Hi, noob with juddery almera!

Hi, my name is Emma and I own a W reg almera 1.5se. Nothing special but it does the job for me and the kids and is boringly reliable!

I stumbled across you guys when looking for some help on the internet so hope you can assist me. The car has developed of late what I can only describe as a judder when pulling away. It started as a clunk, but now has got that bad that the whole dash shudders!!!!! It seems worse when on an incline even if just a slight one, and if hill starting is ridiculous. What could it be? The engine makes no noise when running and is still smooth and quiet and it doesn't do it other than when pulling away from a standing position. My dad seems to think engine or gearbox mount but admits he is no expert, can anyone help to confirm that it is probably one of these as I don't want to go to a garage and get ripped off.

Sorry to be yet another noob with a problem, but I hope somebody can help me. :)

Emma x

Welcome. Does it happen when you're using the clutch? Or does it disappear when you're not using the clutch at all?

I can confirm that i have the same problem with my w reg 1.5e almera, no idea what causes it but not too much bother, will be interesting to see what the more knowledgeable people on here think it could be

on mine its usually just when on clutch, mechanic suggested it may just be engine mountings.

THe only reason I ask about the clutch, is that I have been in another car with this problem, and it was definitely the clutch. Once replaced, it was fine.

when it goes clunk is that when you let go off the throttle? if so its your rear engine mount. I had that problem when it went clunk/bang my gearbox ran out of oil and then the rear gearbox mount went. I would check your gearbox oil and check the rear gearbox mount

Darren

A clunk and judder when moving away does sound like engine / gearbox mounts to me.

How long does it judder for when you move away? I.e. until you stick it in second / just until past 2,000 revs?

I wouldnt know but I also had a judder in my SRi way back when, had new clutch fitted, turned out flywheel was knacked and causing it, however it was worse when reversing rather than forward. Just to throw another one in fire....although Id go with mountings as above firstly!

I wouldnt know but I also had a judder in my SRi way back when, had new clutch fitted, turned out flywheel was knacked and causing it, however it was worse when reversing rather than forward. Just to throw another one in fire....although Id go with mountings as above firstly!

hmm... that might explain my creaking when i lift the clutch...

better get in on the fidanza GB :rolleyes:

A clunk and judder when moving away does sound like engine / gearbox mounts to me.

How long does it judder for when you move away? I.e. until you stick it in second / just until past 2,000 revs?

Hi

thanks for the help.

It does go when you put it into 2nd yes. I will get the rear engine mount checked and the gearbox oil changed I think.

Thanks again.

Emma

Could also be worn springs in the clutch plate.. This caused vibration for me a while back.
Hope its not the dreaded 1.5 timing chain problem!!
Joe

Back
Top Bottom