JDM Pulsar Serie GTi Track Shed/Weapon Build

Had the car out on the track today and it lasted 20 mins before no.2 con rod decided to make a break for freedom through the front of the block. I'll try and get some picsof the damage for the craic :)

So, this most likely marks the end of our Almera/Pulsar ownership, thanks to those who have offered help and advice.

No mate we're breaking a few bits off it and scrapping it. Have our eye on an RS2000 thats already prepped for the track :)

Me and a mate bought this a few weeks back to work at and bring to Kirkistown (local race track) for a few trackdays. Something cheap and easy to work at so we can build up some mechanical knowledge and also not worry about writing it off!

These cars are pretty rare being a JDM model only but they are based on the Nissan Almera that was sold in Europe. They come with a viscous LSD and the SR18DE engine, as well as electric folding mirrors, A/C and a few other things that'll be getting ripped out.

Last weekend we decided to make a start on the car. When it was being driven back home after purchase the gear stick flung back and is now stuck in 4th. We figured (hoped) it was the selector linkage and got underneath the car to investigate. Unfortunately it turned out to be something much more serious.

We disconnected the front engine mount and removed the support and gearbox mount (which was basically hanging off) to discover a sheared bolt left in the gearbox. Joy.

The RHS drive shaft is also sloppy and makes a knocking noise when its pushed back and forth. Also the PSF hub is wobbling about like Rik Waller with 10 pints in him.

Upon inspection of the engine we noticed an SR20 stamp so it appears the car has had a different engine fitted. This is probably a good thing as its much easier to get SR20 specific bits that we know will fit, rather than skety opinions about what fits both the SR18 and 20.

The gearbox appears to have the ribbing only found on the VLSD SR18 box, so hopefully that hasnt been swapped out for an SR20 one. However there seems to be a few bolts missing where it bolts on to the engine at the bottom. Perhaps the SR20 doesnt mate up properly to the SR18 box, we'll find out soon enough.

The next step then is going to be taking the gearbox out, assessing its condition and then removing the sheared bolt and retapping the hole. That should happen in the next few days.

Thats about as far on as we are at the moment. When we get the gearbox situation sorted then we'll have a good look over the car and make a list of things that need addressed/thrown in the bin. I'm very much looking forward to ripping the guts out of it! If anyone needs any interior bits and bobs feel free to ask.

In the mean time heres a few pics:

Firstly, the car; in all her scruffy glory.

Picture084Medium.jpg

Picture080Medium.jpg

Engine:

Picture079Medium.jpg

SR20 stamp:

Picture081Medium.jpg

Two "missing" bolts from underside of gearbox:

Picture090Medium.jpg

The offending sheared bolt stuck in the gearbox:

Picture086Medium.jpg

Shall update this as we go along, its a long term project but we have some fairly major plans for it.

Thanks for looking and feel free to poke fun at our shed!

i have N4 NME which is an ex Mcrae sunny gti genunie nissan motorsports build , i have just bolted the autech lsd box straight on to the sr20 , it does have one odd shaft its bigger on the gearbox than the normal sunny

Back
Top Bottom