Mapper Database

before committing to anything speak to Jez and see if you can get your standard GTi ecu sorted, which you should be able to, and then decide what to do...

the type 3 chip should go onto a gti ecu... he has mapped them before all you would need is something to switch the cams....

VE ecu cant have Nistune fitted iirc

Quick Update

before committing to anything speak to Jez and see if you can get your standard GTi ecu sorted, which you should be able to, and then decide what to do...
Did thanks, results below

why cant he Nistune your GTi ECU? they are compatible.
Misunderstanding, he can with the GTi ECU, he thought I was running a VE ECU which he can't

jfyi there's an sr16ve vz-r ecu on npoc for €150 :/
Thanks but I don't want to go back on myself

the type 3 chip should go onto a gti ecu... he has mapped them before all you would need is something to switch the cams....

VE ecu cant have Nistune fitted iirc
I have a GReddy wired in already, not sure about which type is best and which ones they're offering.

Here's the choices;

OPTION 1: I have no annual leave left from work so I'm not sure how I'll accept this one.

Company Name: Horsham Developments
Name of mapper: Jez
Time taken to install: One Day
Coverage area: Workshop (just off J13 of the M4, near Newbury) and then use Surrey Rolling Road for the dyno time
Price/Charges: H-Dev ECU upgrade board and mapping using Nistune software: £349.99
Nistune board and mapping using Nistune software: £524.98
ECU board fitting: £24.99
Dyno time: £89.99
ECU Type: H-Dev ECU upgrade board/Nistune board
Happy with work: Don't know yet
Extra information: "The Greddy MSS should work fine"... "We can only do week days during normal office hours I'm afraid"

OPTION 2: More expensive but more convenient.

Company Name: FC Tuning
Name of mapper: Steve
Time taken to install: 1 Hour
Coverage area: Hayes Engineering, East London, Erith (in the middle of nowhere)
Price/Charges: £420 supplied fitted n mapped plus dyno time @ 75 per hour
ECU Type: Nistune
Happy with work: Don't know yet
Extra information: "I can easily get you setup and the good thing us DEs are a straight forward process"... "It can be done in a heart beat. Easy peasy, as you naturally have the controller already fitted switching the cams.". "I can work weekends and the 11th is fine".

Why not just fit the DE ECU & Injectors and just leave it at that for winer.
This whole remap thing is causing you a ballache I can tell.
If you just fitted the DE Injectors it'd run a lot better (no over-fuelling).
Then you can worry about a Remap whenever you've found somewhere suitable/made up your mind in the new year.
Joe

so hang on, this is a 20ve with a de ecu and ve injectors??!!!

WOW, mine was overfuelling like hell with de injectors let alone the ve ones. I would barely be driving it without mappin let alone on those.

100% fit the de injectors mate. no wonder it's been runnin bad

It was last thing I read... I have mentioned this before tbh.
IMO a stock 20VE should run OK with DE ECU & Injectors?
Joe

hmm, mine was as rich as fook. however, mine was on a sunny de ecu which being that crapy little maf and highport was probably dumping fuel in excess to make up for all the extra air being sucked in.

it ran ok-ish, but that was with the compression, bigger cams, and being run in.

how's it run atm mike? what ecu and injectors are in aatm?

Why not just fit the DE ECU & Injectors and just leave it at that for winer.
This whole remap thing is causing you a ballache I can tell.
If you just fitted the DE Injectors it'd run a lot better (no over-fuelling).
Then you can worry about a Remap whenever you've found somewhere suitable/made up your mind in the new year.
Joe
Ballache Big Time Bud but I'm also fed up with peeps taking the piss plus I have the money now and can see it getting more expensive next year.

so hang on, this is a 20ve with a de ecu and ve injectors??!!!

WOW, mine was overfuelling like hell with de injectors let alone the ve ones. I would barely be driving it without mappin let alone on those.

