Sorry, not an Almera... Something much more economical

• Thread starter Thread starter Veero
  • Start date Start date
V

Veero

Right on Saturday I finally picked up my shiney (new to me) 306 HDI. It's on a V plate and absolutely pristine. So far very pleased with it, still pulls even for a diesel but obviously it's no 205 (my other set of wheels is a 205 Mi16 which is a pocket missile). Just comfier and supposedly gets about 700 miles to a tank on a full motorway run at 70 so can't complain really.

Dead chuffed :D It's fully standard apart from GTI-6 half leathers/alcantara interior which is also mint and the previous owner replaced the Cyclones with a set which had done less than 20k miles and have 1 scuff on 1 of the wheels.

I'd say it's not all that much slower than my Almera was to be honest.It hasn't obviously got the roaring rev range the Mera did but in terms of torque and accelerating at any speed while moving it's great.

DSC00451.jpg

DSC00452.jpg

DSC00453.jpg

DSC00454.jpg

Love it already only driven 260 miles.

Next year when finances are more stable Ill be looking at something lairy, maybe a 200sx S14a or even an Almera GTiR if there's one about at the time perhaps.

Veero

Clean motor mate, they handle nice and obviously the fuel consumption is a bonus.

Beat one of them up the local 1/4 mile in my old micra though, lol

I want a turbodiesel as a runaround one day, I've done 24,000 miles on this Almera in the past year, I could have probably saved half my petrol costs if i'd done that in a diesel!

shaggy_master said:
Beat one of them up the local 1/4 mile in my old micra though, lol

I am actually quite keen to see the difference of this one side by side to an Almera GTi at some point. I remember when I still had my Mera and was going along the A38. A 307 HDi obviously booted it and I had to shift down to 3rd to even keep up, highly embarassing.

What was the Micra? And are you sure it was an HDi? They're surprisingly nippy.

I'm keen to get a remap and fit an FMIC, that should shift the 50-55mpg up to 55-60mpg easily.

Yeah tuning diesels rocks! Have you heard of a company called Allard motors? They used to race golf TDis against petrol equivalents, do loadsa diesel tuning as well - might be worth looking them up?

Just out of interest how much did you pay for this one?

Get an LPG injection kit ;)

Veero said:
I am actually quite keen to see the difference of this one side by side to an Almera GTi at some point.

My friend has EXACTLY the same car- same colour and wheels! :eek:

To be honest, it's not really fair racing it with an almera GTi... ;)

Errr a French car! Wouldnt touch a Peugeot again or any other French car for that matter- sorry!

Very tiday example you got there tho

Veero said:
What was the Micra? And are you sure it was an HDi? They're surprisingly nippy.

It was a 1.0l micra , hahah.. only minor mods done to it as well!
Little flying machine for a 1L!! 115mph that thing pulled!!

and it was a HDi yeah, a mate from work's car.
He's not much of a driver obviously. :)

It was only faster through 1st & 2nd than the 306, after that he killed me obviously, on dual carrigeways I had no chance haha.

They are nice motors though :)

You got 115 out of a 1.0? Was it a K11? If so i'm amazed, I could barely get mine off the 110mph clock!!

Mine flew off the clock haha, to be fair though I was on an empty motorway with 5 people and luggage in the car going down a huge hill, so maybe that helped.

The wind must have been behind me ahaha, cos It wouldn't go past 105 next time I tried.

Legend that car was.
I miss it haha.

After all the almera's just a bigger version ;)

i used to get 115 out of mine and down a big hill got 120 tried it again the nxt day with my gps and speedo was only 2mph out so was good i miss mine now :(

They are much better than the standard first car, i.e Punto, Fiesta etc.
I smoked ALL my mates first cars like puntos, corsas ets, apart from one, a civic LSI.
To be fair I couldn't have asked for a better first car..

shaggy_master said:
Mine flew off the clock haha, to be fair though I was on an empty motorway with 5 people and luggage in the car going down a huge hill, so maybe that helped.

The wind must have been behind me ahaha, cos It wouldn't go past 105 next time I tried.

Legend that car was.
I miss it haha.

After all the almera's just a bigger version ;)

My stripped out one barely did 92mph... (Private road)

loving that car! id like one possibly in the future.

i test drove a gold 1.9TD with mint sport seats and 17" pug alloys, didnt like how the power came in then disappears straight away so i got an almera :)

jedi said:
Errr a French car! Wouldnt touch a Peugeot again or any other French car for that matter- sorry!

Very tiday example you got there tho

Haha I love the whole "Errrr it's French" attitude. People say they're unreliable and crap when this is blatently bollocks. I think my family have done around 650,000 miles in a number of Pugs over the years and never had any serious problems or even changed a head gasket (apaprt from on my Mi16 when I bought and fully rebuilt the engine). Love em. :P

Had a bit of a razz in the HDi this morning along the road I usually drive to work in the 205 (now in hibernation over the winter) and have to say it handles bloody well for a larger car. The slightly wider footprint makes it corner really decisively, even more chuffed with it. :)

isK said:
To be honest, it's not really fair racing it with an almera GTi... ;)

I know it's not going to win, would just like to show it wouldn't get as beaten as most people would think.

I remember when I still had my Almera and was reading some of the stories on here of people beating other cars half of which were clearly nonsense and typical pub talk as I was (after a short while of ownership) actually quite disappointed how slow the Almera feels. If it had a more powerful engine in it as standard I probably would still have it now to be honest.

I'm not stirring anything or trying to provoke a reaction, I would genuinely like to see an 306 HDi side by side with a standard Almera GTi to see what the difference actually is.

Back
Top Bottom