Very slow Acceleration and Rev Count

Hello! Just bought a Nissan Almera II N16 2000 Hatchback, it was in great condition (160 000 KM) and passed inspection and cleared til next year. But I have a problem where it takes a LONG time for it to accelerate to the point where I hesitate to go out on a freeway with it because I fear it won't reach 120 KM/H fast enough. It struggles in inclines and hills and when I bottom the gaspedal the revcounter doesn't go beyond 3000. Tomorrow I will change the plugs and hopefully it will run good, but it is kind of depressing since it's my first car.

Probably the front catalytic converter is partially plugged/melted. Very common problem on these, both the 1.5l and the 1.8l.
Thanks, will check it out ASAP, be back by Tuesday for a full report, is there any easy way to fix this? Luckily my fathers good at production engineering but I have to be able to explain it to him

Last edited:
The fix is to replace the catalytic converter (could be a bit expensive) or remove the innards out of the thing (most likely won't pass MOT after that). It's the big metal can bolted to the exhaust header.

Always verify before doing anything though. If you have access to a borescope, you could remove the lambda sensor on the converter and check how the cell looks. Might be able to peer down through the hole without a scope too. You could also take the part off the car for proper visual inspection; labor wise it's not too bad, but rusty nuts and bolts could slow down the job exponentially.

The fix is to replace the catalytic converter (could be a bit expensive) or remove the innards out of the thing (most likely won't pass MOT after that). It's the big metal can bolted to the exhaust header.

Always verify before doing anything though. If you have access to a borescope, you could remove the lambda sensor on the converter and check how the cell looks. Might be able to peer down through the hole without a scope too. You could also take the part off the car for proper visual inspection; labor wise it's not too bad, but rusty nuts and bolts could slow down the job exponentially.
Thanks for the concise answer, this is the only thing that has been bugging me about the car since it looks and drives great apart from this, it passed inspection the 7th July this month so I tought i'd only have to do the usual maintenance

Back
Top Bottom