Cortinamike77's GTi

• Thread starter Thread starter Cortinamike77
  • Start date Start date
the hardest bit, well not hard but timely is rear seats out and removing the support plates that cover the rear suspension struts in the boot. The rest from underneath couldn’t be easier.

If you aren't using power/air tools then soak the bottom bolts on the front and especially the rears in wd40 / penetrating fluid overnight. If they've never been hit they could be a bit tight but mostly it's an easy job.

As david says, gettin the support plates off can be a bit of an arse in the boot. Take it easy on them or you're gonna end up with lots of bolts broken in the body - no bad thing, just a pain.

Right need to order those shocks sooner rather than later, Just to confirm these are the fella's I require...?

http://www.buypartsby.co.uk/gas-shocks.php?recordID=164

Are they a pig to fit? On Renaults they were easy but with these I havent a clue!

Mike

yep they're the ones, and amen about the rear bottom bolts!

To get the rear seats out, flip up the bottom bench, flatten the backs, you will see the bolts under a flap of material where they split and also in the same position on the ends.

Sweet, doesnt sound to much of an arse, guy checked the bushes on the service and said they were fine so must have been the shocks, rear end is terrible.

Cheers for the help guys

Easy way to undo the bottom bolts is to have the car on axle stands and jack up the ratchet spanner with the trolley jack, with a normal/ring spanner on the other end against the beam. This way the weight of the car does all the hard work for you.

Had the front brakes sorted this weekend, new discs and pads now fitted which means it stops now! No more shuddering through the peddal or wheel which was quite frankly a pain in the arse!

Also treated it to a new set of front wipers and ice white rear numberplate bulbs. Found that one of the bulb carriers had a bent prong inside which was stopping the connectors making contact and actually allowing illumination :) Some before and afters below.

Before:

P07-01-11_19-25-1.jpg

After:

P16-01-11_18-59.jpg

P16-01-11_19-00.jpg

Manged to fix some flapping spash shield plastics today aswell which had been bugging me, passengers side was hanging free from what i could gather, finding more bits to fix every time I go and do little jobs. Not a bad thing i guess it's comming back to full health. Also had my matts arrive from eBay aswell so we now have carpeted goodies.

Next up rear shocks and lowering springs, I have opted for the -35mm kit from Apex has anyone run that set up before?

Mike

had the apex 35mm springs on my old gti, still going strong now, decent ride too on stock dampers :)

Do you have any pictures of it mate? So I can get an idea of stance and stuff.

Mike

Works out that those deflectors are quite expensive with shipping on top so that'll wait until after payday now. Have however ordered some underseal to sort out the rear arches next week and some primer and gloss black for the rear wiper arm which is corroded. Just need to pray for some dry weather next weekend.

Works out that those deflectors are quite expensive with shipping on top so that'll wait until after payday now. Have however ordered some underseal to sort out the rear arches next week and some primer and gloss black for the rear wiper arm which is corroded. Just need to pray for some dry weather next weekend.

cheaper on ebay.

Well they chuck another £17.99 on for delivery and then £9.70 VAT at 19% must be the German rate I Guess? So it works out about £47 quid odd I belive

Thats a bit expensive. Think i got mine for around £20 off here. Just be patient someone will sell them soon enough. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom