R

recomdos

hello all!

I've always loved almera's but they've always been a bit out of my price range. Anyway I am now considering buying a 2.0 Gti, and this looks like a GREAT place to find out some info and make some new buddies along the way!

I was just hoping to view a few more pics of what people have done to their cars and also find out what tweaks can be done to make it a bit quicker than the average almera on the street.

Obviously all in good time - need to get one first!

I really like the light blue ones, does any one have any pics of a light blue on big wheels.

Ok, that's all for now guys and gals.

Cheers

Check the members Rides section for all the pics you'll need mate :)

performance wise, already a quick car... and a bit quicker with exhaust , manifold , air induction... etc the usual stuff. Although you'll probably find ur quicker than most other almeras even if you kept ur car stock since there aint many GTi's floating about

Hi Gynx!

thanx very much for the reply! :D

right, so what performance gains would I be getting with them sort of mods? what is the standard bhp?

I'm off to look for them pics!

Cheers! :)

134bhp at stock , about 150 give or take a few with a decent air induction , cat back system & header.

Whatever you do , dont get it chipped. Will gain a few brake if that... may be worth while at a later date with more beefy mods

right...I thought they were around 150 brake standard?....hmmmm...so what's the worries/concerns with a chip? do they not get good reviews? what gains would a chip give?

What's a 'header'? And that sounds like good bhp gains from an induction kit, and exhaust! :D

What are the brakes like? Are they worth considering a brake upgrade?

I hear they do handle FANTASTICALLY!

I'm sure I'm gonna have LOTS of questions for you guys! lol. so take it easy on me! :p

Brakes aint that great , neithers the clutch.

Aint 150 as far as im aware

The Header is just the yankee term for Exhaust manifold. HotShot , SSAutochrome , OBX & Weapon R all do one aswell as a few other companys. Hotshot being the most expensive , but also giving the most gains.

Was a post a while back regarding Air filters although the tests was done on a Focus or summin. But the Ractive came out with the biggest Torque increase or summin like that.

As for handling.. , Lowering Springs (Or coil overs if youve got deep pockets) + 17" Wheels while slowin you down a bit , will make the car handle like a Go Kart :)

Gynx - ur FAST at replyin man! lol

ok ok....I get the header bit now :) cool! Will have to search around the companies and get an idea of prices.

so what's teh difference between just srpings and coilovers? (asides from price - which I kind of gathered - lol) wheels are a DEFO! I want some big assed wheels, however I am starting to like teh 'euro' look...but they cost soooo much! and I think some big wheels with 'straight lines' will suit teh almera better :D will it take 18's or 19's, or is 17 the max?

also you never said about why not to chip it? how much bhp would it gain?

lol - a question I can't believe I forgot, what's an average mpg scenario? Obviously we all drive with different styles, but usually I am very conservative, so would be hoping to get some decent mpg! :D

p.s. am I asking all these questions in the right area?

Springs are well.... just smaller springs that stock. No lighter , just tighter together. They'll stiffen the car & by lowering the center of gravity , increase handling performance..

Coils are basicly the Daddy lol.... Height Adjustable & usually go alot lower than the only springs availible (40mm drop). Lots of adjustin availible on coils to make handling even better. Mixed with Strut braces and enough height drop , you'd make the car very hard to skid out.

You can go upto 19" without Archwork.. although if you did buy coilovers & went for the full drop approach , you'd probably need archwork done for 19's. Remember with that though , bigger the wheels... less rubber & Air , more Steel/Aluminium. Not generally a good thing.

A chipped ECU will just re-adjust settings in the ECU to whatever the setup is. If its Stock when you chip , ur gonna get about 1 or 2 bhp lol. Get the Whole Exhaust setup , beefed up fueling , cams etc & it will give more gains. Or... you can go for something like GReddy emanage which is a Fuel managment system. It basicly just convinces the ECU of false truths , which in turn causes the ECU to inject more fuel giving greater performance. To my understanding anyway

MPG.... Aint got a clue mate , I only drive a 1.4 SI lol

Dont see why not for the area & im replying fast cos im bored shitless , and cant sleep cos im excited about buying a new car 2morro :D

right...well I wasn't aware of the low gains from JUST a chip, but with all the other tweaks, it may very well be worthwhile like u say down the line in the future! I ain't even picked one yet, so need to stop getting carried away! lol though I guess it's like anything, ya wanna know what can be done eventually if ya have some spare money lying around (that NEVER happens with me though sadly lol)

so what is it like to the other hot hatches in it's class? I'm guessing the likes of Saxo VTS, Punto GT?...can't think of the others....my mind is going blank after all the xmas toxications lol..what about an Audi A3 T? how would it cope against one of them?

