Cortinamike77's GTi

• Thread starter Thread starter Cortinamike77
  • Start date Start date
Whenever I get a new car I can never wait though thats the problem:lol2:

However thye bank says no! Until the 1st of feb anyway

Took a day off work today to get some bits done on the car that I know I wont have time for at the weekend. Ordered several cans of underseal at the start of the week and they arrived yesterday with some other prep and paint goodies so I decided to get stuck in.

First up was the pesky corroded rear wiper which needed a good clean up and paint.

Before...Looking a bit of a sorry state,

1-3.jpg

Then after some prep and primer and a coat of gloss black..

3-3.jpg

2-5.jpg

Also painted the front wiper arms aswell, one has reacted though so will need stripping back and re doing soon :(

Next up was to get the rear arch areas stonechipped and undersealed up...

You think we might need some new discs round here too lol!

A-1.jpg

Calipers supplied by bottom of the sea racing by the looks of things

B.jpg

Anyway here is what it looked like under there before

C.jpg

D-1.jpg

Then after some cleaning, masking and getting covered in stonechip we had the following results

1-4.jpg

2-6.jpg

3-4.jpg

4-2.jpg

And also gave the rear brake plate a spruce up with some black paint

DiscGuard.jpg

And onto the passengers side....

P20-01-11_13-53.jpg

P20-01-11_13-531.jpg

P20-01-11_13-532.jpg

And my FUBAR shocks, love the way this was crumbling into my hands!

P20-01-11_14-00.jpg

Next up shocks and springs :detective:

nice work mate, should keep the pesky rust at bay for a year or two :yes: but unless that cars been parked up for a few months and never driven those rear calipers are seized :(

I believe that it had been sitting for a few months before I brought it, They didnt mention anything on the service though about it and it did go onto the rollers at my request. New discs and pads will be on order as soon as I get paid and the suspension side of things is sorted, it rides like a bag of shit at the rear at the moment and I hate it.

Slowly getting there with it now, I think there is a nice GTI under all these problems somewhere. (I Hope!)

mint work pal, a job well worth doing. rear wiper arm looks better than new. possibly if the rear shocks are not leaking, they should be fine. its only the replace-able rubber boot thats had it.

it's just the lack of a clean contact area on the discs that's a giveaway :(

and seeing how clean you got your mk4 i'm sure this mera will be a stunner when your done :cool:

Cheers for the comments guys, It seems to be braking at the rear as there is dust rather than rust forming on the alloys so there is some kind of movement there, but alas I will be buying new discs and pads for it as it makes sense to get everything done and then not have to worry about it for a wee while plus is also has the factor of looking better when its new and gleaming.

Shocks appear to be leeking aswell as under the boot these is a fair bit of caked on gunge and grot and the re-bound on them is quite comical even if you push the car down from the back.

Not sure what colour to do the calipers though as they do need a lick of paint, I guess alot of people go with red but not really sure if it'd suit a sliver car with planned dark colour wheels? Opinions people..

Found a place locally to me also that is resonable with wheel refurbishment so I will be getting the standard GTI wheels re-furbished and powdercoated in Ford Graphite Grey with a cut and polished lip until I can save up enough reddies for a nice set of aftermarket wheels.

Thats all for now folks
Mike

Hmmmm a nice bright purple or maybe even just black caliper IMO. Think it might be damienga15de who has his done purple on standard alloys. Same with his K11 Micra lol

DSC00320-1.jpg

Actually the purple would work I'd have thought, was going to hammerite them black from the paint I had left from doing some bits on the Cortina but the paint had set. Fail!

Actually before I forget something has been bugging me since I got the car, Is it supposed to have a Courtesy light come on when driver and or passenger doors are open in the dark? I know it has the small button to activate manually but that is it? Is there a switch up there that needs to be in a certain position or something. The bulb is working on the manual switch by the way

(This could be a really stupid I am not looking properly post and if so I am ashamed!) :chinese:

Yes, the light should come one when you open the doors. It's in the middle of the roof and I believe the switch should point towards the passenger door.

Actually before I forget something has been bugging me since I got the car, Is it supposed to have a Courtesy light come on when driver and or passenger doors are open in the dark? I know it has the small button to activate manually but that is it? Is there a switch up there that needs to be in a certain position or something. The bulb is working on the manual switch by the way

(This could be a really stupid I am not looking properly post and if so I am ashamed!) :chinese:

yeah the "map" light on the sunroof control panel doesnt come on, just the one in the middle as Spyke said.

It's in the middle of the roof and I believe the switch should point towards the passenger door.

Close ;) ...

Middle= On when doors open
Passanger= On full stop
Driver= Off full stop

Tip take out the fuse when replacing the 31mm festoon bulb as it new bulb can blow when installed otherwise :lol:

Sweet ride, good work on the undersealing

I knew it would be something simple, to be honest I havent even looked up there at the control switches I just thought last night I really must ask about this, Super Newbie behaviour!

I will be undersealing the front next, getting the splash sheilds off will hopefully not un-earth horrors!

Been doing a few more jobs since last time around, first up added this little wobbly headed fellow...

P22-01-11_16-08.jpg

Sized up that I will need some serious time set aside to clean the engine bay properley..

P30-01-11_13-343-1.jpg

P30-01-11_13-342-1.jpg

P30-01-11_13-341-1.jpg

And found some bits of rust I want to get rubbed down and painted back to Silver again as this sucks,

P30-01-11_13-34-1.jpg

Missus also brought me a new numberplate which I test fitted today (plates not been changed yet still waiting on the DVLA!)

Held on with double sided tape over the dirty stuff, which took about an hour to remove!

P30-01-11_14-26-1.jpg

P30-01-11_14-262-1.jpg

Cleaned the area up

P30-01-11_15-17-1.jpg

And tried again for full clean effect..

P30-01-11_15-20-1.jpg

P30-01-11_15-201.jpg

Its slightly smaller than I wanted, so will be getting a 16 X 3.5'' one made up soon.

Back
Top Bottom