Oil for GTi

Hi Everyone.
Whats the best grade of oil to use for a 98 Gti, I am currently using 15w40 but i think it might be too thick ???
:confused:
Thanks

I use Castrol GTX Magnatec 10W-40, at the minute, might switch to fully synthetic on the next oil change :)

Might be worth trying find out what's in your engine already, ideally you want to equal the grade or upgrade...not downgrade. So if it's already got fully synth, stick to that!

Rach

Thanks guys... At the minute I have 15w 40,which i just recently put in when I swapped my cams and lifters, but it hasnt fixed the problem :mad: so thinking I will do another oil change and go down to 10w40 :confused:

PNR_Neil said:
Thanks guys... At the minute I have 15w 40,which i just recently put in when I swapped my cams and lifters, but it hasnt fixed the problem :mad: so thinking I will do another oil change and go down to 10w40 :confused:

What problem were you trying to fix?

Rach

Yes you've been fed bullshit by someone trying to sound like they know what they are on about! clutch has nothing to do with the engine oil. onless your crank or gearbox input shaft oil seals are fubared resulting in oil in the bellhousing. soaking the clucth in oil and then causing it to slip.

those pesky bullshitters.. that opens up another question.. how often should the clutch fluid be changed? I have only had the oil done on mine.. never bothered with the nissan service.. figured when buying the car 4 years ago that it would not be worth much by the time I sell it so as long as the oil and filters are done not too much else will need attention.

gloves86 said:
What problem were you trying to fix?

Rach

The infamous sound of tapping,just changed the lifters and cams last week but no change, will try different oil this weekend, could be 15w40 is too thick to get into the hydraulic lifters ?? "fingers crossed"

Ahh I see :) yeah then 15w40's probably too thick, as the engine's designed to run on 10w40, the thinner the oil the better...gets to places much easier and faster!

Rach

Every 2 years, same as the brake fluid.

Alm Gti said:
those pesky bullshitters.. that opens up another question.. how often should the clutch fluid be changed? I have only had the oil done on mine.. never bothered with the nissan service.. figured when buying the car 4 years ago that it would not be worth much by the time I sell it so as long as the oil and filters are done not too much else will need attention.

Change brake fluid as well.. I have been living in a land of bliss!! now I won't sleep at night (although having a 10 week old son sleep is a distant memory).. I'm joking of course.. I'm still a little shocked at the thread above tbh.. could have almost said oil in the motor.. I thought it was petrol operated??

Neil, this tapping noise unless very loud is quite normal for the gti as the injectors are quite noisy.

Tried bleeding the lifters?

You also don`t need full syn unless you race or rag the car silly.

well for my 2pence worth changed the oil to magnatec and gimmick or not the rattle is severely reduced yes its till there but not noticable with the bonnet down

rowdy-GTi said:
Neil, this tapping noise unless very loud is quite normal for the gti as the injectors are quite noisy.

Tried bleeding the lifters?

You also don`t need full syn unless you race or rag the car silly.

Its not to loud but certainly noticeable, my original cams and rockers were badly scored, looks like previous owner ran the engine dry of oil.
Cams that I fitted last weer are in much better condition, I have some Castrol Magnatec 5w30, which i will put in today, I hope it helps.
Thanks Rowdy

scotz said:
well for my 2pence worth changed the oil to magnatec and gimmick or not the rattle is severely reduced yes its till there but not noticable with the bonnet down

yeah trying Castrol magnatec 5w30 today, cant beat the good stuff. :D

Back
Top Bottom