MY N16 in iceland

it makes me laugh when people go on about hondas vtec engine or alike having no torque, at the end of the day its still a naturally aspirated motor. on the other hand i do love torque :lol:

:off: :D ^Is it because in comparison to other NA engines it's got low torque? I mean a lot is said for Nissan engines because of their relativly high torque, in even the QG15, and SR20 and QR25 etc. All good torque?

Sorry to continue off topic, but Sunny's comment deserves a reply ;

What I mean is very simple - Alfa n/a engines for example, tend to have 'square' outputs (similar power & torque figures). You get maybe 240 bhp & 220 lb/ft torque, not 200 bhp & 145 lb/ft. Or a 2 litre Ford - 143 bhp & 136 lb/ft. All the Vtech system does is leave you with an engine that feels asthmatic at low revs and then 'bang!' way up the range. So you get an engine that you have to rev the t**s off all the time, rather than something you can short shift and chill when you want to. Let's see - up & down the box all day or pull away in any gear ? I know what I'd rather have . . . . . . Horses for courses really.

Welcome, must be some great roads in Iceland...couldn't deal with your winters though.

Oh and Torque means fuck all at 8krpm.

around town i would rather have torque, but my car is very responsive low down and as kurt said above...

That's good mate, sounds like a good state of tune. But Kurt is missing the point really - none of us drive our road cars around at a constant 8k rpm . . . . . All I'm saying is that easy access torque is much more useable on an everyday basis. If Kurt spends most of his time on a track pinging the rev limiter, then obviously torque wouldn't be important to him. It all depends on what you want or need from your car. :)

yeh thats what i meant dude, kurts car is more race than road just like mine, as i said above, i would rather have a turbo diesel car for daily :)

Nice N16 man.

I know of an EK9 running standard BHP and only 114lb/ft (rolling roaded twice) that still does a standing 1/4 in 15.2. IMO, that's nae bad. Sounds frikkin -awsome- too.

edk's car is actually rarer than a frikkin GTR! 3 Door 2.2 P2's are just gold dust.

jee we have some very nice road´s in iceland and in the winter they are even more fun and it is so beautiful do drive them at night ........ last night it snowed 35cm...... and yeeh lined up with a lexsus is200 last night when there where no snow and won
very happy whit that

mart looking car, quite like that colour too

Nice N16 man.

I know of an EK9 running standard BHP and only 114lb/ft (rolling roaded twice) that still does a standing 1/4 in 15.2. IMO, that's nae bad. Sounds frikkin -awsome- too.

edk's car is actually rarer than a frikkin GTR! 3 Door 2.2 P2's are just gold dust.

That torque figure is funny for the bhp output, ive raced my sisters boyfriends Type R and i actually have the edge until he hits the vtec, to make you laugh my little 1.6 puts out 117lb/ft!!! Just shows how rubbish the torque is of the vtec for the power they produce.

Ive never driven one, granted theyre not majorly torquey but doesnt it depend where the torque is made? mine peaks at 2800, maybe a type r creates peak torque low down so town driving isnt a problem therefore it doesnt matter they dont create loads if theyre good round town because when racing the high revs make lot of power.

If I recall correctly old VTECs have a torque curve with two humps but newer ones have been smoothed out to have just one hump.

In an old 2.0L i-VTEC you would hit the first peak of about 178Nm at about 3000 rpm then it would fall away to 170Nm and not peak at 178Nm again until about 5000 rpm after VTEC kicks in at about 4000 rpm. It would feel that the engine was losing power (actually torque) for a bit before the VTEC kicked in.

In the newer 2.0 the curve peaks once at about 190Nm at 4000rpm, just as the VTEC kicks in which makes things much smoother and improves things for everyday (below VTEC point) driving as the torque curve moves smoothly up to 4000rpm.

Back
Top Bottom