cars all over the road

had the tracking done and car drove spot on, after a few weeks of my lass drivin i got back in and the steering isnt straight n it pulls all over the road, took it back to recheck trackin n its fine, but ats monkey said the drop link has a missing bushing, bought new drop link too, went to fit it and the old ones fine, cant spot anything untoward under there, anyone got any ideas what to check?

i did notice the large triangular plate thats near the jacking point is bent, but it doesnt attatch or hold anything structural, dunno if this coul be affecting owt?

stupid suggestion it may seem, but check your tire pressures. less air in one side may cause the car to pull slightly, making it uneasy.

+1 aswell as checking wear. Wheel is placed on ok and no loose nuts? Is there any vibration in the wheel? Any trips through pot holes do you know?

Random guess but what about the Track Rod Ends? Can't really be tracked right if it's going all over the place as you say so check the above first then take it back to the garage, grab the spanner monkey by the nadgers and tell him to get it sorted

A track rod end could have seized??? Not uncommon although you would feel it in the steering. check all tyres for bulges or heavy wear and of course tyre wear!

I always used to think my car was tracking off a mile, but its hard to tell on normal roads, as they're cambered quite a lot

i did notice the large triangular plate thats near the jacking point is bent, but it doesnt attatch or hold anything structural, dunno if this coul be affecting owt?

are you meaning the arm?

if so erm it holds your full wheel, hub, everything so yes this would cause an issue

a big issue

I always used to think my car was tracking off a mile, but its hard to tell on normal roads, as they're cambered quite a lot

I get this, sometimes it feels as though the tracking is badly off and it trys to go off to the left, but other times it seems absolutely fine.

no not the wishbone, lol, im on about the smaller triangle plate further back, cant see it being structural, looks more like a protective cover for summit.

ive replaced 1 track rod end, think i'll replace the other side just to be certain, never heard of them siezing before tho

tyres are all fine, i check the pressures regularly at work.

running out of ideas, ive had it on the ramps at work n all ball joints are fine, fitter at work says it could be a weight off one of the driveshafts, but i cant see it bein that or the car would pull worse than now!

so annoying!

aslong as it isnt the arm then :)

but it could be a various amount of things that could cause it

bent steering column - worn bushes in the column - wheel bearing (but you would hear the knocking)

bent wheel (but you would feel the vibration)

seized track rod - buggered track rod

even loose suspension

What is the tracking set at ?? Too much toe out will increase turn in response but will need constant correction to keep straight.

FOUND IT! thanks for all the help, was at work tonight n had it on the ramps again and by pure luck i noticed theres play on the steering rack, not bad enough to really notice but its there! so looks like quickdraw was right!

also while i was under there i noticed the 2nd lower earth to the gearbox has snapped, could be why its having bit bother starting!

:D

glad to help :)

sometimes i can be a nice guy haha

glad you found it though

depends which earths they are, but generally they requiring earthing out if they are supposed to be LOL

general rule of thumb, if something is there like an earth it is there for a reason, so renew it if it is snapped, it may stop something frying later on if so :)

a good earthed engine bay is never a bad thing

car was checked over last sat, and been told its not the seering rack, there is play there but it not enough to warrant the handling issues, it would still fly an mot in its current state, or so ive been told...

so this weekend the cars in bits, i'll update if i find owt.

think ive found the problem, few weeks ago me n me dad did the brakes, i did the ns while he did the os, we had the calipers off to spray them up n clean them, i told him to use the silicone spray but i think he used the wd-40 cos the pistons at fault, the pads were just slightly catching the disc but not enough for me to notice, for a quick test i took it for a blast n noticed when i braked the car pulled itself straight, so tomorrows mission is to fix it.

also think the ns wheel bearing might be starting to go, noticed a grease burning smell when i got back, gonna have a lookie at that too

Back
Top Bottom