1998 GTi....needs some major tlc!

Well i cleaned all inside the door jams today, removing rubbers, removing grime and then covering in protective wax.

Remember i said only the drivers door has a bump strip on while others where removed? found out why.....its not a GTi door, its def a replacment. the top doesnt match with the roof exactly and it hasnt dropped. also the black vinyl between the drivers window and the back window? well he sprayed it black on the door!

this prat is getting worse in my opinion......now need a door too....ARRGGHHH! :D

If you take the arch liners out you can really dig out all that muck that sits behind the flaps that you blasted out. Ive done mine a few times, the last time, i took the wings off and undersealed them inside, and all the sill where that muck collects.

been busy on the car again...finding the good and bad!
Car was cleaned, tar spot removed, wheels polished, part clay bar'ed, pressure washed and waxed.

06122009941.jpg

Interior hoovered, polished (inc taking off the chrome almera side plates to polish underneath!), dusted, sealed and berry blasted.

06122009944.jpg

Also the tailgate was polished, waxed round all sides removing all gunk under rubbers then water sealed on top of paint. :D

first of all the sidelights were poor, real poor. i think the last owner had tried to tint the bulbs as there was paint on them! so removed them and replaced by 501 SMD's which are very bright. heres a pic of the sidelights now:

06122009940.jpg

The holes from that stupid spoiler on the rear of the car left holes were he drilled through. Put some JDM stickers on for now but will get better ones or new spoiler:

06122009942.jpg

Also had a powerful sub and amp doing nowt upstairs, now this temporary until feb of next year (will explain in a minute). Wired with Fusion cabling correctly through car, fused twice, and all cables hidden correctly. Loud fecker at 1200W but might clean my ears out. I have noticed one good thing about the car (hooray!) someone changed all the speakers to JVC components even putting new tweeters on the door card and disabling the a pillar ones, sounds really good actually:

06122009943.jpg

The bad. Well the car has been welded in the rear, rough job but soild and sealed. its in the back next to the rear seat belt anchor:

06122009945.jpg

This has determined the fate of the car to me. I will never be able to get it to excellent condition although it will be tons better yet, so in feb, after i have used it to go visit my dad down south, im stripping most of the interior out to make it more of a track car. Will be looking to increase the power slightly as well, want to get to about 180bhp at flywheel so should be pretty easy. I will be keeping the standard parts though in the shed just in case. Also in the spring car will be stripped close to a shell on the drive, any areas needing a weld will be done and everywhere sealed.

Oh, on another subject i found one of my old jap plates i made. this was a rough one as the writing wasnt printed high enough. All sealed in perspex and the correct height and width. lot cheaper than real JDM plates. any good?:

06122009946.jpg

:D

well seeing the exhaust tip just fell apart in my hands!, I went out tonight to helfrauds and got another. To be honest a want a straight through system but i cant yet as i still have to go to my dads in feb (380 mile trip) so this tidied it up for now.

09122009958.jpg

09122009959.jpg

Also i had a look under the car at the rest of the exhaust.....and i think the car already has a decat on! result!

i presume im correct?

09122009956.jpg

oh yea... look at the wire holding it up!

AMAZING!

This was my car!!

However, I'm only responsible for the good bits, not the bad...

I sold the car in approximately April/May 2007.

It was VERY original at that point, as I like my cars to be pretty 'un-modded'.

This said, I put the de-cat pipe on it - bought it off ebay for about £45 - oddly enough I am looking for one right now for my latest GTi...

I had a new clutch and clutch cable fitted (I think it had done about 82k from memory) and again, from memory, the only problem when I sold it was the drivers side front brake caliper rattled over rough surfaces (but worked fine).

I think I replaced the front brake discs and pads too, and of course I had a good service carried out.

When I bought the car I went over it with a fine-toothed comb (just like I am doing with my current one), replaced any broken bits, fixed a few interior rattles etc. - it was a great car, bloody quick for standard too!

Oh yeah, the rear arches were beginning to rust so I had them repaired too - only got as far as primer when I sold the car though :(

If you need to know anything please give me a shout, I may just know the answer.

Good luck with the restore,

Ezz.

WOW! hi ezzer!

well car has 117k on it now so it must of done a fair few miles since you had it. Think it used to belong to a lad from teeside / middlesbrough way before i got it...he must of been the one who shagged the car with the spoilers etc!

dont worry its in safe hands now. even today im going out for a bit of a polish...think im going to do inside of the spare wheel well and maybe a bit more cleaning of the engine!

