Lowered harsh ride - advice

Hey all!

My GTi is lowered 35mm all round, on 17's - the harsh ride is really getting on my tatty boobs!!!

Is it worth me going back to standard springs or will going back to a nice thick 15" tyre make things a lot better?

Has anyone experience of this?

Thanks

imo the tyres would make a difference. you can actually wreck the alloys with too low pros, and im sure lowering it wont help.

in my eyes greater than 16's on a hatch are ridiculous

Go back to 15s, that'll sort the ride quality out a fair bit. You can go over bumps without thinking you've just broken something

I've said it before and I'll say it again, you guys must have some of the shittiest roads ever!! I'm on 17" OZ's with 30mm lowering and no problems what so ever.

Well I'm running PI Springs and KYB Super Gas Shocks, lowered 40mm and running on 18" rims with a 45 profile. I decided to go for 45's to save the rims as I bent 2 of my old 17"s on 40's. It is so damn hard I can jump up and down on the sills, and the car does not move.

It is annoying at times, but the car sticks like shit to a blanket. I have had to learn to dodge pot holes, and just go over speed humps really slowly, so my advise would be, don't be too hasty, change your driving style a bit, watch out for holes, and don't go over any humps too fast, but it could be an idea to go to 45s on your 17"s. (helps fill the arches too!!!) :O)

And not to mention these holes they put in the road just to check i'm paying attention!

but you should be paying attention, ;)

as said just pay attention to the things that cause the issues, bumps, holes, drains etc go round them, or over them slowly.

Rim/tyre package

Thanks for those comments there - I'm looking at going up to 17"s with a 45 profile for my SXE. The ride is fine on 16's at the mo, but I really like a pair of gunmetal Rotas I've just found online. I wouldn't drop the ride height lower than 30mm anyway - past experience has resulted in the back end 'bottoming out' and the ride quality destroyed. But each to their own as they say . . . .

From the other thread.

Is it that your car is hitting the ground or the ride is just too harsh? Because if it's the latter (looking at your avatar) I'd say that smaller alloys and higher profile tyres would help ease the bumps!

if I was you I would change your alloys first from what looks like 18"'s or 17"'s to stock GTi alloys.

Deffo get some smaller alloys with higher profile tyres. This is the problem with mine.

Ivan

Lowering springs dont make that much difference on almeras, it'll be your wheels mate.

I've just put my standard wheels back on after having my 17s on for a while. My car's lowered on springs too- it handles so much better with the standard wheels.

Back
Top Bottom