Driving with 2 different tyre sizes at front?!

Hi all,

Got a puncture today and changed it with my spare.

Now my tyres are all 205/55/15's and the spare on the alloy is 195/55/15

I've ordered my tyres and there gonna take a few days coming now i was wondering if its' ok to drive round with the spare im using on the front passenger side as it is?

Will it screw the car up? Thanks.

LOL^

Nah wasn't concerned with legal issues

Just wanted to know if my tracking would go out of line driving or some other weird issue

I don't like the 205 tyres actually, they scrub on the back arches i find with ppl in the car

Would 195/50/15's be ok??

Cool Thanks!

Will be lowering car too so hopefully looks good . I find the tyres i have on at the mo' look too chunky!

Hmmmm thats a realy good price! But Toyo T1s are too soft, they run out fast and i do quite a bit of mileage

If true, that's one hell of a deal Ross ! :cool:

ebay ;) dunno how much it would cost to get them fitted... 10 a corner at most?

thats my next purchase... kinforest = Fail... i find myself coming out of a roundabout, accelerating and going sideways at 2000rpm... its annoying as hell...

you'll fail an MOT with different sizes at the sides so im lead to believe.

edit: obviously your not running around for ages like that, just saying :)

it is legal to drive around with different width tyres just not differnt sizes...

EG: one 15" and one 17" rim on

A size of a tyre is width and profile all together! 15" or 17" is a diameter...

So on wheels at one axle you can have two different MAKE of tyres but the same size, ie. 195/55/15. If you've got 195/55/15 & 205/55/15 that's illegal.

IMO two makes of tyres at one axle is crazy too. But legal.

I'd say there the most popular choice as you can get tyres very cheap for that size.

But you end up with wrong speed showing on the clock - driving 70 when speed on the clock will be about 80 mph.

Other way: doing 70 mph on 195/55/15's and 5th gear you should rev about 3250 rpm. Having 195/50/15's you'll be having the same speed at about 3500 rpm.

But you end up with wrong speed showing on the clock - driving 70 when speed on the clock will be about 80 mph.

Other way: doing 70 mph on 195/55/15's and 5th gear you should rev about 3250 rpm. Having 195/50/15's you'll be having the same speed at about 3500 rpm.

Wrong. When your speedo with a 50 profile shows 70 mph, your actual speed is 67.71 mph. Barely noticeable. You might get a 10mph difference eventually but you shouldn't be doing the speeds that requires on the public roads :rolleyes:

There's also handling qualities included in using a lower profile tyre. Cheaper and better handling = win win.

Hey all again,

Well i did have 205/55/15 and had one 195/55/15...

was loooking to change all 4 and got a good deal on 215/55/15's so got em fitted..

I actually wanted to change them for standard but couldn't pass these by. I know they're wider then then the 205's i had but what difference will it make in handling, performance, mpg, etc.???

thankss..

205's rubbed on the inner plastic guard (arch) of mine when it was lowered so possible MOT fail if yours is the same? What make are they?

Back
Top Bottom