My 'mera GX 1.6

well cam is in. RESULT

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPHR-GlhdOc"]YouTube- GA16 Camshafts, first start[/ame]

bit of a mishap on first startup, i had folded the throttle cable under the induction kit and it made it rev to 5k on startup.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BISu2r_oOTc&feature=channel"]YouTube- GA16 Cammed, second startup[/ame]

second startup went a lot better.

took it for a drive to chris's, which was exactly the 50 miles that i needed to run the cam in at under 4k and then bombed it from the motorway to my house.

its quick. no bullshit, it shifts, rapidly

Would be interesting and useful to get another RR power run readout to see what sort of gains on paper this intake cam regrind gives.

Good stuff none the less.

Would be interesting and useful to get another RR power run readout to see what sort of gains on paper this intake cam regrind gives.

Good stuff none the less.

id imagine it would make more power top end, but there is no doubt it has smoothed out the rest, its probably made a blanket gain throughout the whole rev range.

people on ga forum state that every mod you do to a ga basically wont give you huge top end gains, but you will increase the area under the graph which is what makes them quick even when they have a quoted "115bhp" or similar.

gonna get the exhaust cam done soon it would be criminal not to.

the only mishap i had when fittin is the chain tensioner decided to take up the slack when i was trying to fit the cam into the sprocket, so out it came

did the valve clearances turn out alright ross ?

frank

yeah frank, i used 8 shims at 2.5mm thick, so i basically just put back what geoff took off the base circle.

fortunately aldi were selling a bench grinder today which tied in nicely with me needing one :D

gonna get the exhaust cam done soon it would be criminal not to.

i think you would be disappointed personally (but i,ll stand corrected if proven wrong)
a 2mm headskim and 4kg flywheel is a lot of work, but can be cheap (my 3mm skim was £25 and f/w lightening is £50 ish eh).
but those 3 mods (inlet cam, 11:1 c/r and f/w) would knock 1.5 secs off your 1/4 mile imo

frank

the only thing stopping me from doing the flywheel just now is the hassle of taking the gearbox off.

its a laborous job which i dont wanna do unless i have to.

so when i can afford an XTD stage 4 clutch i will do the fly and clutch together

also frank,

the GA JWT cams totted up some good power gains, yet the intake cam was almost the same as stock, so there must be gains to be had from the exhaust side

the only mishap i had when fittin is the chain tensioner decided to take up the slack when i was trying to fit the cam into the sprocket, so out it came

did you have to wind back the ratchet/spring on the tensioner btw ross ?
because i had to on mine but did,nt release it properly at first, and it was working on oil pressure only, (ie, without the spring assistance) and this caused a slack chain on startup (till the oil pressure built up)

frank

did you have to wind back the ratchet/spring on the tensioner btw ross ?
because i had to on mine but did,nt release it properly at first, and it was working on oil pressure only, (ie, without the spring assistance) and this caused a slack chain on startup (till the oil pressure built up)

frank

i took the tensioner for the top chain out and retracted it, put a pin in, lined up the cams, fitted the tensioner and removed the pin. when turning over manually it took up the tiny amount of slack in the chain.

(dunno if micra engines have one chain or two)

i took the tensioner for the top chain out and retracted it, put a pin in, lined up the cams, fitted the tensioner and removed the pin. when turning over manually it took up the tiny amount of slack in the chain.

(dunno if micra engines have one chain or two)

yeh, pretty much the same as yours i believe ross
http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/7167/pict0188u.jpg
you can probably safely advance your ignition timing a tad now eh (with the slight compression drop from the extra duration)

frank

yeah thats the same, i removed the top tensioner to help align the cams up.

i may do that, i set it back to stock 10* yesterday

Back
Top Bottom