My day at Powerspeed

Looks good. The first bend from the turbo looks a bit 'smaller' in diamater to the downpipe though. Good that's it's shown you some gains :)

p.s. your exhaust looks the same as mine in that you only have 1 cat in the downpipe and not a precat in the downpipe and cat after the 'hockey stick' like some almeras i've seen. Much easyer for de-catting ;)

Yeah we figured that Nissan have been cheap and developed one exhuast for all the N16s, and they seem to have been made for the 1.5, which is why it was just way too small and restrictive for my 2.2 turbo. All is good now :)

It starts small because the turbo's output diameter is actually even smaller than that, and so it gets bigger after a few inches.

looks nice matey, did you get it dyno'd as stock, would be interesting to see the dyno after :) nice job, good price too

Yeah we figured that Nissan have been cheap and developed one exhuast for all the N16s, and they seem to have been made for the 1.5, which is why it was just way too small and restrictive for my 2.2 turbo. All is good now :)

It starts small because the turbo's output diameter is actually even smaller than that, and so it gets bigger after a few inches.

Actually when I was ordering a new mid-section a couple of months ago, I was surprised to find that there are 3 different exhuast types for the N16 :eek: One for the 1.8, another for the diesel and a third for the 1.5. The back boxes are all different too !

It could just be really small differences between them. E.g. the tail curls down on the dCi and the cat inlet would be different because of the turbo. Maybe the 1.5 is even smaller perhaps then!

Didnt get a chance to dyno it before unfortunately but it feels good and thats the main thing! The big tuning going to be happening next year which is when I'd like to know numbers. I'm going to the AOC/NPOC Surrey RR meet on the 2nd Nov so will have a nice graph then :)

The place i work has recenty bought a pipe bender/flange maker machine. We use it mainly for exhaust repairs, as we haven't got the knowledge yet for performance exhausts.

Is there any general rules for exhaust diamerter/ back pressure/ how many silencers etc?

Thanks

Matt.

PS, the exhaust looks like a proper job

hrm Matt I guess that's on topic... but I don't like taking attention away from my lovely piping lol :D

I think you'll find a lot of advice on exhausts on this forum, all I know is that with a turbo a larger bore is better to expel the gasses asap to allow the turbo to keep spooled up for longer and spool up quicker... that certainly seems to be the case with mine :) WithNA engines you need a bit of back pressure so if you go too big you'll actually loose power.

But I don't understand the physics of all that :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom