Autech Overhaul

Decided its time I stopped neglecting it and appreciated that it performs better than my GTR on country roads (I probably just cant drive the GTR but hey!)

So Im making it look even more standard and underrated intially, with either a full or partial respray in the future.

As a few people will know, I still have a fair number of things to fit to the engine but havent had the time until lately.

While its looking a complete state bodywise, Im going to dismantle the suspension, replace the bushes with standard or uprated items, clean up the rust and respray, and then put on the KYB AGX/Pi setup from my SRi.

Current spec on the engine is:
2.0 16v Highport Autech tuned to 175ps
Fidanza Flywheel
Unorthodox Racing underdrive pulley
Energy suspension front mount

To fit:
BTCC 94/95 season IES prepped head
Thermoblok spacers
Unorthodox Racing water pump pulley

First off I removed the side skirts:

Held on underneath by these

13032008005.jpg

Started to prize the drivers side off

13032008002.jpg

Rear was hard and not budging

13032008.jpg

Eventually removed

13032008001.jpg

Heres why it wouldnt move, copious amounts of filler poured in to try and hold it on. Had to cut through it with a hacksaw blade. The front came off so easily as the two metal mounts that were glued to the inside of the skirt and attached to the two plugs, had vanished

13032008004.jpg

13032008003.jpg

The other side was easy and took about 3minutes to do

13032008006.jpg

13032008007.jpg

From the last pictures you can see im left with plastic plugs and a few holes where the plugs have gone. So these will need filled. And obviously that shocking mess on the drivers rear quarter will need a bit of work too.

Are you raking the skirts off for good? When you stay standard as in a bog standard say 1.4 ambition or you putting GTi kit on it?

Yeah the skirts are staying off, I just used to kick them as I got in the car and they get battered from all the muck on the roads around my way.

Standard as in a non-body kitted gti/sri

i get the whole reason why your taking them off, but for me its messing with the whole look of a rare car and the bodykit is what makes it the autech...

Yeah I know what you're saying Rhyd, I've been thinking about removing them for a while, as I know I couldnt really re-fit them, but the whole thing with my car is that its only got the skirts remaining. Its still got the Autech oval badge on the back though

Are you keeping the GTi spoiler though Alan?

Also, what size manifold/downpipe are you going to be using with the BTCC head?

Yeah Im keeping the GTi spoiler, I would like it to look like an unkitted GTi really.
Manifold: I was after Syms Hotshot Gen 6, but I dont think hes selling it now. So it may have to be an SSAC with the 2.5" downpipe, then Im replacing the midsection but keeping the backbox.

what the hell do you mean you havent had time until lately, you spend 3/4's of your day watching barry may on youtube!

I like it, it's still my favourite N15, I still think you should sell me that head. Or that Skyrine.

I get the non-skirts man. I've been debatting for a while wether or not to get skirts for my GTi. If, and that's a big IF, I do, it's gonna be original Nissan. Non of that other stuff. I just like my cars as original as possible in terms of body.

as much as i love seeing rare cars kept original, i cant help but think this car will look 100 times better when you have finished with it. looks like it will be a very focused car when its finished.

i would sell my lungs for that cylinder head, will have to get one in the future if i stay with the highport in the p10, any ideas what gains it will give? tbh im just doing what most people do, assuming as its off a touring car it must be great.

i get the whole reason why your taking them off, but for me its messing with the whole look of a rare car and the bodykit is what makes it the autech...

Agree with you! Amazing the amount of dirt that gets behind the sideskirts! Good luck with the project :)

as much as i love seeing rare cars kept original, i cant help but think this car will look 100 times better when you have finished with it. looks like it will be a very focused car when its finished.

i would sell my lungs for that cylinder head, will have to get one in the future if i stay with the highport in the p10, any ideas what gains it will give? tbh im just doing what most people do, assuming as its off a touring car it must be great.

cheers, the way i see it is, no bodykits better than half a bodykit. to the majority of people its just an almera with "type R" side skirts.
what i miss when driving the skyline is that everybody knows what the cars capable of. ive only had one car show an interest and that was an evo 6.
with the pulsar nobody expects it to perform how it does.

not really sure what the BTCC head will do, its been ported and polished to fuck, the oil ways have been enlarged and its had that 3 angle cut on the valve seats? i dont know if the valves are larger as well (if they are im going to have to get some new ones as I only got 2 with the head). it might be skimmed as well so it could alter the compression. then again, the autech head could be better?

an update and some guide pics for the whiteline rear ARB install

Havent updated this for a month or so, car is now lowered on the KYB AGXs and PI springs, the photos are on my phone though and I cant find the transfer cable!

Anyway, here is some pictures of the Whiteline Rear ARB install:

To begin with:
DSC05045.jpg

Have to jack it properly as you cant jack it under the rear beam:
DSC05048.jpg

The boxed kit:
DSC05049.jpg

The brake pipe holders that need the adaptor plates bolted in behind them:
DSC05046.jpg

Penetrating fluid to free the bolts (they were fair easy to remove):
DSC05047.jpg

Orientation of the adaptor plate (rear drivers side):
DSC05050.jpg

These are the replacement bolts for the brake pipe holder/adaptor plate (showing which washers to use):
DSC05051.jpg

The plate installed:
DSC05053.jpg

These are the drop link type things and the washers to use with them (there is a diagram with the kit which shows this also but its hard to tell easily what size washers it means, hopefully this will make it clearer):
DSC05052.jpg

This is the ARB Bush and D clamp installed:
DSC05058.jpg

DSC05057.jpg

DSC05055.jpg

The drop links from below:
DSC05054.jpg

And here is a picture of my car on the M6 yesterday after it overheated as some moron (me) :roll: didnt check the coolant level, luckily its fine and has been ever since the RAC checked it over.

DSC05073.jpg

And finally, the latest change to the car is some Kumho KU31s in 205/50/R15 on the front

i may still be selling my hotshot gen6 mate, just looking at a few thing's at the min, i will pm you and let you know.

Mmm well good luck to ya, cant say i agree. May as well save yourself some time and effort and go buy a Mondea estate of your going for the boring look!

May as well save yourself some time and effort and go buy a Mondea estate of your going for the boring look!

i ripped the GTi kit off of my GTi as soon as i got it, and its probably one of the fastest N/A GTi's on the forum :confused: I hate car's that are all show and no go. It's all about personal opinion mate, just because he takes a set of skirt's off a car, doesn't for a second mean hes boring or should buy a mondeo :confused: Ever heard the expression "wolf's in sheep's clothing" or "everyone loves the underdog?"

GTi bodykit's look rubbish, and the autech kit is only slightly better

P2 kit is perfect, not too much....not too little. I would take the Autech skirts off too If I owned one...even know they are from a factory tuning company people will always give you the stereotype boy racer image.

The autech skirts just got in the way, i used to kick them every time I got in the car. Im not really fussed on looks, this way I get less attention from the police as well. The whole point of this car is the power and handling imo.

Syms, im still keen on the HS Gen6 if you want to sell it, no hurry though + thanks for the kind words

Back
Top Bottom