245/40/17 phatt-ness

well i needed noew tyres and i want more grip as thats what is stopping me get faster times on the 1/4 mile so i went for the widest tyres i could find that would fit the car.. so i got some fedral 245 wide bad boys..

03062008496.jpg

Fitted on the rotor grids :-

03062008499.jpg

tested on the car much girth lol

03062008500.jpg

but they were rubbing on the suspention struts so i needed 5mm spacers just to get the clearence :D

on the car

03062008501.jpg

can anyone say TIGHT!!
03062008503.jpg

03062008504.jpg

03062008505.jpg

fingers crossed it will help the grip levels :D

Awesome mate, lovin the fat tyre look. I've got 205/55/16 on mine now (photos soonish) and I thought they were fat :D Should get that grid you want anyway!

245's thats wide, did you get 4 or just the fronts? im running 215/40/16 and they grippy so yours must be like velcro, start getting some oversteer? good luck on the 1/4's :D

ah watch out for kerbs etc since feb ive gone through 2 new tyres just catching stuff wear the rim would prevent side wall holes

Mark, whats that thing about wider tyres ( upto a point ) not giving any extra grip? .....just changing the contact patch shape?

Essentially you have lost grip in a straight line by going to a wider tyre. It will help your cornering grip more than anything.

Your contact patch will be exactly the same size, just a different shape. Like this:
jtrengtrn.jpg

well we shall see whats happened in a few weeks at the drag day.. :)

im confused how you think iv lost grip by adding an extra 80mm of tyre to tarmac contact and by putting alot better compund tyre on there..

your picture is asuming a hell of alot.. like tyre pressure and weight of the car how hard the sidewalls are and also the compund of the tyres themselves..

What about all the high performance RWD cars that have wider rear wheels/tyres? I thought that was to give better drive traction.

im running 225/40/18s on the n16, but the offset of the rims, mean the wheels sit out a tad too far, may cause difficulty when i lower it, but will adjust the camber, and getting narrower tyres may help.

understand that dude hence why the backs are still 205's... there probly only a 1kg more each side but the extra traction should help the 60ft times and bring my overal time down...

On a related note, I've gone from 195/55 on 16" OEM wheels to 205/55 on 16" Rota Grids, and have reduced the weight by... 200g per wheel! :D lol I have to admit I was hoping for more of a reduction with lightweight Rotas but I'm happy with that :)

I'm with Ian on this, increasing rotating mass by even a small amount has a big effect. What's the overall circumference compared to the ones you were using before ?

its exactly the same well within a cm.. all thats increased is the width.. and a slight bit of unsprung weight..

Back
Top Bottom