Sprints Primera eGT

well engine mods got put on hold in favour of coilovers, which i ordered 3 months ago and im still waiting for, havent paid for them yet though so cant complain. be nice to actually see them though . . .

decided to have the bodywork sorted while i had some spare money, and it went from the drivers side and boot to the whole car :lol:

DSC00332.jpg

DSC00331.jpg

engine mods will have to continue once in a month or two, got the manifold and de cat on it for now and some pulleys on there way, and will order an apexi next payday aslong as nothing else comes up.

wish i had the almera back though, was so much fun :(

i love primeras! had 3 of the damn things, lol. im surprised youve said the almera handled better though, ive driven a few and prefer the primera! even compared to my n16, but you must have good tyres, my old gt used to kick the rear end out in the wet!

first thing i did with all my primeras was pull the abs fuse, it just seems to cut in way too early for my liking.

also youve put down your gettin a decat, didnt nissan only fit cats to k reg and newer cars? i know my j reg didnt have one and thats its an mot req. for k reg newer?

i love primeras! had 3 of the damn things, lol. im surprised youve said the almera handled better though, ive driven a few and prefer the primera! even compared to my n16, but you must have good tyres, my old gt used to kick the rear end out in the wet!

first thing i did with all my primeras was pull the abs fuse, it just seems to cut in way too early for my liking.

also youve put down your gettin a decat, didnt nissan only fit cats to k reg and newer cars? i know my j reg didnt have one and thats its an mot req. for k reg newer?

handling is a confusing one tbh, think this one takes alot more balls to drive quick, possibly chassis or maybe just because of the extra power etc, sometimes this one suprises me, sometimes it doesnt seem as great, some days it seems mega responsive etc and others it doesnt but its probably just me imagining it, think it just gets better the harder you push it so at low speeds it doesnt seem inspiring.

i love the ABS, stops 10 times quicker on a wet road than the almera did, only had it kick in a few times and that was provoked, maybe just different driving styles?

this one had a cat, and we had an earlier J reg eZX which also had a cat, apparantly a few early eZX's didnt have them but im not sure how true that is, theres alot of "nissan are random so each cars different" being said, when in reality i think its more logical than people realise, AKAIK most had them but maybe early 1.6's didnt? possible yours was just sitting around for a while before being sold, this one spent 5 months after being built before it was sold and i think others went alot longer.

looking good there mate!

heres a question. Why do some engines produce peak torque fairly high in the rev range such as Jims and others at low to mid range?

His is also fairly flat in comparison to mine which just drops off

looking good there mate!

heres a question. Why do some engines produce peak torque fairly high in the rev range such as Jims and others at low to mid range?

His is also fairly flat in comparison to mine which just drops off

from memory (long time since i read about this stuff as so little time lately) alot of its down to the cams. at lower revs if theres too much air and fuel coming in it wont produce great power, but with milder cams there less so it can run better. at higher revs the more duration and lift the more air and fuel gets in in the short time, so more power is produced, with cams that produce good power at high revs they loose out at low revs for the same reasons, the duration and lift then has a negative effect because theres too much (hence vtec and vvl being good throughout the revs). the GA16 used the same cams across the whole almera range, so grannys going shopping was what the engine was designed for, so low down power is ideal for them and anything higher up the revs is useless as it will rarely go there. that will be why GA16's give good gains aswell, they were effectively restricted to suit the market that they were intended for from the factory, so exhausts, cams, filters etc were all restrictive, maybe not intentionally but why bother with a 1.6 producing say 125bhp standard when all 99% of them will do is go shopping and general driving by people who value reliability above performance?

Agh that makes sence :)

Big visual difference between GA and SR cams, the GA's are "sharper" than the SR cams which are more rounded so would let air/fuel in for a slightly longer time at higher revs compared to the GA where they dont really get a chance to let much in with the short duration. That explains why the torque on mine plummets after its peak. Next stage has got to be cams for me :)

Nice one fella :)

thought i might as well update you all with some new pictures.

was on the rolling road again a few months back, UR pulleys, SSAC, de cat, 2 1/4 system, AFPR and pipercross filter, got 177bhp at the flywheel at hi tech, no whp figures given, seemed a bit high to me but everyone elses was a bit high and it seems to be accepted as accurate seeing at the fpr was set up etc. pulls well now, and seems alot less stressed at high revs now its modified, pulls to 7.5k alot better but then it was making peak power at 7100 on the RR.

jaepics010-1.jpg

jaepics004.jpg

jaepics002.jpg

pretty happy with the progress this year, ordered new wheels the other day should be here in a few weeks and may finally order my coilovers next month, but i have been meaning to order them for a while so who knows :lol:

plenty changing next year, got a few bits together to upgrade to p11 brakes, 280mm all round, and need a bit more power as well i think. suprisingly expensive so far but no regrets, solid base to build on now.

good figures again and nice looking ride, its a similar setup as what i had on my GTI although i had a light fly and not pullies. the fpr must make he big diffrence as i didnt have that and came in at 171 at the fly and that was also with jwt's in.

Looked mint when I saw your car at JAE mate. Impressive gains from only a handful of mods :thumb:

Gotta say that looks mint after the spray work.
I've never really been mad for the Primera always preferred the look of the Almera but then again i've never actually driven one so I can't say much about them. I like the look of the P10 and i'd love to have a go in a Primera after all they used them in the BTCC so they must drive well. I think Autech also did a Primera.

Still it looks sweet and if I had a Primera i'd want one like yours.

I really like that, i think the looks have come back around and now i'd almost call it retro. If it stays like this it'll become a collecters car one day.

thats fuckin awesome jim, id leave those wheels on if it were me, like simcard says its verging on retro, keep it retro cool :) good figures too, seems pretty well sorted now dude :)

new wheels are pro race 1.2's in silver, gone for 17s as i got them dirt cheap brand new and there a small looking wheel anyway, hoping they will keep it subtle but who knows. i love the standard look of it, but just fancied a change for the new year so thought i would get some new wheels and coilovers, probably change the wheels next year anyway i soon get bored :lol: had the choice of refurbed wheels and 4 new tyres which i now need, or brand new wheels and tyres for similar money, i took the easy option.

paintwork cost just over £1k in the end, well worth it to me as every little mark etc got on my nerves, and if the panels didnt match that would ruin it for me so decided to go the full hog while i had the chance.

as for S4's, im thinking a VE might be the next step for the engine? although if S4's came up cheap enough i would buy them for now, but 2010 im looking towards VE i think, and if an engine comes up this year i think i may just buy it.

Back
Top Bottom