Cleaning Techniques: A write up.

Just thought i'd throw together a cleaning guide for you all in a bid to rid the world of swirl marks and people who clean cars with Fairy Liquid (the uk's number 1 selling car cleaner! Fact!) In my opinion is it all boils down to technique rather than product as different people are happy with different levels of shine. The important thing for me to have, and for you to remember ,is how to keep that shine and protect and 'seal' your paint in the process. So ill begin:

To wash the car:

1.Hose off any loose dirt form the cars surface.

2.Spray alloy wheels with your choice of cleaner (Meguiars Hot Rims for me)

3. Using an alloy wheel brush, aggrivate the wheel cleaner into stubborn areas and rinse the wheel afterwards.

4.Fill one bucket with a warm solution of water and cleaning product (Meguiars NXT car wash for me)

5. Fill a second bucket with cold water, this is to rinse your wash mitt or sponge (prefferably a mitt) after every pass over the car. This helps to eliminate further swirl marks as it keeps loose grit away from your cleaning impliment for longer.

6.For ease of drying, remove any hose attachments and use a steady flow of water to rinse the car, the weight of the free flowing water will perfectly rinse the car and 'sheet' itself off the panels leaving less to dry afterwards.

7. Using your choice of either Chamious Leather of Microfibre drying towel dry the car (preferrably out of direct sunlight on darker cars to avoid stubborn marks) not forgetting those bastard water traps such as: tailgate, mirror bases, rear quarter windows and below rear lights and filler cap. My best advice would be to take the car for a quick spin after your main drying is done to let these water traps empty.

These steps should give you the following results. I have used my freinds Focus, which i have helped him build, as an example as your all most likely sick of mine by now. Although there is a distinct theme running with the 2 cars!

DSC03167.jpg

Now that the paint is clean we need to make it shine and give it ' depth'. To do this apply your polish of choice (Meguairs Stage 2 Deep Crystal in this case) in small circles and apply it thinly. This gives the best level of shine while being easier to buff off and lessens chances of further swirling.

While most people would be happy to leave it at that what some dont realise is that a polish (dependant on brand) can leave little or no lasting protection to your surface. This is where Wax comes into play. Wax seals in your shine and protects it for longer. The shine on the Focus is achieved using a Meguiars NXT Tech Wax, however i have just been treated to a Chemical Guys product called Blitz Spray Sealent which is much easier to apply and highly recommended.

When removing your product, left to right and in straight lines is the key to reducing swirl marks especially in darker cars.

This method acheved the following shine:

DSC03168.jpg

DSC03170.jpg

Engine bays:

The engine bay of this particular Focus was very badly soiled with traffic film, dust and dirt.

Covering the battery and distributor cap are essential aswell as any exposed filter cones.

Spray an engine and machine cleaner liberally (Gunk in this case) onto all soiled surfaces. Start car and allow engine temp to rise just off the lowest point on the gauge, this helps the cleaner break down the dirt quicker.

With the engine still running and using a medium strength spray for the hose, rinse off the engine being careful to avoid directly spraying the battery, dizzy cap and HT Leads.

To make back plastics shine, use a cheap tyre shine and an off cut off sponge for the show car shine effect.

DSC03166-1.jpg

I hope this is of some use to some of you. Feel free to comment or throw your own techniques at me.

Special thanks must go to my good freind Dave H. Owner of the E30 325i BMW posted a few days ago on the forum, for he is my guru and has taught me all i know about detailing techniques. Enjoy.

All products used can be found on www.cleanyourcar.co.uk.

Posted in Members rides as its how i clean my ride, if that make any sense!

lucino vzr 1 said:
Good job,how long does it take you using those steps?

On the Almera the wash and dry procedure is down to 30 mins total including the run round the block. The Focus took me an hour to do including both stages of polish and wax, not including the engine bay. If your paint is sealed and protected you can just wash and dry to achieve a good shine with no need to wax at all on a week to week basis. Then it may only need topping up once a month maybe.

There are a few other techniques is used on mine recently such as taping up mirror bases and door handels etc to avoid getting polish in to the pouros/grained plastcis but this is pretty full on and not a day to day thing.

For drying i've found using a synthethic chamois better than a natural one. My old natural one would leave bits of itself behind and any bits of dirt still on the car would get trapped in the fibres of the cloth whereas the synthetic one, the fibres are porous and can be washed through the fibres easily.

About polish, does this slightly cut the paint?

Natural Cahmiois are shite. Never wiped my car with a bit of dead animal thats for damn sure, synthetics are good but i cant stand the smell! Dont last as long as microfibre though. No polish will 'cut' a paints surface. It leaves a film/glaze over the clean paints surface and gives you the mirror deep shine effect (dependant on product of course)

Polish is non abrasive. Well the ones i use are anyway. T-Cut, Meguars Scratch X and other such products all have cutting compuonds to cut into and blend the paint over imperfections and scratches. A good polish should (must) not.

very useful, is there a way of removing swirls without having to spend fortunes on random orbit buffer thingies? (technical name of course)

:) well helpful thanks!

Are there any tricks to removing or hiding moderate scratches?

Mike

very useful guide except i never use a hose on my car, dont agree with using water to clean a car, dry polish it and dry clean it everytime. (just my opinion though)

syms said:
very useful guide except i never use a hose on my car, dont agree with using water to clean a car, dry polish it and dry clean it everytime. (just my opinion though)

:eek: how does that work then :confused:

syms said:

how do you dry clean the out side of a dirty car? :confused:

i always hose down the car first, doesnt really remove loose dirt but if the dirt is already wet then it wont stick to the paint as bad so itll reduce the risk of scratchs/swirls etc i use a lambs wool wash mit, imo i think theyre better because their softer than sponges, easier to use and any particles can get trapped in the fur where on a sponge they would stick to the outer surface and again increases risk of scratching.

really good guide youve put up and i will try some things youve said myself.

br3n said:
very useful, is there a way of removing swirls without having to spend fortunes on random orbit buffer thingies? (technical name of course)

Yup, Megs Scatch X by hand and about a week :lol:

I've been using the two-bucket method for 6 months now and am always getting "how do you keep your car that clean" comments, so much better than my old, uneducated sponge-and-a-bucket-of-fairy approach. Doing it weekly without fail helps, though.

Some of my own tips..

Sponges trap grit near their surface - microfibre cloths hold the dirt further back and it rinses out easier - reducing scratching.

It's worth mentioning that getting wax or polish on glass, especially windscreens is not a good idea - I take care not to then use a good glass cleaner on all the glass after washing and waxing the rest of the car.

There are products for 're-blackening' tyres but as far as I know none are safe to use on the tread so use on sidewall only and use sparingly so it does not 'spin-out' into the treads.

Every few weeks before I wash the car I'll stop at a forecourt and use the pressure hose under the arches and on the underside of the car to get all the salt and muck off (I live near the sea but winter gritting affects everyone). Every couple of months I'll take the wheels off and give the arches, calipers and hubs a proper clean.

Regular, effective cleaning, polishing and waxing is not just about your car looking clean - it can also prolong the life of the car.

Back
Top Bottom