Almera CarBQ

Provided your keeping the Rack, Weld up the UJ as it goes through the firewall.. A small bar plate spanned over to stop it flopping around and your good to go.

Then just track up the wheels AFTER they are at the ride height your going for.

Thanks K. I think thats what im going to do.

Reet, i need a few things to get this finished...

Front indicator bulb holders/wiring plugs, front sidelight holders/wiring plugs and some rear brake light bulb holders :)

Also on the look out for a a suitable grille for the oil drum, needs to be around 3ftx2ft so keep your eyes peeled at tips/carboots/skips ect ect!

Lets help the cause people, this will be feeding you at JAE so lets make it work!

Ideal, if its going spare let me know the sizes. Im gonna have a look up teh tip tomorrow. I dont mind having to use two 2ftx1.5ft grilles. Would just be cool to get one big enough to fit it :)

I got sidelight holders you can have?? and possibly front indicator bulb holders, but i dont have the plugs/wires?.....still ok??

Image0072.jpg

i know a place that will make custom stainless steel grilles but up to you if you want to go to that expense

thanks for that chunky, but i would like to have the connectors too. for some reason i didnt cut them off the loom before i scrapped the rest of the shell... wooops!

Paul, yeah ive had a quote of £65 for a ST/ST 3ftx2ft grille. But id rather do it on the cheap tbh!

Great find Ollie. I think i might get one of those... will make life ALOT easier! No prep work on teh oil drum, just weld it straight in!

Spook, yes i did plan to put some grills in the bottom, was just going to use some old mesh fence tho! And it'll be towed backwards, but im going to be fitting red LED sidelights and a brake light bulb holder with red LED bulb in the headlights so i wont need a trailer board :)

EDIT - just looked at the dimensions, 100cm wide.. theres only 91cm between the strut turrets.... Do you reckon that the 100cm width will include the end pieces the handles bolt to??

Follow up...

Bought one of those argos bbqs... a word of warning to others, they are NOT half an oil drum. Just the same shape! Half an oil drum would be 36"x24" but this is apprx 30"x18". Never the less im gonna roll with it as ive got a couple more ideas to fill the space :)

Reet.... Its been a long time coming, but ive finally ordered the rest of the stuff needed to get this finished. (I didnt think it was going to cost me this much, but hey ho) Here's what ive bought today;

1) 50mmx50mm steel box section for the draw bar
2) Pressed steel tow hitch
3) Breakaway chain
4) 2x 1mx0.5m Mild steel sheet
5) Portable gas camping stove and a handfull of refills
6) Drill bit set
7) New power drill (my old one isnt adjustable so it useless for drilling metal)

SO all that along with the cost of the BBQ drum and the countless amounts of cutting discs, so far ive spent about £150!! On the plus side ive managed to get myself 1/2 a towbar for free, i just need to make up a bracket to mount it to the chassis (i should hopefully have enough steel in teh garage to make one with no extra cost!).

Ive got headlights and front indicators which ill be converting to use as rear lights, i just need to make up a wiring harness. I also need to tidy up where i cut the car and then weld in plates to fill/cover gaps ect. Ill be paint the external bulkhead and the inside matt black and ill leave the rest of it multi coloured :) Hopefully progress should start sunday, if not monday afternoon :biggrin:

Oh and just a quick pic of how it stands at the moment!

DSC_1434_800x600.jpg

just a thought but why didnt you just put your reg plate and rear lights etc etc on a board or metal sheeting etc like some trailers have etc, then you can take it off any time, and keep the front of the almera like original :)

Back
Top Bottom