Australia's First VZ-R

So... I'm back... Kinda... I've been absolutely flat out over Christmas and the New Year and haven't had a chance to log in for well over a month...

I know there's some PMs about parts I need to reply to.... which I will get to next... however I know some people have followed my 2 year long saga about getting VZ-Rs approved for Australian Roads...

I started off with a GA16DE Pulsar 5 years ago but thanks to AOC and Jap sites I fell in love with the 2 Door N15 (which was never sold in Aus)....

So we set about getting VZ-Rs importable to Australia.....

and here begins the story... (as copied from PGA)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Short Version
  • Got obessed with VZ-Rs
  • Applied for SEVS (successfully)
  • Bought 3 VZ-Rs
  • Waited a long time
  • Went Crazy
  • Now On Road.

*WARNING: There is a distinct lack of dragons in this story.

This story began in August 2005 when forum member vrfour (Kristian) put out a call for Magazine articles on the N15 VZ-R.... After just returning from NZ on a holiday and having bought parts from NZ I figured I could get my hands on copies of NZ Performance Mag which had featured the VZ-R.

Over a period of months Kristian and I (with the assistance of other forum members) assembled the application for SEVS in order to make the N15 3 Doors eligible for import. In January 2006 the ruling was made in our favour and we started the search for an appropriate test vehicle.

In May 2006 we found a nice stock Grade 4 Auction vehicle which I purchased. It was brought to Australia and prepared for emissions...
BlackFront.jpg
BlackRear.jpg

About a month later I couldn't pass up the opportunity of buying an N1 that had some cosmetic panel damage.
WhiteFront.jpg
WhiteRear.jpg

This was shipped directly to Adelaide and was fixed up buy M&C Doyle Smash to make it look immaculate... It's fate was then to sit in a shed whilst the evidence package was completed on the first test car in a workshop in Brisbane.

I then couldn't resist the urge and impulse bought this little puppy in about August 2005..

BlueFront.jpg
BlueRear.jpg

The Evidence Package
In order to import a VZ-R they have to be proven to meet Australian Design Regulations. This requires extensive testing and documentation of all aspects of the car. A crash victim was required so a base model 3-door was brought over and had side impact testing carried out. Once the evidence was submitted and approved it was a downhill run.

The Government Inspection
DoTaRs personally inspects every test vehicle to make sure that the workshop has properly complied the car to ADR standards. This inspection took place a couple of months ago and the wait was on for all Discussion Items to be cleared and the Compliance Plates approved.

The Final Result
So.... more than two years in the making the end was finally getting near. About a month ago the car was finally given it's compliance plate and I got it trucked down from Brisbane ready to start it's life as an Aussie VZ-R.

This is how she looked when I picked it up and drove it home for the first time.
IMG_5437Large.jpg

After a good wash it was starting to make me happy!
IMG_5447Large.jpg

I slapped some Aussie Standard wheels on her and took her to get an RTA Blue Slip (Roadworthy Inspection). After some initial dramas, the blue slip was finally passed!
IMG_5458Large.jpg

Now came the fun bit.. Two years of waiting... and finally, A VZ-R was road registered in Australia!
IMG_5459Large.jpg

It was time to test out what the baby could do!
IMG_5475Large.jpg

After a couple of days and with the help of SSSanctum and Rad we switched out the lowered suspension and put in a set of Tein Type Flex coilovers.
IMG_5490Large.jpg

Finally I had a chance to pick up my custom plates and put them on. I also switched in to the running shoes (15" Volk TE37s with Azeni RT215s) for a quick strap at WSID.
141207073.jpg

So.. this is the end result.
IMG_5496Large.jpg

IMG_5499Large.jpg

IMG_5500Large.jpg

First Drag Outing - More Details to come.

It was a disappointing night on the whole with minimal runs and not great ones at that..... but I went out with no expectations to see what could be done with a virtually stock VZ-R. I'll get my timeslips later but for the moment this is the summary of the night...

My first run was a 15.9 launching from low revs on Azeni RT215s on 35psi... (2.2 60')
Second run was tested with a much more agressive launch which led to severe axle tramp and a 16.1
Third run was run with tyres deflated to 20psi and I got down to a 2.2 60' however with a bit of a slow take off and was relatively happy with gear changes netting a 15.8
Fourth run was a mess missing 3rd gear and resulting in 16.1

MPH was a consistent 87mph for the 15.9/15.8 runs and 83mph for the other runs where 3rd gear wasn't found...

It would have been good to test the car out a bit more and work out what was best and learn to change gears. As a stock car I don't think it'd have much more than another .2 or .3 of a second to shave off however after not driving manual for a year then back out at the track again after a week and no launches there is definitely some room for improvement.

Videos
In Car Video - 15.8
View from the Stands - 16.1
View from Staging Lanes - 15.9 (vs Rad - N15 SSS)
View from Side - 16.1

Pics
wsid_071214_106b.jpg

wsidfullthrottlefriday141207_276.jpg

:) excellent! So glad to hear you're finally on the road.
Back in a nice shiny blue one too ;)

What are you going to do with the black one and the N1?

SR16VE, that is the best ever number plate for a VZ-R ever.

Shiny, my hat goes off to you, that is the ultimate in dedication to the N15. Glad to see all the waiting has paid off for you and wish you many many miles (or kilometres ;)) of happy motoring in her :D

James.

Looks mint mate. glad you finally got it into Australia after all the messing about

would be cool to have a unique car on the roads

Top marks for effort and dedication mate. Its people like yourselvs that keep faith alive in car scenes and make a difference instead of destroying it by driving like a dick or slapping filler and lights every where.

Good work.

Cheers for the comments guys....

The white wheels have semi-slicks on them so they sit on carpet most of the time and only come out to play...

The Black Car is supposedly now a week overdue (2 years, if you ask me) and they should be sending it to me in the next month or so...

The White N1 has been all touched up and resprayed and was a 'test'car' for an importing workshop. The government inspected the car last week and it was all ok so the paperwork normally takes 1-2 months before they can release it...

In answer to what am I going to do with them?! I don't know!!! The original plan was to keep the black as a daily (as we don't have black N15s) and switch all the mods over on to it..

The blue one was going to be sold however I might keep that one as a daily and sell the black.

The white N1 is getting its interior stripped and a few handling goodies (cusco 6 point roll cage, cusco front strut brace, cusco rear 3 point body brace, okuyama rear strut brace, whiteline front underbody brace & rear sway bar, Recaro Seat, Sabelt 4 point harness, Tein HAs, Whiteline camber bolts)

It'll have the white TE37s (Falken Azenis RT215) or Charcoal Buddyclub P1s (Toyo R881s) on it as it will be a 90% dedicated track car...

There's a few engine mods I have sitting around and R32 GTR Brakes however I want to keep it in the "unmodified class" which means no engine or brake work and ideally I want to see what an N1 can achieve from factory.

The most likely mods I'll do are the C's short shifter, a 3" air intake & a Greddy MSS for a lower cam switch.

If it were me I'd be tempted to keep a kitted one... plus I love KH3 black wayyy too much!
The idea of a track only N1 is cool too :)

Well done Shiney Blue what an amazing story! I didn't think Australia would ever see a 3 door Pulsar. I'd heard so many stories years ago on Pulsar group that it couldn't be done but hey looks like you proved them all wrong!

Congratulations and I hope you enjoy being unique and cruising in your 3 doors, love that N1 that is just pure class!!

Back
Top Bottom