Squealing 'mera

Hi all

theres a recent issue thats surfaced with my 2000 N16 1.5e almera

1) this ONLY occurs when the car is cold, i.e. has been parked for a few hours or in the mornings, when pulling away, if i have to full lock the steering wheel, as i often do to pull out, i hear a high pitched squealing noise coming from the engine area

can anyone shed some light on this?

2) the second squeal comes when going around a 'circular' bit of grass in a cul-de-sac, when rolling around that 'roundabout' in the cul-de-sac at 5-10mph i get a squeaking noise coming from the back tyres, kinda like the noise you get when people are going around corners at 50mph

is this normal?

and also, squeal-y brakes too! assuming this is normal?

apologies for the noobish questions, first car, and im already hunting for my next almera as this one is giving me a few issues!

cheers

Both are probably pointing to a defective fan belt or a low powersteering fluid level, i would put money on it being a worn fan belt.

power steering fluid was topped up not too long ago for the first time ever.lol

im gna be extremely ignorant now and ask, what is the fan belt and what does it do?

im assuming it has something to do with the fan?! and has a belt of some sort involved?!

is it major if i dont bother replacing it or should i get it replaced? the squealing only happens when the car is 'cold'?

cheers

Its a belt that connects your engine to the Air con, the alternater, the power steering pump, So that they all work. When the belt is worn and is put under strain it squeels. If you rev the car the squeel will stop. It is more noticable when its cold.

They're very cheap to replace.

okie dokie, thats getting replaced tomorrow then

although, i can only wish i had air con on that monstrosity of a car :(

cheers for the help and swift replies chappy!

Back
Top Bottom