Weso's GTi

Hi chaps,
Thought I'd start a thread after taking a few pics over the weekend after a quck wash.
I bought this car a couple of weeks ago as I started a new job so needed transport, and thought to myself 'what can I get that's properly cheap but still a bit of fun?'
The car was originally going to a quick stopgap, but after driving it for a couple of weeks I'm really tempted to keep it and turn it into a daily driver/track slag, as the handling is so impressive for a stock car. Love the turn in, loads of grip, very little roll, and the revvy little engine is a peach!
Any advice on simple mods appreciated (bear in mind it will be an economy track slag though!).
Anyway enough of my drivel, on with the pics -
Image0036.jpg

Image0038.jpg

Image0037.jpg

Image0039.jpg

Image0040.jpg

Image0041.jpg

Hope you likey
Wes :)

That is very nice and tidy, seems like a good buy indeed.

As for mods there are plenty about some of the common ones to start off with are:
Stainless Steel Manifold and Header (some on ebay)
Some aftermarket cams
A sports/light flywheel
Uprated pulleys
A decent cold air intake and to top it off a full stainless steel exhaust system!

Hope it helps.

Looks in great nick Wes :cool: I'd think a set of lowering springs, an induction kit, custom exhaust & a decent set of brake pads would be a good start - especially if you're keeping the budget low. The Gti boys will keep you right !

Welcome, these cars make great track slags, if I was starting from scratch again and was doing it on a budget here's what I'd do:
- Coilovers, definitely worth the money, transforms the drive!
- Good brake pads, as stock ones will die after 2 track days. EBC red/yellow stuff are recommended.
- Good Tyres, Toyo T1R or Yoko Parada spec II are cheap and good, under £140 a set!

You could do all of the above for way under £1000, probably closer to £700. But then there's some free mods i'd do to help the car along also:
- Strip EVERYTHING out from the front seats back, all the metal plates from under the seats, all the sound deadening etc, this helps a LOT.
- Take the stock cold air feed and resonator boxes off, and replace with ghetto DIY cold air feed, preferably a big 2.5 or 3" one.
- Take the CAT off and smash the insides through.
- Advance the timing to 17.5*.

And you'd soon be keeping up with the majority of sh*t out there on track.
Joe

Having spent a bit of time reading things on the forum, and then 20 mins messing about with the dial pod today as there was a dodgy connection somewhere (now fixed I think), I'm not sure this car is entirely standard.
The resonator box in the inner wing has been removed, and on closer inspection it might have a 4-2-1 header. If anyone's got a pic of the stock header they could stick up so I can compare I'd be grateful.
Cheers
Wes

very clean car matey,
welcome along

joe summed it up nicely there with the mod list :)

come to the essex meet at lakeside sunday :)

Cheers guys.
To answer the few q's, mileage is 120k, few spots of rust, bit of scabbing on both rear arches, could do with a couple of front wings if I decide to tart it up, but the sills are totally rock solid, which is a result.
Would love to come to a meet, but my job entails working every hour god sends at this time of year, so will probably be in the summer when things quieten down a bit!
Will keep this thread updated with anything I do for those interested!
Cheers again

Just a quick update, finally got round to getting the induction kit fitted over the weekend, big thanks to Sirmixalot and Quickdraw for supplying the bits.
Anyway it's made up of a stainless hard pipe and big old cone filter, don't suppose it makes any real difference to bhp, but it makes a pretty cool noise at about 4k rpm!
Next up after a bloody good service - cold air feed then exhaust mods (hopefully!)
Couple of pics -
Image0048.jpg

Image0047.jpg

Image0046.jpg

Been a little while since I updated this, so here's a little of what's been happening -
Put the front strut brace on the right way round :lol:
Disks and pads changed all round (stock pads at the mo)
Toyo Proxes T1-R all round (much better than the LingLang ditchfinders that were on it!)
A bloody good service.
Put on new stainless cat back (cheers Ross/Rick)
Image0083.jpg

Sounds better, will sound better still with new header/downpipe (still looking if anyone's got one)

Since that bloody volcano belched shite everywhere work has got a bit scarce, so I've been trying not to spend any more money. I thought to myself 'what can I do to it that's free?' to which I replied 'start with the lightening procedure'.

Removed so far are -
Front fogs
Stereo and speakers
Rear wiper motor/arm
All trim from the boot
Spare wheel/jack/tool kit

Whilst removing the carpet from the boot, the offside inner wheelarch looked a bit grotty -
Image0081.jpg

That's after a quick rub down to see how bad it was (not that bad TBH)
Then I removed the nearside -
Image0082.jpg

Oh bollocks. Totally fucked. All around the seatbelt mounting points so feck knows how it went through an MOT last August with no advisories :roll:
Initial thoughts were to weigh it in, but I like a challenge, so a-welding we will go.
More updates soon (hopefully)

Back
Top Bottom