100% fit the de injectors mate. no wonder it's been runnin bad
Yes, 20VE with 333cc injectors, dual FPR, VE MAF, VE TB running on a DE fuel pump and ECU in fact everything from the flywheel out is DE, all else is VE. Couldn't get the injectors off the fuel rail so I didn't bother changing them.

hmm, mine was as rich as fook. however, mine was on a sunny de ecu which being that crapy little maf and highport was probably dumping fuel in excess to make up for all the extra air being sucked in.

it ran ok-ish, but that was with the compression, bigger cams, and being run in.

how's it run atm mike? what ecu and injectors are in aatm?
Runs terrible, idles bad, starts up bad, need oil in every few months (no leaks anywhere in the engine - so I don't know where it goes), struggles to get more than 330 miles to one tank. When the cams switch I can notice the difference but it doesn't pull as it should.

Right now, between Ed, Steve and Jez, I'm likely to go with Steve as I simply can't get any time off work.

woah, ve maf too???

jesus no wonder, the afr's will be all over the show.

if i were you, if you're goin to drive it for anything more than a couple of miles more get the de injectors and maf in, NOW lol

that'll be why the idle, start up is bad, fuel economy etc. Furthermore, all the excess fuel will be washing your bores and diluting oil, makin it thinner and therefore easier to pass your rings and burn off. Not to mention, the excess wear on the rings with the oil being diluted too, and the lower octane level increasing chance of pinking.

If you can get to mappin without really driving it, leave it as it is, if not either avoid driving it or change the de stuff mate.

As for tuners, some knock jez and his n/a tuning, but i'm very happy with it on my ve. If surrey rolling road gives you low figures than you'd expect don't worry it seems to be that dyno's way.

Alternatively from what i hear steve is very good on des so worth a try, and ed again seems ok.

To be honest, any of the 3 will be a million times better than it running as it is, god when i think what mine was like runnin on the de injectors and maf before mapping it was awful compared, i can't imagine what yours is like lol

mike bring it over to redline tuning and they will sort you out, :)

i cant belive your not considering this!
£450 all done! his very good, ive got 2 cars both mapped by them.

i can get you booked in for 2 week time, and im off from the 17th dec to the 5/6th jan so i can help you out getting it sorted :)

i can get you booking in in the next 2 weeks :)

Cheers, I’ll give him a call later.

Right after a numerous e-mails to Steve and one really long phone call I’m back to square one. I’m very keen to get it done at FCtuning and Steve’s free in December however, I cannot afford his rates (over £425).

The confusing thing is that he cannot use my GTi ECU and that it would’ve been easier to use an eManage (sold earlier this year) or a VE ECU (sold last week), really wish I never sold them and now I’m faced with having to source another different SR20DE ECU from Oz(another £250 just to attain)?!?!

Do I get one tuner to install it and pay another £300 for a remap with FC or do I stay with FC and risk the cost spiralling to £700/£800+. One thing’s for sure, I’m gonna cry if I end up spending the same for a standalone! Suggestions anyone?

Hi Mike,

I would have a chat with this guy before you do anything.
http://www.neovvl.co.uk/community/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1840
He more or less has the same set up in his Primera as you and has just been to Steve at fc with results.
Good luck.
Why don't you try a standalone? If you got deep pockets, vi pec, etc.
I am sure our wiring looms are getting tired and old now, just chuck it all out rewire with the new ecu and off you go.
I have the ecu pinouts if you need for the sr20ve/ sr20de and sr2016ve to work with the ecu you require etc aem/ vipec.
You can also chuck the maf in the bin as these babies will not need it, map sensors.
Run launch/ traction control. Add a bit of Nos wee.
Control vvl, no need for the mss, control rpm, fuel, rpm limits, throttle control.

p.s he has also found a Nistune ve ecu map data i believe.

