You know Nymo.. now meet Stevo!

Corbs said:
Dammit... why do I get the feeling that I've made a mistake... :O lol. Sorry I know basically sweet FA about engines at the moment and the seller said due to the last recorded service being so long ago I should get the cambelt checked?

its a chain mate. think i recall someone saying it should last the lifetime of your engine or a few hundred thousand miles. with your mileage being so high it might be worth changing it. someone with more information will let you know

personally i would check the engine over thoroughly first, if the compression is spot on and it looks like its been looked after then maybe consider changing the chain but if anything doesnt seem right i would bother with it. tbh it will probably never snap anyway, the ones that do snap seem to be random anyway and not dependant on mileage. just keep it going aslong as you can, if it snaps then you have lost a high mileage engine that might have died in 10 years or 10 days, no reason why this is more likely to snap than one on 60k though from what iv heard.

shaun said:
you will have problems insuring a car that not registered in your name

not true. insured my first car before i registered it in my name. i could insure myself on your car if i liked.

norwch union wouldn't insure my girlfriend on my car for one day because its not registered in her name

couldnt care less mate. i insured myself on my mates car because that was who i was buying the car off. cheapest quote i got was norwich union because of my pass plus. out of coincidence my mate was also insured with norwich union. so me and my mate were insured with our own seperate policys on the same car with the same insurerer and the V5 hadnt even been signed yet. so yes you can insure yourself on someone elses car.

shaun said:
norwch union wouldn't insure my girlfriend on my car for one day because its not registered in her name

Then how does fleet insurance for company cars work, or hire cars, or courtesy cars. If i pick a registration number, find out car details then i can drive it under the terms of my policy. Mums hyundai, step dads company car, aunts puma, mates vectra, focus, pulsar, 200sx, mr2 turbo have all had my name on them in relation to insurance at some point.

Yup, my current insurance lets me drive any car (with owners permission) and I don't even have to tell them. Only third-party cover in that case but no problem getting fully comp for, say, my Dad's car. It covers any other legal driver driving my car too so long as they are legal and have my permission (again, third-party only).

That's with Budget but I'm moving to a simpler policy with Zurich because Budget want nearly £500 a year for my 2000 1.5E and Zurich will do me no-frills fully comp for well under £200. Even paying for RAC cover I get with the Budget policy and £100 windscreen excess it's still way cheaper with Zurich.

I`m looking @ my policy now & it states:

"The policyholder may also drive, with the owners permission, a Motor Car not owned by the policyholder and not hired to the policyholder under a hire purchase or annual leasing agreement, for Third Party Only cover."

The same as Wraiths, but that`s the actual wording.

So it looks like we could all be driving each others `meras @ the big meet! ;)

i had to be 25 before i could drive other cars, and i'd have to be realy pissed to let anyone drive mine as im a crap passenger expecialy in my own

Yeah, Im not allowed to drive other cars at the mo until im 25. However, I get all my mods covered and when I had another 3 points added I didnt have to pay any extra. Sweet! :lol:

By the way Corbs, welcome to the 2000cc club dude :p

Corbs said:
So if I took out a short term policy, could I get the tax when that was covering me?

Try Norwich Union mate. They do short term insurance.

http://www.norwichunion.com/short-term-insurance/index.htm

tomasti said:
Yeah, Im not allowed to drive other cars at the mo until im 25. However, I get all my mods covered and when I had another 3 points added I didnt have to pay any extra. Sweet! :lol:

I've got 3rd party extension, which allows me to drive any other car with the owners permission. I'm only 23 as well.

Ropaz99 said:
Let me know if you solve this problem with shaking at 80mph as mine seems to do this, i had it tracked and balanced and it still does it so any help would be appreciated...

i recently had a golf mk3 and i had it tracked and balanced aswell but it still seemed to shake the steering after going over 70mph and i was told that the car might have been in a accident i didnt really know what to say but i asked many people and they said the same thing so maybe thats why your steering is still shaking hopefully that will not be the case, becuase i felt like a right clown when i was told that but its all good i sold it at a whoping £2800 (made alot of profit) and damn was i happy :)

Finally did some stuff to the car this week!
Swapped over the GTi alloys from my SRi and it got rid of the whole wheel wobble problem (And for some reason they look better on the 5-door) So getting myself another set of GTi 15's to go on it.
Today I replaced the engine oil, spark plugs and oil filter (HOW HARD IS IT TO GET THE DAMN THING OFF!) which were all first times for me, think I did pretty well on my own (Not counting the non-sr20 haynes manual and the 2 phonecalls to Tris aka Veero!).
Nearly lost the spark plug socket set in the engine multiple times but got it out in the end.
Still got to get the bodywork sorted and pollen filter replaced but all in good time!

Lets see some pics :)
What oil did you use man?
I want to change my oil, i was thinking of using 10W30 instead of my usual 10W40. Does anyone know if it will be ok to use 5W30 for the Almera??

Back
Top Bottom