Stagea RSFour DAYZ Edition

I'm sure she'll give it up in the end, like you say it'll be summat daft.

A4 lasted long enough for my ruptured Achilles to heal enough to drive a manual!

I'll miss it though, such a comfortable car to drive.

I'm sure she'll give it up in the end, like you say it'll be summat daft.

A4 lasted long enough for my ruptured Achilles to heal enough to drive a manual!

I'll miss it though, such a comfortable car to drive.

You don't need an old man car any more then.

I've got one more little thing to try actually. I had another epiphany in the shower about the coil pack earthing out on the head so I'm going to fit one of my patented acetal mounting rails tomorrow and see if that helps.
If not I'll call in the pros.

Tenacity! you have spook, so keep at it.
I've got hopes up you will get it fired up and running without the pro's.:)

Need another fill in for a bit, spotted a lovely little Ibiza that might do the job.

WhatsApp me Charley, can't see picture messages on this Bill Gates special!

Don't know dude, had about half a dozen picture messages from you (which I can't see) Over the past fortnight!

Stupid windows phone is stupid!

I had nothing better to do today so I got my thermals on and headed to the Farm to have stab at getting her running. I had another epiphany last night about the timing. There is a mark on both cam pulleys and a mark on the crank pulley to set the base timing relative to TDC. I think somewhere along the line, having had the timing belt on and off about 4 times, I had somehow got the cams 180° out to the crank. This meant that when it was on the compression stroke the exhaust valves were open and therefor it had no compression. What was bugging me was the fact I had a new battery on it and it was still managing to turn over the engine after about 2 days of trying. The other thing was that it was making a pumping noise when it turned over. In hindsight it was obvious that that noise was the engine pumping the fuel and air out of the exhaust pipe.
Anyway I took the camshafts out, swapped the inlet cam as the dowel pin had snapped so there was no way of locating it correctly on the shaft, turned the crank over to TDC on CYL#1 and then refitted both camshafts according to their timing marks. Once I had the cam covers off it was clear to see that they were out of phase. I then went about refitting the pipes and throttle body back on along with the CAS, set to the original marks. The battery managed one strong turn of the engine and then gave up so I knew it had compression. Once I had stuck a jump pack on it I tried again... and this happened:

Apologies for the quality of the picture. I think I mast have smudged some oil over the lens in my excitement! The sound is worth it though. :)

Another half a day tidying up the car and refitting bits, fitting some new wheels and decent tires ready for MOT test next Friday or Saturday hopefully. Then it's tax and insurance time.

You got it running, it sounded sweet.
everything else will be a walk in the park surely?
Hopefully. I'm pretty sure I could do a cam change in my sleep now. Had enough practise!
A few odds and ends to clear up and she should be as good as new.

There's a stagea being broken for part's on the bay spook.
If your after anything that is.

edit-ignore me there's quite a few:confused:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom