Love my Almera but lack of music annoying!

Hello all,

Complete newbie here (and to forums in general). Driven all sorts over the years but needed a cheap diesel last year and my grandfather recommended an Almera (yes, i know!). Went out and got a 2003 2.2 DCI. Absolutely superb machine. A real joy on A roads! It's quick, reliable and comfortable. What more can you ask for for 1200 quid!

My issue is the damn cd players. I've looked around on here and it seems to be an issue. When i bought the car there was already a cd jammed into the standard head unit up front but this wasn't too much of an issue as i had the 6 disc changer up back. Recently, that has started to play up and as all my music is mp3 these days, i wonder if someone with the right knowledge can help me out.

Ideally, i'd like to swap out the changer at front for an aftermarket unit with an aux fitting. I'm handy enough (just) to do things myself with a good guide and realise i would need to do some soldering somewhere along the way.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Type of head unit i need to buy etc?

My dash is the one without the sat nav.

Regards
Greg

Use fm transmitter... thats what i use, i dont use cd as i am playing music through my phone or through usb. Hope this will help.

You can always use a fascia (arround (25~30€) and install a new radio with mp3 from flash drive or SD card...
That's what i'm gonna do when my volume up/down keys finally stop working...

Thanks for the replies. EdisonP- I tried an fm transmitter but found it patchy to be honest. Foxalhao- Do you mean there is a aftermarket fascia i can buy which will suit the dash? If so, do you have a link possibly? Will the connections fit nicely into an aftermarket head unit as i don't have a sat nav on there?

For clarification, this is what the dash looks like

Attachments

• NissanAlmeraHatchbackNew115279200215391.jpg
    NissanAlmeraHatchbackNew115279200215391.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 39
Hi there, I also wanted to play mp3 and after a fair bit of research went for the Grom Unit with Bluetooth, works well and easy to fit.

Hi there, I also wanted to play mp3 and after a fair bit of research went for the Grom Unit with Bluetooth, works well and easy to fit.
Thanks ever so much. Just had a look around and i think that's the one for me. It's cheaper than the after market head units i was looking at too!

As a point of interest, i've been looking at the BT3 one but would it make sense to go for one with a cable so i can also charge phone?

Glad you have found what your looking for, the one I bought was the GROM-USB2P with Bluetooth. I mounted it on top of the stereo with double sided and ran the cable for the microphone up behind the nearside door pillar over to the sun glasses holder letting it protrude from the front edge. works well there as its away from the windows. If I can help in any way please message me. The guy that I have spoken to at Carputer-Shop is Richard he has always been more then helpful.

Thanks Peter. I was thinking of mounting it in the slot under the radio where the sat nav drive would go if i'd had one. This means it will be accessible should i ever need it (firmware update etc.). The routing for the microphone sounds good. I was scratching my head about where i'd put it. Not sure of the length of lead till it turns up. Can you still use the sunglasses holder for its original purpose?

Hi, yes what I did was take the sunglasses holder out make a very small notch in the roof lining on the front edge just enough so that the cable doesn't get trapped put the glasses holder back in and stick the mic to the lining so the mic points towards you. The standard lead is plenty long enough. The only reason I went for the USB2P was for the ability to use a USB dongle to play MP3 and also any firmware updates, which is why I positioned the unit on top of the CD.

If you need a pic of the mic positioning I can take one tomorrow if you want, it might explain it a bit easier.

If you want another option check out the parrot 9100k it has Bluetooth and use plus iPod connection works well and is an easy install behind everything apart from the screen & control unit.

Sent from my  iPhone[emoji768] using Tapatalk

Hi Peter. Thanks for uploading the pics of how you mounted it. I've been moving home so didn't have chance to fit Grom until today. Problem... The Nissan lead doesn't seem to be compatible with my head unit despite the serial number not being on their non-compatible list! I'll be giving carputer shop a message about this on Monday. Thanks for all the help.

Back
Top Bottom