Hi Mike,

I would have a chat with this guy before you do anything.
http://www.neovvl.co.uk/community/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1840
He more or less has the same set up in his Primera as you and has just been to Steve at fc with results.
Good luck.
Why don't you try a standalone? If you got deep pockets, vi pec, etc.
I am sure our wiring looms are getting tired and old now, just chuck it all out rewire with the new ecu and off you go.
I have the ecu pinouts if you need for the sr20ve/ sr20de and sr2016ve to work with the ecu you require etc aem/ vipec.
You can also chuck the maf in the bin as these babies will not need it, map sensors.
Run launch/ traction control. Add a bit of Nos wee.
Control vvl, no need for the mss, control rpm, fuel, rpm limits, throttle control.

p.s he has also found a Nistune ve ecu map data i believe.

don't think he wants to go there, as he has already stated he doesn't want to go back to a VE ecu, and its not exactly a simple thing that Laurens is doing, he already spent £500 + with on that tune up you mention and car is still not ideal, cause of no cam switching ability...

I'd also leave the maf injectors etc as they are, they may be running rich low down, but under high cams, if you go the DE way you will end up going mega lean

your options as I see them are going Nistune or H-Dev board, if ya wanna go Nistune Steve will be cheaper, and if you are lucky you maybe able to persuade him to come down to SRR to get map your car..

if ya wanna go with the H-dev board, it could well save ya time, if ya have a spare GTI ecu...(plenty about am sure you should be able to get one cheap) you could post that to him and get the board already installed on it, and then just swap em when ya go there, save ya time etc..

I'd also leave the maf injectors etc as they are, they may be running rich low down, but under high cams, if you go the DE way you will end up going mega lean

hmmm, i think the point is to not use the big cams at all until mapped, although i think it's a few years too late for that in mike's case lol

i'd put the de ones in for now, drive very little, on low lobes until mappin.

bore wash isn't good!

hmmm, i think the point is to not use the big cams at all until mapped, although i think it's a few years too late for that in mike's case lol

i'd put the de ones in for now, drive very little, on low lobes until mappin.

bore wash isn't good!

aye agree....ideally as he is now, wouldn't drive it at all, before getting it mapped...lol

Just had another thought, though it would mean getting H-Dev board. If you can afford to not drive your car for a couple of days, get your ecu out and post it to him and get him to stick his board in, and the map he has for my car...(assuming your mods are similar to mine) that way you should be able to drive it around with a better map on it, and can afford to wait till next year to a proper dyno tune...just another option...

craiGTi: When I was running on the DE MAF and DE TB it was much worse, it was cutting out at times and strangled at the top end.

stufagti: Only if they’ll do a Nistune, 2 weeks is too long (I’m inpatient now) and am going to pick one next week in time for Nunny.

Nos Sunny Gti: I’m not made of money and if money can be saved I’ll endeavour to acquire it, hence, why I didn’t sell you the whole loom when you only needed 6 wires. That thread on neovvl.co.uk didn’t tell me anything new, only a MoTeC ditches the MAF and removing the MSS is a step backwards in my opinion. I have the pin diagrams and wire labels already but thanks for the help.

ragt20: Already tried persuading Steve to come to SRR but he won’t budge and he’s in a position to refuse as he doesn’t need my business and being well established and successful already can negotiate his own terms. I also opted to send my ECU to Jez but he wants the whole car saying that he wants to make sure it’s done right.

Psycho_Eddie: It's a case of couldn't than wouldn't but you're right, I saw the light 5 years ago, just never had the opportunity.

Just for the record, in case anybody else asks.

I don’t want to wait until next year
I don’t want to pay for a standalone
This must be done before Nunny or I’ll never get it done at all

The reason this has taken me so long is because responsibilities have taken the priority and I’ve never had the time or resources to do it until now. I bought a house, I pay my own bills, I’m still paying my student debt accumulated since University, I paid for my own wedding without borrowing money from anybody, I have a demanding wife, three kids, commuting costs through the roof, every time I take my family on holiday it costs me £3k+, I’ve never paid anybody to do jobs that I can do myself, I have a demanding job and I manage most of my family’s finances and legal issues.... no time, no time, no time, money, money, money.

I’m going Nistune and paying the whole a lot in one go.

Back
Top Bottom