Cortinamike77's GTi

• Thread starter Thread starter Cortinamike77
  • Start date Start date
C

Cortinamike77

Thought it best that I start a members rides thread as I have been busy this weekend with the car and more new bits are on their way.

Brought this 99 T Reg GTI a week ago needing a bit of work, Only pictures I have from collection day.

P01-01-11_15-37.jpg

P01-01-11_15-371.jpg

And below a list of jobs that need sorting.

Tax: Brought the car the day it ran out of that doh! £112.75 gone straight away.

Numberplate: I need to get my private plate swapped over from my other car, trouble is DVLA take ages to do this!

Service: Fresh oil, new plugs, air, fuel, pollen and oil filters replaced. Fresh coolant and flush and brake fluid topped up along with washer fluid. Total spent so far on all this £179.00

Replacement Screen: Mine has a huge crack in it drivers side right across the line of vision so will be getting this done through insurance as soon as my other car is sold as I am very short of reddies at the moment.

Brakes: Having got the car on the road it's become apparent that the front discs and pads are passed it. Discs both sides are warped as I am getting alot of judder through the wheel and peddal on mid to high speed stopping and at low speed juddering through the pedal. Pads are ok(ish) but it seems like a good plan to change these now. I have ordered non performance replacementts at the moment as I want this sorted ASAP and dont have the £ for the EBC discs and pads just yet but come the summer they will be swapped to that set up.

Rear Shocks: Basically I believe these are FUBAR aswell the car seems to squat and bounce about like a jelly over any bumps on the rear end. I need to get these replaced in the near future, does anyone know what set up works best for a regular budget?

Rust: As shown below the car has a touch of tin worm around the rear arches, but this isnt as bad as it looks and the inner arch is solid and the arch lips just have surface patches on them which need cleaning up and re-spraying. This will be a job for the summertime.

P09-01-11_15-42.jpg

P09-01-11_15-421.jpg

P09-01-11_15-422.jpg

Interior: I seem to have a habit of buying cars which dont have interior matts. I have ordererd a new set from eBay which is due to arrive next week, just regular black carpeted jobbies. Also the car requires a new CD player as the one thats in there at the moment only seems to play copied CD's and doesnt have an Ipod/iPhone adaptor or slot. Installed today was a cigarette lighter from a K11 Micra as the car came without one and I will need it for sat nav.

P09-01-11_15-435.jpg

I also need to fix this blown bulb. I tired fitting some ice white bulbs I had left over but neither worked in the bulb carriers so I am stumped with that at the moment will just order a regular bulb for now.

P07-01-11_19-25.jpg

Cleaning: When I picked up the car it had been sitting for ages by the looks of it and being located in the country it was pretty dirty so it's been treated to the following.
Snowfoamed
Wheels cleaned with Bilberry (Strong mixture)
Washed 2 Bucket Method & Lambswool Mit
Door Shuts cleaned with Meguires APC
Wheel Arches De-greased and clean with Wynns De-greaser
Dried Sonus Waffle Weave Towels
Clayed with Sonus Clay
Rinsed Off and wiped down with Meguires Quick Detailer
Quick polish with Meguires Orbital & Meguires Scratch and Swirl remover on Menerza Pad
Snowfoamed again
Dried
Ultimate Show Shine applied
Chem Guys Wet Look sealant
Waxed with what I had left of the Nattys Paste and then a fresh coat of Colinite
Windows cleaned with Stoner Glass cleaner.

Results...

P09-01-11_15-431.jpg

P09-01-11_15-433.jpg

P09-01-11_15-43.jpg

Added these from my other car,

P09-01-11_15-432.jpg

Removed dealer sticker (DC Cooke)

P09-01-11_15-434.jpg

P09-01-11_16-043.jpg

Took it out for a drive before the light faded totally,

P09-01-11_16-041.jpg

P09-01-11_16-042.jpg

P09-01-11_16-044.jpg

P09-01-11_16-05.jpg

P09-01-11_16-051.jpg

P09-01-11_16-052.jpg

P09-01-11_16-053.jpg

P09-01-11_16-06.jpg

P09-01-11_16-061.jpg

P09-01-11_16-062.jpg

Not perfect just yet but getting better each weekend also ran out of blasted tyre shine! HID' Kit on the shopping list :)

Wheels also need a re-furb soon and a new set of stickier tyres.

Mike

looking good! As for shocks, KYB Excel-G's from Buypartsby are your best bet.

and for brakes, stock discs are fine, just get some EBC pads and replace the fluid for DOT5.1, will be much better :)

Nice looking car, looks like your the perfect owner for it giving it nice amount of TLC

Rate KYB shocks highly, put new ones all around before I got coilovers. Cost me £150 all in :)

Que liam re HID's :ph34r:

Because i mentioned them once Eddie?

Car looks awesome mate. The last picture is my favourite :)

May the modding commence...

It's a mess under there to be honest doesnt look like it's ever been cleaned or de-greased in its life. I am going to wait until it warms up a bit before I tackle it. Think it'll be a full weekend job to be honest.
It's come up well so far but pictures dont do the shine justice really as I took them on a crappy camera phone, paint is now alot smoother than before but I still want to give it a proper going over with the polishing machine as I basically just removed the scratches last time around and some of the inperfections that were bugging me.

Cheers for the advice on the shocks, I spent a while hunting around before and couldnt find any that were remotley resonably priced but the ones on buypartsby seem like a decent investment to me so I'll snap them up at the start of next month and get that jelly rear end sorted out. Still not having much luck getting the remote to work for the locking though, I might have to get the boys down at Nissan to take a look.

Mike

Steve55 had them on his silver car. Not a fan of white on silver but if you think it rocks then go for it! Raceworx has silver Grids (normal ones) on his and they work really well because it's a nice high gloss silver :). Just mentioning them so you can see for yourself for some inspiration :)

See what you think pal, only reason I got shot of them, is they weighed a lot per wheel, I would have sprayed them gun metal if they were lighter

img_4488.jpg

Steve

Drool...

I am open to any colour just think they look extra wide in white, prehaps thats just photography playing mind games, Need some silver inspriation so feel free to post away sick silver GTIs :)

:)

Attachments

• Photo405..jpg
    Photo405..jpg
    357 KB · Views: 61
  • Photo231..jpg
    Photo231..jpg
    373.9 KB · Views: 43
  • steve55_IMAG0723..jpg
    steve55_IMAG0723..jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 39
  • Photo146..jpg
    Photo146..jpg
    348.5 KB · Views: 38
  • Photo400..jpg
    Photo400..jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 36
  • Smurph_S7300501..jpg
    Smurph_S7300501..jpg
    234 KB · Views: 38
  • Photo145..jpg
    Photo145..jpg
    286 KB · Views: 37
  • gtaye1..jpg
    gtaye1..jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 58
Oh and bronze chop

Attachments

• rossautech2volkb&#11.jpg
    rossautech2volkb&#11.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 24
The wheels on mine were matt black (last pic in the load ed put up). When you put tyre shine on them, they went a kind of shiny satin. They were frikkin awesome!!!! Black's a bit over-done now tho on silver cars.

Back
Top Bottom