N15 Pickup: Research

I'm sure by the time it gets to worrying about seatbelt mounts there will be enough extra structural material in place to safely mount the belts somewhere in line with the B post or even stick some harnesses in and floor mount them.

you start to lose a lot of the bed when you use a 3 door. the seatbelts are further back than the B pillar which makes sealing the cabin a nightmare.

its definately not a job you wanna "learn" to weld and fabricate on... its a real pig.

You're right Ross, I'd definately want to cut my teeth on easier jobs, patch repairs etc, leave the heavier stuff to someone more experienced especially where safety is concerned.
I know you've looked into it too... in fact the saloon probably is the best base to build from.
I did at one point think of 5-doors, using the rearmost section of roof and bootlid to form the back window (With spoiler) but the bootlid actually covers way more space than I thought, the load bay would end up being smaller than the 3 door version! And pickups with backwards slanting doors look strange.
I'm sure there is a way to do it that looks good, is safe, and offers most loadbed for buck.

You're right Ross, I'd definately want to cut my teeth on easier jobs, patch repairs etc, leave the heavier stuff to someone more experienced especially where safety is concerned.
I know you've looked into it too... in fact the saloon probably is the best base to build from.
I did at one point think of 5-doors, using the rearmost section of roof and bootlid to form the back window (With spoiler) but the bootlid actually covers way more space than I thought, the load bay would end up being smaller than the 3 door version! And pickups with backwards slanting doors look strange.
I'm sure there is a way to do it that looks good, is safe, and offers most loadbed for buck.

dont get me wrong, a 3 door is the best choice, we really looked into it and in the end we decided the time wasnt right for a project as money was more important to us.

its not over :p

He's taken up a lot of space in the bed by lining it. I'm sure it can be done with a bit more finesse than that. Not a bad effort though. I keep seeing 5 doors and saloons for auction on the salvage sites going for like £80. Some if them only need a new wing and repaired bumper or a rear panel. Be interesting project.

The more I think, the more it's got to be a 'loon

34358585.jpg

81025901.jpg

who cares about the boot space the 3 door is bloody awsome

Again, done wrong! I don't know why people follow the line of the door, it looks stupid! Mind you so does that car.

What just like you've done on that chop?

Nope, on the chop I've followed the line of the rear window, slopes the opposite way (GTi doors slope the right way anyway). The top line needs to be further forward than the bottom one, unlike on that N16 where the bottom is further forward than the top.

you need the back to look like this
''''''''''______
___//-------/\_____
[o]-----------[o]----

rather than
''''''''''_______
___//-------//_____
[o]------------[o]----

Back
Top Bottom