gutless 1.5i se

ok i know its not a gti etc. but surely should have a bit of poke?
seems like it dies when you try to get it to go and definately don't like hills lol :rolleyes:
when i push the throttle down to overtake or accellerate above normal seems like theres nothin there allmost like its being flooded but lift the pedal a bit and you get a bit of power...
I'm new to nissan and its a proper nice motor is the normal... :roll:

oh and the manual says and also on the filler cap use premium unleaded? could putting normal unleaded in be doing this?

cheers
n00b lol

I'd imagine the 1.5's don't have much go, and the n16 isn't a particularly light car, but you'd have to ask a 1.5 owner. The 1.8 just about does enough.

And I think premium unleaded is the regular unleaded, its just their fancy new name for it

Says 95 ron, which is regular unleaded in the UK.

The 1.5 is gutless low down. It doesn't like hills at all. Zero torque.

Keep the needle above 3,500 RPM and you will see it is quite nippy about town / a roads...

lol your right it dont like hills at all...
came out of the services onto the motorway sliproad yesterday which was on an incline and by the time i got to the end i was just doin like 45 >.<

Mass air flow sensor. Sits between the airbox and the throttle body.

Never going to be as quick as a rhonda. lol.

Get an induction kit for it & it`ll perk up abit.

I had a K&N on mine (can`t remember the model now), but it made a nice growl, & certainly made a difference (even with the 17s fitted)! :)

The 1.5 is pretty heavy and seems to be tuned mainly for economy and tootling around town. Mine really didn't like hills, especially on motorways but when driven in the sweet-spot between 4000 and 6000 revs was nippy enough up to about 70 mph.

It pretty much goes to sleep above 70 though, especially on an uphill slope.

4th gear is pretty rubbish, seems to be almost an low 5th designed for A-road cruising; upshift too early and it feels like the car's drowning until you get the revs back up above 4000 or so and very soon after that it doesn't seem to have anything left.

It's a pity because apart from the lack of power at motorway speeds I really liked it and it was fine for running round town and country roads (especially with decent lowering springs and big, lightweight alloys) and crusing on the motorway was boring but reliable until you hit a long, steep hill or had to overtake with someone coming up fast behind.

There must be a good bit more power available in the 1.5 engine but unlocking it with tuning and mods would likely cost a fair whack.
My K&N sounded good and seemed to improve acceleration response a bit but made next to no difference at motorway speeds (pretty much what you'd expect with no other mods to make use of whatever extra air the engine was getting). You'd need to do a whole lot more to make a big enough difference to get much extra power on the motorway.

Unfortunately I mostly drive on hilly motorways so at the first excuse got a 1.8 sport which is no rocket but a vast improvement on the 1.5 with lots of useful torque at lower revs and enough power to get from 70-100 uphill (I'd guess).

davep90 said:
when i push the throttle down to overtake or accellerate above normal seems like theres nothin there allmost like its being flooded but lift the pedal a bit and you get a bit of power...

Just wondered if you have a cone air filter installed on there at all?

I only ask because it sounds like the 'flatness' short ram free flow intakes can give.

If this is the case, your better off extending the induction pipe right down to near the headlight or fog light area.

Or, reinstall the airbox with a high flow panel filter and cold air feed.

The 1.5i can have more power had from it however the following does need to be done: -

1) Induction Kit/Cold Air Intake System to be fitted
2) 4 branch Manifold and custom exhaust system (with or without cat depending on your budget)
3) Fuel Pressure Regulator or Power Boost Valve as those parts are commonly sold as
4) ECU Re-Map

Granted getting all that done will not be cheap however one of the guys on here by the name of shakey had all the above done to his car and he had a (claimed) 115 to 120-odd hp... I don't know if it's at the wheel or the crank that figure was but regardless that's a near 25-30hp increase now i know that sounds a lot from N/A tuning and to be honest i haven't seen a dyno sheet so can only take his word for it...

A 1.8i with those mods done would probably benefit nicely and, if you can source one from the USA, a Throttle Body Spacer can help improves things as well...

As for the flywheel itself yes i've heard its heavy - i remember Schnakey saying it was about 6.2kg in weight - and can either be machine-lightened (like Schnakey has had done) OR, if i hear back from Tech1_uk son enough, we might be able to have lightened flywheels fitted courtesy of USA but more on that later...

Flywheel does make a massive difference. I lost 1.7 kilos off mine and its perked up a lot. Makes the hills worse though.

I can easily believe shakey was running 115-120hp Mines currently got an exhaust and induction kit and the flywheel done as well as the shorter ratio box out of the p2 and I reckon its a lot faster than standard.

my freind bought a odb gauge and we pluged it in to my car cos it has a bhp reader on it oil temp all that rubbish so we went for a run and i have had a cat back and dia filter system and the odb read 120.1bhp i no this is a far shot but my car is being rolling roaded nxt month so will see how far out it is.
but he has a mitsu colt turbo janspeed full system and they quoted him a figure of 189.9 bhp from the exhaust and filter he plugged his in and it read 1.89.9 so we not sure how accurate it is but i think mine is out.
its definatly alot quicker than standard now thats why i want my flywheel lightened pls keep me informed if they come on the arket unless any one knows where i can get mine lightened and balanced ????

wraith0x29a said:
4th gear is pretty rubbish, seems to be almost an low 5th designed for A-road cruising; upshift too early and it feels like the car's drowning until you get the revs back up above 4000 or so and very soon after that it doesn't seem to have anything left.

The P2 gearbox improves this massively. 4th is a lot shorter.

Schnakey said:
The P2 gearbox improves this massively. 4th is a lot shorter.

Is that the standard n16 phase II gearbox you mean or a seperate gearbox altogether?

Was looking at getting the Fujita CAI but it looks like a pain in the hole to fit...

Back
Top Bottom