Goodbye N16, Hello Qashqai! 56k warning!

sri_alan said:
probably is a renault engine, the F16 or whatever its called, in the clio williams is the same setup as that, with the exhaust manifold at the rear.

Alot of French cars were like that, like the 205 GTi.

Seems wrong, for some strange reason.

I'm sure my mates old fiesta zetec was too, I'm not comfortable with it either, but that's coz im a Japanese fanboy :cool:

The Qashqai looks very n16 like from the 3rd shot down in the OP. afaik they were aiming for the people who buy 4x4's but never go off road, those that just like the ride height of them etc, and also putting 'smaller' engines in to save the world.

I'm still not sure if i like it, it seems to look like bits of everything else without having it's own identity but that might grow in time!

not sure if i like it or not, this is the first one i have really seen though so it will probably grow on me, sounds like nissan are going in the right direction again though which is good.

will have to mention these to my uncle, he gets his next mobility car in the next few months, wanted another tino but it looks like this will have to do now the tino has finished

oooo im liking them even more now, will deffo be checkin them out when i sell my car

almera guy, do me a favour and dont recommend these to anyone one else, do you know how much overtime Im having to work to build these bastards:lol:, Im fooking sick of it.
I cant see these going to well with the dealers, they like selling them but dont like warranty claims and recalls..............

GTi kurt said:
Alot of French cars were like that, like the 205 GTi.

Seems wrong, for some strange reason.

surely exhaust manifold at the front is wrong, since the exhaust comes out at the rear. Means more exhaust piping in the engine bay = higher engine bay temperatures, and a longer inlet feed through the warmer engine bay.

Maybe there's some reliability/non performance based reason for it.

I don't know any technical reason for it, just seems (different), obvisously it can't be doing any harm going by the Mi-16 engine alone.

But surely if it was better, then Honda or Nissan would of built all there engines like that. lol

It's marketed as being designed for the trials of modern urban driving which is a bit odd because parking in anything that high is harder because of the view problems mentioned.

IMO it looks fine for what I reckon it is - basically an Almera class car redesigned to cope with the terrible state of British roads. Practical, sensible and not a big, dumb Chelsea tractor. Cool but, I'd rather they just fixed the roads.

wraith0x29a said:
basically an Almera class car redesigned to cope with the terrible state of British roads. Practical, sensible and not a big, dumb Chelsea tractor. Cool but, I'd rather they just fixed the roads.

A very good point! soaks up the bumps of our shitty roads. hadnt thought of it like that.

Almera class? I see it as more of an in-between from the family hatchback/estate to the SUVs. Bigger and safer feeling than the smaller cars, but smaller engined and more economical than a full on SUV. Then again isn't that basically what an MPV is?

Maybe the qasqai is like an in-between from an MPV to an SUV? MPV with more SUV like capabilities?

I blame Renault for Nissan's madnes.

well the orders are double what they expected :mad:
guess that means goodbye social life for the rest of the year :(
still hoping they all start falling apart and everyone stops buying them

Test drove the 2.0 petrol in February and it made my 1.5 N16 seem coarse and unrefined in comparison - the engine was barely audible even at motorway speeds. Clearly it's not a "performance" vehicle (I guess you'd want a Murano for that) but it also handled well on back roads, with less body roll than I was expecting given the increased height over the Almera. One thing is the price is considerably more than the Almera for arguably not that different a car, particularly if you go with the FWD variants rather than 4WD. I'd say there are hints of both the Almera and the Murano about it (one of the brochures I picked up had comparison side profile shots of the Qashqai and the Murano and there's definitely a family resemblance there).

By the way, the engine is the HR16DE and was co-developed by Nissan and Renault, however isn't used in any Renaults yet. Interestingly there is one other Nissan car that uses the HR16... the Micra 160/Sport SR! Now i'm starting to understand why 160SR owners love them, if they can pull that huge Qashqai, imagine what they can do to a Micra!

Back
Top Bottom