Autech Overhaul

i ripped the GTi kit off of my GTi as soon as i got it, and its probably one of the fastest N/A GTi's on the forum :confused: I hate car's that are all show and no go. It's all about personal opinion mate, just because he takes a set of skirt's off a car, doesn't for a second mean hes boring or should buy a mondeo :confused: Ever heard the expression "wolf's in sheep's clothing" or "everyone loves the underdog?"

GTi bodykit's look rubbish, and the autech kit is only slightly better

Yeah i agree- personal opinion, i like to have a car that looks nice rather than the strip out the interior- speed only style. As an entusiast i couldnt put up with my car being quick but looking as attractive as my garden shed. Each to their own

my first GTi had a phase 1 kit on standard, which i took off cause i hated it :P

my second was non-bodykit from the factory and i put on a phase 2 full kit for about a week and took it straight back off for the standard phase 1 item's with out splitters.

I still have a phase 2 front and rear bumper with splitter's and both sideskirt's in arctic blue, done about 60miles on the road, nice and freshly sprayed just collecting dust. Don't think im gunna sell it though as i have enough money :P lol Might even have a picture of it all on somewhere....

i wouldnt under estimate what people have done to their cars on here, theres some people with bloody quick cars. I was told mine was one of the quickest about and it has had alot done in terms of engine mods but the first meet i go to stugti turns up and he's got one bloody quick car. I wouldnt like to throw too many rash statements around anymore!

on the last power run I did, was on a dyno that I cant remember the name of, they make the dyno packs too, anyway its meant to be accurate, but its about 2 foot off the ground as its not sunk into the floor, this makes it hard to get a decent fan as theirs sits on the floor, not the best but they reckon'd it was fine, any way long story short my air feeds where all bent and squashed off taking the front bumper on and off a few times last year and i didnt replace them, this combined with their shit fan meant my intake temps were in the low 40's, this was on a cold winter day, not the best then lol, they should of been in the mid to high teens for those who dont know, even with that my torque figures were 153.8 without any cam timing done(which as we know makes a big difference), even if I'd had smaller wheels on aswell would of made the torque much higher

...even know they are from a factory tuning company people will always give you the stereotype boy racer image.
Yeah I had loads of trouble with people thinking that my Autech was just a boy raced up Almera rather than a rare factory tuned model. Police even asked me what i'd done to it.:mad:

But as sri_alan says the Autech is really about the power and the handling. It's a drivers car and as a package I think it comes together really well. These guys built cars for the Japanese Touring cars they know their stuff with engines, aerodynamics and handling so to mess about with their factory settings to me seems pointless as they know what they are doing more than I do.

Heres how it currently stands:

Before new GTi spoiler

Image040.jpg

Just done 64k

Image043.jpg

New GTi spoiler with highlevel brake light

Image049.jpg

Not sure if im going to bother painting the spoiler as i quite like it in the dark blue LOL

Any more updates.. well, Ive sort of lost track of what Ive done since last time..
I'll try and run down through things:

Body work is pretty ropey to be honest, I really need to somehow finance a respray.

Last MOT it had new rear brake pipes and they re-bled it with dot 4.0 so I need to re-bleed it with dot 5.1.

In January it got a new cat back system from Powerflow, not one of my finest purchases but the blowing exhaust sounded ridiculous. I recently chopped the inward rolled pipe off by 10mm to make it a slash cut :lol: would like to get one of them 5Zigen efforts eventually though
In February (I think) I fitted the thermoblok spacers, rear Energy engine mount and FSE adjustable FPR.
In March I put in NGK Iridium plugs (heat range 7)
In April I put on Magnecore KV85 Leads & stripped it out up to the front seats.

At the moment Ive had a rough 0-60 of 6.4seconds and the power to weight ratio must have increased as I had no trouble pissing off a Clio Sport 197, a 182 and making a 172 shit himself coming into a roundabout :lol: - it may seem like bragging but Im not, I just dont really have any thing else to go by as I cant afford RR time.

The rear anti-roll bar is about the same size as the front, 28mm I think? The rears really tight now and you make the back step out quite easily but it doesnt feel out of control.

Im really happy with it just now, it pulls quite hard all the way to the redline with no flat spots, its just not quite there visually. Ideally I'd like a non body kit P2 bumper to finish it off prior to a respray & de-rust session.

Back
Top Bottom