Cleaning Techniques: A write up.

syms said:
a few ways easiest is to use a product such as this there are many available. Water is bad for cars :P

Interesting! I'll give the trial one a go and see.
I would think you would have to start with a fairly clean car or it would takes ages and very soon fill the polishing mitt?

Thanks, always alternatives out there I guess.

My cars sat outside in the rain/snow for 14 years, 15 mins washing it down with water wont make a difference :cool:

i would never ever use and would never recommend to anyone a waterless wash, any grit is just rubbed into the paint no matter how you look at it, whether the product claims it lifts the dirt from the surface or not its still rubbing a dirty cloth over the paint, not something i would ever do. think about it, the dirt is on the car, if this can get under it then why cant you spray this on and hose the car down removing all the dirt? if its really under the dirt lifting it off the surface and lubricating it surely that should be possible? well i bet it isnt because its marketing rubbish. get your car in direct sunlight if you dont believe me, it will be full of minute swirl marks and no doubt alot of marring aswell

2 bucket method with meguiars mitts for me, got a lambswool for the top half and 2 microfibre ones for the bottom half, one used for the visible areas and one under the sills, lip of the bumper etc, works great for me and its stopped swirls increasing that much, although obviously being 15 and 11 years old neither cars are swirl free as they have never seen a machine polish or a long time hand polishing, im fairly happy with them until the summer though then im going to get some decent polishes and have a proper go at them.

while were on the subject of cleaning has anyone used meguiars APC (all purpose cleaner)? think its £20 for a US gallon of it which has to be diluted to at least 4:1, so will last for years and years with ease. im looking for a solution to cleaning inside the arches, when it was at standard hieght it was easy as i could get in there with an old sponge easily, now i can barely get my hand in so theres no chance of me cleaning inside them at all, need something i can spray on, leave for a while and rinse off, this sounds like it would do the job but i cant find any info about using it on rough surfaces.

Thanks for the comments guys, Not to keen on the waterless car cleaning idea though. Car Plan do a similar product, we have stocked it for a year and not sold a single bottle. Frankly i'd rahter clean my car with a brick wrapped in sandpaper than use it.

Sprint: The APC is a highly rated product and well worth having.

Benskett: Swirls will always occur, fact. However as said scratch x in light amounts and a method like mine will reduce the apperance and prevent further heavy swirling.

Oh Damo, You still have so much to learn young grasshopper!

We need to sort your paint for this summer, It's looking a touch swirly too. ;)

Damo-Sri said:
Benskett: Swirls will always occur, fact. However as said scratch x in light amounts and a method like mine will reduce the apperance and prevent further heavy swirling.

I know, I'm a 'detailingworld jockie' boxes full of cleaning crap :roll:

Using my Porter Cable tomorrow to sort them ;)

Back
Top Bottom