N15 GTI Starter Motor Help

Hi all

My starter motor have given up, I have searched these forums ans found some very good advice and have bought 1 from e-bay for 53 quid.

I am going to atempt to fit it myself, I did see in 1 thread a breif description on how to do this, has anyone else got any advice or diagrams?

Going to halfords now to buy myself my 1st decent socket set :D

Thanks in advance

antg1985

Its a tough one to do! I recommend taking the rubber intake pipe off and that for easy access you have to undo one bolt from the top and one from underneath!

Thanks for the reply, when you say intake pipe do you mean the plastic one coming from the air box or the metal pipe/s on top of the engine where the throtle cable is?

I have just started it and can't find it fo the life of me, I am doing it from the top as I can't get underneath.

Has anyone got a pic or diagram of where it is? just don't want to start undoing the wrong bolts.

Cheers

Ant

I mean the big intake pipe that goes from air box all way to throttle body! You have to get one from underneath you just cant reach from the top! Id get a pic but theres no room for any decent shots!

yeah he means take the plastic piping off :D

seriously tho fella, get the front up on axle stands and get underneath :D
it will take you about 30 mins tops from underneath,

from what can recall,

there is a black metal bar bolted to the back of the block to the bottom of the inlet manifold, this goes over the top, so it will need to be removed, although can be removed with some wiggling :D

i did a quick search and found this :D
quote from corbs

''Unplug battery
Jack car up
Unplug starter
Undo nut on back of starter to release earth wire (One wire is plugged in, one is bolted to it)
Remove intake pipe (Not necessary but gives you lots of room.)
2 long bolts, on the top of the gearbox facing towards passenger side

Thats it!''

Back
Top Bottom