Plans are coming along for it. I have on the way from other members on here driver and passenger wings in red rust free...my front ones are scabbed to hell plus dented badly, driver wing mirror in red to replace my black taped special, 2 side skirts in red which i will completly seal the abortion of a weld on the passenger side and hide it plus the all important battery clamp.

In spring i will be attacking the rear arches again. Im going to grind them back to see if i can hit rust free metal, if not then i will be replacing the whole arch with a new one. The tailgate has a bit of rust so i will try and get that rust free or most likely keep an eye out for a gti tailgate thats really clean.
I also need to get the car up on ramps and seal the rear arches where the suspension is so the rot doesnt return as in the pic above, will most likely weld a plate across at height.
Car will need undersealing completely underneath, I may take out a section of the engine to seal the engine bay.

Also next year i might look for a low milage replacement engine and rebuild it with new shells etc and transfer it across and keep my current one for backup.

Oh and some second hand coilovers would be handy as it sits way too high!

I have two red bucket seats ready to go in about march as thats when its getting stripped for lightness but i am keep the interior in the shed wrapped up.

Anything else you can think of ezzer let me know cos i keep finding things each day! but im a fussy twat!:D

Hi mate,

I'm still gobsmacked that I found the old beast :)

I should have pointed out actually, the rear arch work I had done was only on the exterior, that mess inside the boot must have been done afterwards...

I've been trying to think of the other work I had done - trust me, you ain't fussy compared to me! lol

As and when I remember bits I'll let you know - I left a DVD player with a little 3" screen in when I sold it, is that still in?

Here's a funny one too - when I bought the car it had just one door strip - I couldn't remove it as it had been 'painted around' (I think the door had been replaced with one from an Si or something), so I bought the other 3 (about £150 or something daft) so it matched...

Keep in touch anyway, and I'll keep racking my brain.

Regards,

Ezz.

there was no dvd player in although i put one in myself.
the door.....yes the drivers door is deffo the one your on about, it was from a blue car as you can see part of the bump strip missing. but the other 3 have now gone.

today polished inner spare wheel well and removed radiator brackets, reground, primed and sprayed. Also removed front seats and cleaned underneath. Also rear seat pad...loads of crap underneath and also found bank statements, credit card reciepts from the last owner! good job im honest! also on the reciept it says darlington so that was were it was from.

started to polish back the air con pipes but it started raining....i need therapy! :D:lol:

replaced the front tyres...had too seeing the last numpty had patched the insides with super glue and a pushbike puncture outfit...i kid ya not!

most important mod this week....sticker!

14122009960.jpg

Haha, although apparently rusty metal is heavier than normal metal, so rust isnt lighter (although if bits rust and fall off.....WIN)

Just recieved my 2 new wings in red. Im hopefully going to put them on this weekend if its dry. I have a big tin of underseal so im going to coat tthe inside of the wings and lips, plus im going to underseal the inner wings and anything else i can see. The grinder will be out to cut anything back too.

best of all though i now have a drivers wing mirror in red! took 2 mins to attach and gave it a bit of t-cut to polish it up...its getting there now. :D

15122009968.jpg

Thanks to sri_alan for sending me the stuff :thumbs:

No probs Lee, good to see it coming back to life. Good idea with the wings, I did the same with my pulsars wings, zinc coated everything vulnerable then under sealed everything, round the lips, round the end of the sills where the water drains away and all the inner wing chassis structure

well...loads done since last time!
As you know thw wings are now on, I have sorted out the weld patch on the sill and put the side skirts on. Also undersealed most of the car.
Dropped the suspension by about 50mm.
Also taking a leaf out of Rowdys gti....im stripping it to make it lightweight. I have kept everything i have taken off and put it in the loft so it doesnt go mouldy. I spent most of this weekend with the grinder and removed any trace of corrosion inside the car and also flattened down them awful welds on the side. The interior was then primed and sealed to prevent it coming back. I also added some decals into the boot as i now produce my own vinyl. heres a few pics:

280220101061.jpg

280220101063.jpg

060320101071.jpg

060320101072.jpg

070320101073.jpg

070320101074.jpg

Back
Top Bottom