. Stardraw is a completely different thing.

OK, off out to try this now.

To be honest eddie is right in a way but also wrong. It has saved me from a crash but some times almost caused me to crash. I was diving along a this guy pulled out on me I done a emergency stop and abs kicked in, I was going to hut him but I swerved to muss him. I think if I never had abs I would if hit him as I would of been able to steer the car. I think I was less then 10cm to his bumper.

With the 4 pot brakes and coilovers I think I can do with them being less sensitive. I start to brake and if there is a big bump abs kicks in. There are a few next to my house that I have to slow right down for just before I get to a cross junction. Also I can't remove the abs on my car as I need to speedometer as it runs from abs and I can't convert it as the signals are different from the phase 1 and phase 2 (my speedo runs on can bus from the abs)

The brakes and abs are also down to your tires if your tires are crap abs will kick in all the time as its loosing traction.

Neither of my N15 Almeras have had ABS so i cant contribute.

Now this isnt ABS related at all, but is brake related..so thought id mention it in here. Id noticed my brakes felt really shit on the Autech at times (low rpm) but ive since realised its the big duration cams causing it, theres very little assistance from the brake servo (lack of vacuum due to cams)..ive had a few scary moments already. :whistling:

I had moments with the stock.brakes on the tech with the pads it came with. They were useless unless they had some heat in them

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

yeah issues with the hubs/sensors!

in the fuse section in the engine bay!

if you earth out number 4 pin - (reading top left to right)
then turn ignition on!"

the light will flash a sequence

IE - 1 longish one with a break then 2 quick flashes
this equals 12
1 + 2 = 12 etc

2 quick flashes pause then another 2 quick flashes = 22

so on!

do that and tell us what number it says!

if its intermittant you may have a cv-joint on the way out!
you got any vibration? check hub nut etc

basically you need to check the sensors on the hub
  • for excessive play in wheel bearing
  • faulty sensor (wire trapped or fraying)
  • sensor ring (toothed ring around cv joint)

Who can tell me how to fix a 22 (front right sensor short circuit)?

Trug

Ok, tested the resistance of my wheel sensors tonight, the drivers side is showing 0.9K Ω and the passenger side is showing 1.5K Ω. The test was done both oon the connectors under the bonnet and at the control unit plug.

The FSM states the acceptable range is 0.8K Ω to 1.2K Ω.
The self diagnostics on the ABS say front right sensor short circuit (as above), yet the drivers side is within range, the passenger side isnt.......

HELP!!!

Where do I go from here?

Trug

Back
Top Bottom