high mileage gtis

• Thread starter Thread starter orange_andy
  • Start date Start date
O

orange_andy

now i now the engines are "bullet proof" but what about high miles, im looking for a gti and seem to be alot on high miles and by high im talking 98/99 reg both on about 100/000 - 120 000 the higher of the 2 says its got full nissan service until 90. just wondering is this high mileage about where problems are gonna start ie clutch/ gearbox or is it just a case of as long as its looked after both clutch and engine can easily handle another 30k?

should i be more worried than an 85k engine or just make sure its been looked after and its fine. both aint to expensive to be honest but just dont wanan throw money away

how much do u rekon u could do an engine swap for if worst come to worst just daft rough ideas thanks

always read that as long as they are serviced and looked after then they should be fine. think ive seen a gti coming upto 200k miles.

worst case scenario
basic engine swap for me cost:

engine 65k full service history £160 (bargain)
mate to help £100
also put the fidanza flywheel in and new clutch £250
fluids, powersteering, engine oil, gearbox oil, coolant £70

clutch/gearbox really isnt that expensive to do in the long run, Wouldnt worry about it - just treat it nice :)

orange_andy said:
now i now the engines are "bullet proof" but what about high miles, im looking for a gti and seem to be alot on high miles and by high im talking 98/99 reg both on about 100/000 - 120 000 the higher of the 2 says its got full nissan service until 90. just wondering is this high mileage about where problems are gonna start ie clutch/ gearbox or is it just a case of as long as its looked after both clutch and engine can easily handle another 30k?

should i be more worried than an 85k engine or just make sure its been looked after and its fine. both aint to expensive to be honest but just dont wanan throw money away

how much do u rekon u could do an engine swap for if worst come to worst just daft rough ideas thanks

Mine is a P1 with 155.000 on the clock with full service history and it still runs mint and still embarasses a lot of cars on the road. I've had cars with half that mileage running much worse and costing me far most money. You've got nothing to worry about even with 120K on the clock as long as it's been looked after.

People don't realise how good they run until they have one mate honestly it is an amazing car really and so reliable.

Clutches aren't really that expensive, and to be honest after changing my clutch with a mate twice, took us about 3 and half hours to do in total (that's worktime not including breaks hahaha) it is actually quite easy on Almera's.

My own fault for fitting a cheapo clutch first time - trust me buy a performance clutch or OE one.

Gearboxes are just as bulletproof as the engines mate aswell.

Hope that clears that up for ya pal.

Mines coming upto the big 100k in the next few weeks :roll: Dawned on me the other day what a bunch of numptys the general buying public are. 100k on a car still spells disaster and high mileage in their minds! Modern engines if looked after will last far ahead of the shells. People say to me "Your cars ten years old now, maybe you should get AA cover!" to which i reply "Get a grip! Its a Nissan". When you go Jap you never go back :lol:

So true, I bought my 1.4 on 93k in October, it's now on 114k and hasn't missed a beat! Bulletproof, certainly!

Slick Rick said:
I read this thread title as 'high mileage gits'
no i think you will find this is him :P

Old-WorldsOldestMan.jpg

coming upto 98K on mine done 76K since ive had it still on oringinal clutch aswell

only things ive replaced are

air flow meter
battery
central door locking mechanism

and the usale wear and tear items

i got my gti at 92k with no service history needing a frount pipe and a clutch for 900 quids with them sorted and 2 yrs later the car is perfect only isues ive had have been electrical ie the ecu and key losing code and my remote locking giving up but thats due to th button giving up and me not having a master

as long as you do the oil and filter regularly they really do take some abuse

oh and im still getting almost 400 mile to a tank on a long run and round town im gettting about 80 to a 10s optimax so they arnt bad on running costs daily ether

buy a high milage one just do the usual checks you would for buying any car and it should be all good

Not a gti but a 2.0d, bought with 75k on it, now has 132k and hasnt missed a beat. Without jinxing myself, I can safely say the n15 engine is the best ive ever seen. Just a pity they dont still make them. You cant get pre 2000 (i.e renault effect) reliability anymore. Will be interesting to see what model ends up with the most miles.

We had a 1.4 action almera, bought it with 11k ;) , sold it with 114k, only thing we had to do apart from the usual servicing :rolleyes: .........................change 1 clutch :eek:

Back
Top Bottom