Curtis' GTI

JWT S3Rs

I have a afpr upstairs will pop out and fit when it stop bloody raining! lol

Disconnected the battery as well, so will have to reconnect and see if resetting the ECU makes a difference

Eddie: Where abouts is it?

Now i've reset the ecu, its a tiny bit better...but again needs a remap i think..advanced the timing further more, but it jumps about a bit which is gay!

Sam: Yes that is TDC hence the chain slack and the inlet dowl at 10 O'clock and exhaust at 12 O'clock (cant see that but it is)

Yes corbs 10x easier lol

Dave: Doubt its as lumpy as the Tomei's but i'll try and get one soonish!

ooh by the way well done curtis - i wanna see your motor!!

After completing a soul crushing 200miles not going above 4k. I dialled my timing to 15* which is stock, then removed the negative terminal of the battery for 20mins. When I reconnected it, let the car naturally find idle and set to 850rpm if need be. Sprinted drive for 10mins to help learn the ecu the new amounts of air/fuel going in and out of the engine. Then the following week or so dialled the ignition advance to 17* most likely not book spec however I doubt book spec took into consider ration 260’+ cams lol

After the ecu reset it flu, felt noticeably quicker.

was just wondering as the cam lobes on cylinder one should be pointing away from each other....

Now i've reset the ecu, its a tiny bit better...but again needs a remap i think..advanced the timing further more, but it jumps about a bit which is gay!

Sam: Yes that is TDC hence the chain slack and the inlet dowl at 10 O'clock and exhaust at 12 O'clock (cant see that but it is)

Yes corbs 10x easier lol

Dave: Doubt its as lumpy as the Tomei's but i'll try and get one soonish!

How did you set the car to TDC??
If it was done purely on the cam dowel positions, it was most likely NOT at TDC.. as your forgetting there is two revolutions of the crank for every ONE revolution of the cams..
Without a screwdriver down the spark plug hole, or unless you know the engine well, you won't know if its at TDC or not.
Joe

This is TDC in my engine...

05032009155.jpg

Joe

EDIT!!! Just looked at my pics again more closely, neither is at TDC, the first picture was after i had turned it over using the wrench a couple of times... so doubt it was TDC again

Second pic is the inlet at 12 o'clock, so i would have turned it around slightly to match a 10 o'clock position..

That is TDC in mine...The crank was alligned with the white mark on the crank pully and the cams were at the correct dowel positions..intake = 10 o'clock, exhaust = 12 o'clock

100% Sure, it works so must have been right..

my guess is with those cams, the cyl 1 inlet and exhaust valves should be open about 1mm @ tdc (ie, 2mm of overlap, and stock cams are usually around zero overlap)

frank

Back
Top Bottom