headlight keeps blowing out

+rowdy-gti replacing the connector did not fix the issue. I already fitted a new h4 connector loom 2 weeks ago, which i said on this thread..see reply #12

Hally & Tw33k: thanks for the suggestions guys. I already tried a new h4 connector and nothing. I have no idea what else could be the problem. It doesn't seem to be any power going into the bulb. The other headlight still works fine

You'll have to trace the wiring back till you find an issue. Maybe the switch? Try another one?

The multi meter is a good tool but also can be missleading. Go back to your fuse box and check the supply under load eg, make up a test lamp with an old headlamp bulb that will draw a good current, my reason for this is if you have corrosion in the wire, a multimeter will give a good reading on just one strand of wire, but put a load on it and you get no current flow.

If you get a good bright bulb at the fuse box it will be a visual inspection of the wiring to the lamp.

If it diesn't light you will need to fault trace backwards to the fuse supply wiring.

Without a diagram i can really suggest whare to look. Are they relay controled ? Will look at mine in a bit if i get time.

thanks, I really appreciate the extra input.

+rowdy-GTi I dont think it can be the switch because the other headlight is working fine..unless there's two switches for the headlights?

+supraslayer : never thought of doing that but it sounds like a great troubleshooting tip;)...i will try your suggestion tomorrow...if it lights up that means its definitely a wiring issue somewhere from the lamp to the fuse box. Also, I dont know if they are relay controlled but since the other headlight works maybe it isn't..

I'll report back again...

thanks, I really appreciate the extra input.

+rowdy-GTi I dont think it can be the switch because the other headlight is working fine..unless there's two switches for the headlights?

There is two contacts in the switch. If yoi half turn the switch you'll notice thst only one side will light then filly turn it and the other will come on. You can make the car 'wink' doing this lol

....Phone....

Worth a try, takes 5 minutes to swap in another one. Tbh I've looked at the wiring diag today and there really isn't much to go wrong.

15A fuses, onto the switches then onto the lamps. No relays.

Worth a try, takes 5 minutes to swap in another one. Tbh I've looked at the wiring diag today and there really isn't much to go wrong.

15A fuses, onto the switches then onto the lamps. No relays.
+ CoV thanks for that. I will do that too. Also, is it possible for you to share the wiring diagram so I could have it as reference...it'd be much appreciated.

@ CoV No worries, thanks for that I appreciate this!

Im checking Supraslayer's suggestion this weekend so the diagram will come handy. I also bought a light tester to help me out Thanks everyone else too for your input.

I'll report back with my findings

Sorry about the delay

@supraslayer: it looks like the wiring issue is between the fuse and the bulb (thanks for the suggestion again)

1. There's power at the fuse socket of the headlight
2. There's no power coming thru the H4 bulb two hot wires (Red/Black and Red/Yellow wires), but the ground one (black) is fine (I checked this with a test light)

Looking at the wiring diagram (thanks for uploading CoV), the bulb two hot wires are Red/Black and Red/Yellow.

I split the cable wrapping tape to trace back the Red/Black and Red/Yellow wires but can't seem to be able to trace them back to the fuse.

If I'm reading the wiring diagram well, it looks like both the Red/Black and Red/Yellow wires join into a bigger one (Red/white) between the lighting switch and the fuse.

@CoV: would you mind uploading more wiring pages of the diagram for the headlight? I can't seem to see how and where the Red/Black and Red/Yellow wires join together. Thanks

If anyone else has more ideas, please share them. I'd appreciate your input.

Back
Top Bottom