I'm a bit bored and don';t want to goto bed, happy looking at pics of almeras! hehehe - so what car are you picking up tomoz then? is it another Almera? I'm pretty excited for ya too! lol :cool:

As before , ive only got a 1.4 so aint used many GTi's for a decent period of time. Id imagin the Punto & Saxo VTS are both quicker off the mark , but once reaching about 4000 in 3rd , the almera will pull away just for the fact its bigger & more powerful. Duno owt about Audis so god knows... mind if there anything like the A4's you might beat one off the mark but they can do some impressive motorway speeds.

Im pickin up a JDM 1.6 VTi Honda Del Sol, a Almera GTi woulda been a fair whack cheaper , not to buy but to insure. However im after pure performance from the most un-efficient car i can find. A 1.6 160BHP VTEC 2 seater electric convertible comes in that bracket for me

Gynx said:
Im pickin up a JDM 1.6 VTi Honda Del Sol

Coooooool!!!! Does this mean ur leaving the Almera Club then? :( I like hondas too - and by the sounds of things that should be a nippy lil bugga! heh

B16A DOHC VTEC engine , 160Horses & rather large Redline at 8200. Wont be leaving the almera club as im keeping the almera aswell for winters.

At Stock , 0-60 in 7.3 Secs & does the 1/4 run in 15.20-40 secs

recomdos said:
lol - a question I can't believe I forgot, what's an average mpg scenario? Obviously we all drive with different styles, but usually I am very conservative, so would be hoping to get some decent mpg! :D

I think the MPG is quoted at about 35 for the GTi but obviously that would vary depending on your driving style.

The SRi is nearer 40 I believe but I only get about 28 from mine but then most of my driving is done in stop/start rush hour traffic and I do relativly short journeys which doesn't really help I don't expect. Get nearer 35-40 on long runs/motorway driving though.

Click here for some more info on the Techincal Specs of the car from the Parkers web site.

if you get a gti, get a phase 2 (Late R reg onwards) You wont regret it, with additions such as white dials, a nicer bodykit, facelifted rear lights and crystaline front lights and indicators you cant fall off....not to mention the phase 2 blue colour.....gorgeous!

Gynx said:
134bhp at stock , about 150 give or take a few with a decent air induction , cat back system & header.

Whatever you do , dont get it chipped. Will gain a few brake if that... may be worth while at a later date with more beefy mods

Dont u mean 143BHP?

Hi welcome to the club fella :D
141-143 is the standard BHP
got mine runing at about 156BHP & just under 140lbs of torque with just an zorst, filter & FSE. if you wanna see a light blue one on big wheels (18") check the link in my sig below ;)
if your worried about a performance drop with bigger wheels you do get a little on a GTi more so on the smaller engines but go for the light weight rims out there if its an issue

GTi said:
Hi welcome to the club fella :D
141-143 is the standard BHP
got mine runing at about 156BHP & just under 140lbs of torque with just an zorst, filter & FSE. if you wanna see a light blue one on big wheels (18") check the link in my sig below ;)
if your worried about a performance drop with bigger wheels you do get a little on a GTi more so on the smaller engines but go for the light weight rims out there if its an issue

Mick that car is FANTASTIC!!!!! Pretty much what I want exactly! (Not sure about a bonnet scoop for me though) does the high level brake light come as standard as I'm liking that!! So I'm guessing for a set of wheels, filter and FSE you're talking roughly a grand? dependant of quality of goods of course. What rubber are you running?

I also love the window tints - how much did that all cost? Looks like you've spent a lot of time/effort and money on ya car there mate - very good indeed! :D

So what cars give you a 'go' in that sort of category and how does the almera compare to them? I've been in an Almera Gti once before and I must admit I was very impressed with the instant power that was always there!

Thanks EVERYONE for all ya replies, I'll keep the Q's comin! lol

i'm glad you like my car mate cheers :D but yeah the high level brake light comes as standard on the GTi's. window tints prices vary depending on where you are in the country but there is a place local to me www.radecal.net check them out for prices ;)
as for other cars in the same price range, i would say the GTi is the best but I'm biased of course :)

might be tempted to sell mine to u if ur interested in light blue mera gti's,

Back
Top Bottom