So, SS back boxes.. good, bad or burnt valves?

My only experience of exhaust and the pors and cons are from motorbikes.. I know when I put a race can on my fireblade it was advised that I get the ecu remapped and dyno the bike to avoid damage to the motor due to it running leaner than with the standard can on.. Is this the same for cars? Also any suggestions on a good back box that will not drive me up the wall on my 15 mile round trip to work on the motorway..

Wouldn`t worry about the motor running leaner, the ecu will compensate.

You`ll only see real gains in BHP from a sports manifold and a full cat-back system......but this`ll be louder ( as i`m sure you found out with the fireblade! )

As for just a back box, janspeed will do a direct fit one or you could get a custom one built up at a `longlife` centre nr you....

Cheers rowdy.. Not actually too worried about any gains in BHP, just would like to have something else to listen to when there is naff all on the radio!! joking of course.. but the standard exhaust is too muted, and now i have no bikes to get my kicks on I have turned my attention to the Alm.. Plus the neighbours have had to start using alarm clocks rather than relying on a wake up call from loud exhausts at 7am. Will have a search for the Janspeed back box.. especially if it fits on with no messing about.

Alm Gti said:
Cheers rowdy.. Not actually too worried about any gains in BHP, just would like to have something else to listen to when there is naff all on the radio!! joking of course.. but the standard exhaust is too muted, and now i have no bikes to get my kicks on I have turned my attention to the Alm.. Plus the neighbours have had to start using alarm clocks rather than relying on a wake up call from loud exhausts at 7am. Will have a search for the Janspeed back box.. especially if it fits on with no messing about.

well mate if you wana be the alarm clock for your neighbours, the Janspeed aint the right choice lol..

go for a powerflow or something... I had the janspeed, its subtle, little raspy but quiet, its dead good though and Id highly reccomend them, but the powerflow ive got on now, is basically.. well its hellish lol ive got the straight through system, including Decat, and when I fly past parked cars in a narrow road, I set their alarms off never mind wake them up haha!!

And now its straight through (cat-back) I have realised more power, the car is way more responsive and once it hits about 4k revs, it starts screaming and rassssping, very nice to listen to in my opinion, but each to their own..

The straight through sounds like quite a laugh.. and thanks for the mini review of the Janspeed.. sounds more like what I am looking for.. just a bit of a rasp to make climbing the revs worth while. Have a 2 month old son and not sure he is quite ready to endure that much noise from a system...

haha!! Well the Janspeed is for you then my friend!! Its not so deafening that your dad makes you roll down the street in neutral hahaha :rolleyes:

If you like the rasp, id say get a decat, a resonated 1... ebay lol

also.. does anyone know if the Janspeed would get though an MOT? again form my bike days unless the can has a BS stamp on it the mot centre woudl fail it.. same with cars I would guess?? Just mot is due in MArch so don't want to get it on the car only to take it of for half an hour and then put it back on.. 2 min job on a motorbike.. guessing not so quick on a car!

If you want some fun with the Janspeed box, cruise along @ 30mph in 5th (about 1000rpm), then floor it, you get a nice rumble up to 40mph (1000-1500rpm). :cool:

Also a few nice, subtle pops when you blip it @ the traffic lights. :D

Mine is a standards system, with the Janspeed on the end though.

I have a Laser 4" backbox coupled with a K&N induction kit and I must admit, at 4krpm with the foot down it's loud enough to drown out my CD player at anything but the last third of the volume!!

yeah same here, mines so friggin loud now Im thinking about taking the backbox off and maybe putting a more subtle 1 on, i.e my janspeed 1 I sold!! grrr this powerflow is just too much for daily use now!!

Out of curiosity does the powerflow cat back have a silencer before the backbox? Or is the only silencer the backbox itself?

The folk that do exhaust up here told me the catback would be really loud unless i put a silencer on the centre section.

I think its loud just now with both cats out on a standard system and the cat resonator in. Don't really want it much louder than it is now tbh.

as far as i know all the cats are out and only silencer is backbox. Is soooo friggin loud, it sounds nice and deep, but im kinda regretting it now as I use the mera quite daily, im gona have to stop though as I dont wana put miles on it and I dont wana step outa the car with a headache everytime I drive it!!

Still love it though, but its soooo embarrassing when I dropped my dad off in it, he couldnt hear himself talk or anything lol he stepped outa the car at the social club and every1 was turning their heads haha yee haaaa

Mine isn't quite THAT loud, but it's not bad for a 1.4 :O

342654310_9321a8308a.jpg

PLUS

342653754_f07f383141.jpg

EQUALS

Noise!! haha

I think i'll meed to take a wee trip over and see what size the silencer is. I definately don't want it much louder than it already is, I don't want to strangle the manifold if I ever get one tho.......decisions decisions.

PS i did notice when the car was on the ramps last week there is a wee swell on the centre section that looks very similar to the resonated decat idea.

Kow GTI - if you haven't got one already might be worth going for a resonated Decat - took most of the resonation noise away for me on my standard system

Back
Top Bottom