whirring noise from front wheel

hi all,

would a bearing go if you changed from 15's to 17's? i changed over my wheels last night since then the front passenger wheel makes a loud whirring noise while driving , and braking sounds very whirry and loud too.. seems to be only coming from the front left wheel.

i checked the heat shield and all, didnt seem to be touching - what could it be?

its not a scraping noise - a whirring sound , loud

thanksss

I thought spigot rings were only needed if you are using adapters etc?

I put 17 inch Lenso alloys on theyre multi-fit 100 and 108 i think, no noise coming from the other wheels just a very loud whirring sound from the front left - - and it doesnt go away on braking in fact gets louder if anything

nah they're Toyo T1s all round - not blocky tread its straight lines going around the tyre theyre of a decent tread, the fronts have more then the backs - generally good tyres no damage on em whatsoever

I kno they are meant to be soft tyres but if they all made noise then it would make sense :S

I want to but i've lost my locking nut lol. Lucks not really going too good - tomorrow being sunday an' all

I am more worried its a bearing that was gone that I could hear whirring now that 17s were on for some strange reason..

or maybe brakepad stuck to the disc - even tho they still have about 30% life in them from the look of it

you can usually feel a "buzz" in the suspension leg when the wheel bearing is nackered eh (jacked up, with wheel spinning) :)

maybe a misshapen tyre, where some of the inside tread blocks are lower than the others, makes and almost identicle noise as a worn hub bearing. Worth a look as we get alot at work, especially on wider tyres.

Hope this helps

Matt

Thank you - any key points in figuring out a misshapen tyre? other then looking at it? Will it lose air ? Because i was having problems filling this particular tyre up with air aswell yesterday before putting them on

Hi I have a P1 Gti and I have experienced similar issues when switcing to 17 inch wheels and tyres. If the tyre size is 225 45 17 or bigger they will often foul on the bottom of the front spring cup so check the inside of the wheel and tyre. They can also rub on the wheelarch liner at the back. On the alloys check they have clearance on the inside by the hub and brake caliper. I had exactly the same noise, sounded like a bearing failure, turned out to be a tyre with a damaged wall. Spigot bushes are vital to centre the wheel on the hub and take up any slack between the wheel and the hub. Look them up on ebay ring their shop and they will sell you them for £10 a set. They are often rather tight and to fit but you should not just rely on the nuts to centralise the wheel. The force on the studs is too much and you can sheer the studs off and lose a wheel....not good. The grip from a decent 17 inch is impressive but they tramline like a b>>std hope this helps:)

thanks - i think it is a damaged tyre . well now firstly im going to get these locking nuts removed and then take it from there. i shal report back!

Back
Top Bottom