Rear Wheel Bearings.......

Folks, Think my rear wheel bearings on one side might be on the way out as a noise/resonance has developed. Can anyone give me advice about replacement i.e. how difficult it is, where to get the parts, approximate costs etc.
Many Thanks

An Almera Nightmare ive heard that youy need a whole new hub and all that id say the wrong side of £100

Sit down...and click the link...

eek!

just rang my local garage...

£160 + VAT for the parts (Garnz is right - it is the whole hub) and about £25 labour. They reckon just under £220 fully fitted!

Rach where on that page did you £160? The kit price per side is like £270 and fitting looking maybe £50-60 depending on how long it takes!

It a fooking joke my corsa ones on front were £11 each lol

Garnz said:
Rach where on that page did you £160? The kit price per side is like £270 and fitting looking maybe £50-60 depending on how long it takes!

It a fooking joke my corsa ones on front were £11 each lol

nah the £160 was what the garage quoted for parts...i presume that's trade or something...dunno...that jap-parts seems really expensive.

Would probably take an afternoon** to DIY it, if you know what you`re doing.

The part costs enough as it is, :eek: why would you want to fork out more? :confused:

**Going from memory, I had a look how it was attatched when I changed my rear disks last year, & haven`t had the rear wheels off since, so could be wrong. :O

to change bearing/stub axle

remove wheel
remove brake calliper and holder
remove disc
undo 4 bolts holding the stub axle to the axle

think the ABS sensor doesnt need to be touched

on the rear i don't have 4 bolts holding the stub axle in,(looked welded on) I managed to get another rear beam and take the complete hub and swap it across... £40 for both sides :)

hmm thats all well and good but ya dont know how many miles them bearings have done or wether they have been used and abused in handbrake turns ect. i prefer new. got less chance of goin bang or rumble. must admit though if ya can get the numbers from the bearing casings surely the bearings are cheaper than the full hub?

well i know roughly how far they have done as they came off a fairly low mileage car with front end damage, and for £40 if they last 2 years i'll be happy

I can believe how expensive Nissan parts are :eek: !! I got the wheel bearing done on my last car (ford focus) for £90 and that was at a garage!!,
Nissan were wanting £374 + VAT for a drive shaft before fitting (thank god it was the wheel bearing!!), I got both driveshafts done on a Saxo VTR at a Citreon dealer (fair enough they were probably plastic ;) )for £140!!

Thats one thing I won't miss when the GTi goes! I'll just miss the speed and the fun factor :(

WOW! Cant believe what im reading here... I though my Xsi 306 i had before was expensive: £120 fitted

Thinking about it though, isnt it just a case of removing the hub, pressing the bearing out and pressing a new one in. Obviously you would need a proper hydraulic press.
They cant be made as a complete item only from manufacture!
You would have to press the bearing into the CAST hub assembly originally...? As most are held in with a cur-clip on the back where the drive shaft enters.

Back
Top Bottom