Sill construction and repair

hey mans weet skills i live sloce to you dronfield.. i need my sills doing i might have to pop round and ask for some advice and dribble over your V8 some time :D

Hi raceworx.
I think i understood some of that;)
I will certainly have a look at your car for you!! Pretty nearby in Dronfield. I live in New Whittington.
I'll PM you my phone number if you want to have a chat.

Andy.

Bit more progress on the car. The outer sill section that will get the sexy shape back has taken a little bit longer to fabricate. The sill is actually flared slightly at the back, so needed a careful bit of panel beating to stretch it in the centre to get a good match to the quarter panel bit of the sill remnants that are left. I then joddled the top so it sits nice and flush. Holes punched in the bottom for plug welding through and extra stuck out at the rear to persuade it round the wheel arch.

You can just about see the joddled section in the photos.

DSCF0030.jpg

DSCF0031.jpg

Here the rear of it has been sprayed with etch primer and a silver found on my bench in the corner. I havent painted it right to the edge because I dont want the paint to burn and flake off and prevent any rustproofing fluid getting to any surface.

DSCF0032.jpg

Hopefully welded up thursday or friday night and it then gets painted.

Then its the rear seat belt reel mounts on both sides of the car - these are BAAAAD I can tell ya:eek: Photos to come. Can't wait to get the air saw out for these. May be able to use the rear seats again!

Andy.

Why dont you live nearer to me :(

the last guy i knew that does full restoration died a few years back :'(

he was such an inspiration, he the guy that learnt me to be patiant.
as i literalyl had NONE, i still want things done now rather than spending time. lol

christ! some skills going on here! underneath of the camaro is gleaming!! well done.

got me worried now, your almera looked in pretty good condition in comparison to mine, major bublling thats shoots water out when you squash the bubbles (like a spot) LOL

Hi CoV.
Major bubbling? No problems.

The good thing about rust is that it takes 10 years to take a hold and only a few days to sort it out;) Thats a pretty good ratio in my eyes. Thank god it's not the other way round:D

Andy.

PS can you post some photos of your bubbly rust?

Finally got it welded in!

DSCF0036.jpg

DSCF0037.jpg

This is the reason why professional rustproofer applications dont work with the Almera and they turn into rust buckets!

DSCF0040.jpg

Notice the 2 sill sections separated by a thin metal thickness. Rusproofing liquid will go down one but not the other. Result? Rust carnage no matter what.

Media blast the wheel arch lip tomorrow and paint it blue! Then its the seat belt mounts and then the front pads and discs and MOT time.

Andy.

do you mean the vertical piece to the right side of the sill as the seperator which stops rust proffing working?

awesome work there, you could make some money here... alot lol

missed the request for bubble pics (cheers phil)

bubble1.jpg

bubble2.jpg

pretty sure he means the vertical bit stops the rust proofing from getting everywhere in the sill

awesome work

honestly, i appreciate you probably don't have the time or inclination to do loads of this work, but you could make a pretty penny i'm sure! :lol:

I'd put my name down provisionally for some work, 3rd after phil and paul by the look of it! :lol:

Great stuff mate

awesome work

honestly, i appreciate you probably don't have the time or inclination to do loads of this work, but you could make a pretty penny i'm sure! :lol:

I'd put my name down provisionally for some work, 3rd after phil and paul by the look of it! :lol:

Great stuff mate

Thanks! Give me a shout when you need some help.

Andy.

do you mean the vertical piece to the right side of the sill as the seperator which stops rust proffing working?

awesome work there, you could make some money here... alot lol

missed the request for bubble pics (cheers phil)

bubble1.jpg

bubble2.jpg

Hi CoV.
Nice bit of bubbling there! That double/triple thickness sill strikes again. Doors are easy. If they are rusted through it is usually easier and cheaper to grab some good secondhand ones.

Would probably take a few days to fix that working on and off. Needs the same treatment as mine. Shouldn't cause much of a problem though.

Hypothetically speaking, if you wanted this fixing, do you have the use of another vehicle while yours was being reborn?

Andy.

That's good work man! I have a project car. Nissan 300zx. That needs some rust repair on the rear arches, door bottoms and sills. Would you be up for the challenge? Also I'm only 4 junctions down the M1 from you.

Ivan

Back
Top Bottom